Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Same. I know in the Army everyone had to get PRK because they were worried that a violent head jarring would leave someone with lasik blind.
When I left in 2007 the military only allowed PRK. I don't know if they have changed since then.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bob really stood out to me because everyone thought they were alphas and he was the only beta.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Well holy shit. That was one of the best movies I've ever seen. The cinematography was unreal. Fantastic story.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This was so good it may induce a mid life crisis because I wasn't a fighter pilot.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Unpopular take, and for that I am sorry.

What a piece of !@#$ movie. From the nonsensical "No enemy named" to the useless characters all abound. The reason Top Gun (1985) is so remembered is not because it was good....it's just old , and our memories tend to be attached to it.

This was a lazy rehash, where you could have shown 45 minutes of the kick ass flight sequences with no content and achieved so much more.

Oh and hey, our missiles hit every single airplane on the runway EXCEPT the one under the secret canopy.

Jesus !@#$ Christ!

Edit: Sorry about that, I guess I was just cranky when I saw it.

Last edited:
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

i think its now the biggest grossing Tom Cruise movie and has beaten domestic Spider-Man No Way Home and Dr Strange 2. It should cross over $1b worldwide pretty soon.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unpopular take, and for that I am sorry.

What a piece of !@#$ movie. From the nonsensical "No enemy named" to the useless characters all abound. The reason Top Gun (1985) is so remembered is not because it was good....it's just old , and our memories tend to be attached to it.

This was a lazy rehash, where you could have shown 45 minutes of the kick ass flight sequences with no content and achieved so much more.

Oh and hey, our missiles hit every single airplane on the runway EXCEPT the one under the secret canopy.

Jesus !@#$ Christ!

Edit: Sorry about that, I guess I was just cranky when I saw it.
The first had an unnamed enemy country as well.

And they bombed the runway, not the hangars. You know, so planes couldn't be launched. Nitpick that an F-14 probably can't take off there if you want to be critical.

• 2Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Saw this today and enjoyed it.

but I one thing bothered me throughout the whole thing. Am I wrong in thinking that the mission to destroy that target could have been done with laser guided missiles or bombs? Don't we have the capability to paint targets from space with satellites?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

but I one thing bothered me throughout the whole thing. Am I wrong in thinking that the mission to destroy that target could have been done with laser guided missiles or bombs? Don't we have the capability to paint targets from space with satellites?
look its compelling and fun. the fuck is wrong with yall nitpicking the real life version of the death star trench run.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

just assume bombs/missiles delivered from anything other than a jet flying below radar and SAM elevation would have been shot down, and then enjoy the fucking awesome flight scenes

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I mean if you really want to nitpick, why didn't the SAMs shoot down all those Tomahawks? Or for that matter, couldn't we have launched a few more Tomahawks and taken out the fucking SAMs altogether, since apparently they couldn't be shot down?

But then you don't have an awesome movie. So I'm ok with that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
there was some reason given in movie why they had to use old planes that can't use new advanced weapons but i don't really remember it and who gives a fuck, as an old man i support always prioritizing old stuff over new

except titties

• 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuckin awesome movie. One of the best sequels of all time.

The footage they got of the aircraft and the flying is incredible. Great actors, engaging story, wonderful pacing... Murica, fuck yeah!

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
there was some reason given in movie why they had to use old planes that can't use new advanced weapons but i don't really remember it and who gives a fuck, as an old man i support always prioritizing old stuff over new

except titties

Did they actually give a reason? I must have missed it. I was wondering the whole time while they had to use older gen planes

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Did they actually give a reason? I must have missed it. I was wondering the whole time while they had to use older gen planes
They said something about GPS being jammed.

Really the only reason they used F-18s is because there was no way they could film F-35s like they did F-18s. All of the actors road in the rear seats of F-18s for their shots, all F-35s are single seat aircraft. Also very unlikely the military would let them take F-35s on joy rides like they did F-18s. F-18s are all old and in the process of more or less being replaced so probably plenty of aircraft to ride hard.

Good movie, though the final 20 minutes was very predictable.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Pretty amazing box office success. It had the second highest fourth weekend of all time (Avatar being #1). That's crazy impressive in this day and age.

• 1Like