Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this today and enjoyed it.

but I one thing bothered me throughout the whole thing. Am I wrong in thinking that the mission to destroy that target could have been done with laser guided missiles or bombs? Don't we have the capability to paint targets from space with satellites?
Those were laser guided bombs. No we don't have space lasers. I mean when we are bombing browns riding camels and shit we typically lase from 30k feet so its basically the same thing, but against a real opponent like fictional iran in this film flying under radar its still the aircraft (or a marine in a ghilly suit) thats painting the target.

The whole gotcha of the film was that base/valley is gps jammed requiring laser guided munitions, they opted for laser guided bombs but they could of used AGM-65s, laser guided missiles, called...Mavericks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They said something about GPS being jammed.

Really the only reason they used F-18s is because there was no way they could film F-35s like they did F-18s. All of the actors road in the rear seats of F-18s for their shots, all F-35s are single seat aircraft. Also very unlikely the military would let them take F-35s on joy rides like they did F-18s. F-18s are all old and in the process of more or less being replaced so probably plenty of aircraft to ride hard.

Good movie, though the final 20 minutes was very predictable.
they didn't even ride them that hard. there's a video several pages back of actual top gun trainers reacting to the movie and while they all liked it, they basically said that anything that was done in the movie, they have personally done. on top of that the maneuvers they were doing were all done by average navy pilots. that's not to take away from the movie, just that a lot of it is movie magic and manufactured drama. that being said i definitely noticed that i was gripping my bag of popcorn pretty tightly a few times

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
they didn't even ride them that hard. there's a video several pages back of actual top gun trainers reacting to the movie and while they all liked it, they basically said that anything that was done in the movie, they have personally done. on top of that the maneuvers they were doing were all done by average navy pilots. that's not to take away from the movie, just that a lot of it is movie magic and manufactured drama. that being said i definitely noticed that i was gripping my bag of popcorn pretty tightly a few times
Outside of the parts that they had to bring in a Blue Angels pilot because it was outside of the scope of the capabilities of a normal F/A-18 pilot.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

?

post links dipshit

j00t

About halfway through this, I've enjoyed a lot of the recaps by some experienced pilots.

The mission is addressed (the high-G + laser pod + high G egress) as well @Tuco - plausible and consisted of things they train for at Fallon.
do i have to do ALL the work for you Kiroy Kiroy

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

i think its now the biggest grossing Tom Cruise movie and has beaten domestic Spider-Man No Way Home and Dr Strange 2. It should cross over $1b worldwide pretty soon.
What does this mean in terms of where does that money go? All the actors make a ton of money based on whatever contracts they signed for extra money, right? Then the studio makes a shit ton? Movie money numbers have always been very common, but I guess I just never thought about where all the fucking money goes. And as I type this out I'm thinking there's probably just a long ass fucking line of people all with their hands out looking to get paid.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What does this mean in terms of where does that money go? All the actors make a ton of money based on whatever contracts they signed for extra money, right? Then the studio makes a shit ton? Movie money numbers have always been very common, but I guess I just never thought about where all the fucking money goes. And as I type this out I'm thinking there's probably just a long ass fucking line of people all with their hands out looking to get paid.
The first week of a blockbuster can be as high as 80/20 or even a 90/10 split with the studios taking in most of the ticket price (for domestic US box office). Theaters get the increased concession sales that come with high ticket sales and then each week after their share goes up as viewer numbers drop off. The studio's take pays off print & advertising, distributors, the sales agents, and then the initial investors budget. Profits after that will split between investors and the producers along with any actors that have a % deal.

Regular movies might start out 60/40 in the US while overseas that drops to 20-40% for the studio take. Being a big hit in the US in the first two weeks is the goal.

• 1Like

Caliane

Outside of the parts that they had to bring in a Blue Angels pilot because it was outside of the scope of the capabilities of a normal F/A-18 pilot.
well presumably "maneuvers in a vacuum" versus "Maneuvers in close proximity to another plane with a camera". I would assume the commenters were overlooking the camera aspect.

• 1Like

Caliane

I did see this with my dad. it was just ok imho. Just nonstop nostalgia, and fanservice. Tom did look like he was having a blast. Genuinely happy to be there.

I didn't love the cartoony mission specs. "the enemy, with no visible men" river raid SAM defenses unmanned, in the middle of no where. magic not volcano base.
shot down. and sneak into the base to steal a plane... I would have greatly preferred if they either got captured, or had to make it back to the beach on foot. And got rescued by Navy Seals, either way. would have been another nice "Navy" touch. I liked the sailing part, and could have had more of that too.
enemy super planes! who are they exactly? Also, enemy super planes, you can't possibly fight them! but this old ass f-14 will be able to take out 2. rando f-14 also, is just left with weapons, fuel and flac all armed and ready to go... none of that malfunctions. but the ejector seat does for plot. and the radio does.. for plot.
Gooses kid playing Great balls of fire. he was like 1 when Goose died. his mom teaching him piano. ok but great balls of fire specifically? thats weird. Should have been something from the 2000's.

any know if Val was dubbed by his son here, or was that actually him talking? Edit: decided to watch Val, and see he can talk just barely, so was him. I thought I had heard he couldn't talk at all.

also, I think he just dresses weird. hes not nearly as fat loooking in Val.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
down. and sneak into the base to steal a plane... I l
Gooses kid playing Great balls of fire. he was like 1 when Goose died.

Incorrect, the kid is 4-5 ish on Top Gun and old enough to "sing along with the family"

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
ok. looked to be 2 tops to me. But looking around, the twins were "around 4".

1656174055374.png

Homsar

Crazy this movie is making more money daily than Jurassic world or lightyear

Homsar

I love it. I would have never bet on Strange, Jurassic, or Pixar getting top by this

Screenshot_2022-06-26-10-54-48-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Crazy he has never hit that mark and has been one of the biggest stars for almost 40 years
That's exactly what I was thinking. He's obviously successful just never that successful? So weird.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
While Paramount and Skydance have not officially declared it, industry estimates are expecting "Top Gun: Maverick" to cross $1 billion worldwide on Sunday after it grossed $30.5 million domestic and $44.5 million in overseas markets. That brings its estimated total to $521 million domestic and $484 million international, putting it just past $1 billion globally depending on final Sunday numbers.

In doing so, it also passes "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" as the highest grossing film of the year.

Skydance is John Lasseter. revenge is sweet.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
That's exactly what I was thinking. He's obviously successful just never that successful? So weird.
Well, it's only in recent decades that international money became so prominent. If you adjusted for inflation some of his earlier hits would be equivalent to $300-400+ million domestic blockbusters now.

• 1Like

j00t

well, on top of that, billion dollar films are a pretty recent thing. it was only like, halfway through the MCU that they were making that much, even though a movie like ironman, which is top tier MCU made less than 600m. on top of that it was the best of the ironman movies and it made the least.

i guess "halfway through the MCU" is patently false since the first avengers made like 1.5 billion... but still.

• 1Like