Uncomfortable Situations

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
About 10 years ago I was picking up my dad at the train station (he has refused to fly since the 80's) and as we are picking up his luggage he says we need to wait for someone before we leave. Turns out that he promised 2 random strangers he met on the train that I would drop them off on the way. He was unable to understand why I would be angry about a 45 min drive back taking nearly 3 hours in a vehicle to was barely able to hold the 2 extra people and all their crap. The best part is that he promised this to them 2 days prior so they cancelled their transportation, while I wasn't even fucking asked if it was OK.
Fuck the strangers and then take your dad to the airport and leave him there.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They don't mean anything by it on a conscious level, but they really don't seem to understand that sometimes we need time to ourselves. They also don't seem to understand my time is a limited thing, and that as a 30-year-old I am no longer in a position where my family should be decidind what I will or will not do. Doesn't matter; I was also recently told that I would be creating a commemorative art work of my late uncle as part of a Christmas present. Always fun, getting a phone call from your mother who has already decided you will say yes to a project and also perform all the legwork of calling family members and going to people's houses trying to track down a good photograph to use as reference. Given my plans for my own Christmas presents and my sister also asking for a picture for herself, that brings the number of non-commercial images I have to make by Christmas (ontop of my usual work) up to 6. Good shit.

You need to set some boundaries for yourself, and you're right, they probably don't understand. How can they if you never tell them? They're not mindreaders.

Next time you are invited to something you don't want to go to, tell them another time because you have some together-time with your husband planned (even if that involves sitting on the couch watching netflix all day) or whatever else you were planning to do.

Don't let that shit fester because you or someone else will snap sooner or later and it will be all the worse for it.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It took forever for my family to understand the church wasn't "family time" despite me not being a believer. Traditions are hard to break.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You need to set some boundaries for yourself, and you're right, they probably don't understand. How can they if you never tell them? They're not mindreaders.

Next time you are invited to something you don't want to go to, tell them another time because you have some together-time with your husband planned (even if that involves sitting on the couch watching netflix all day) or whatever else you were planning to do.

Don't let that shit fester because you or someone else will snap sooner or later and it will be all the worse for it.

That essentially is dead on. It sounds somewhat disingenuous, but people are not mind readers. The status quo won't change unless someone makes it change

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Do situations like the ones described in here actually make some of you people "uncomfortable"? I thought the whole "introvert, sheltered nerd" thing was like a defense mechanism to just be a terrible person...You guys know you can talk to these people right? Explain things to them? Either they understand the words, or they don't. Either way, getting "uncomfortable" about them seems a little strange.

I was at wrap party a few years ago and got offered some free coke from another crew member, but I had to be the one to tell a mutual acquaintance that he couldn't tag along (he was known for this) because we didn't want to hear him cry and whine about his ex-wife while we were getting high (he was known for this).

Boy, THAT was an Uncomfortable Situation. It was right on the dance floor too. Whew.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It made op uncomfortable because he was listening to papa roach and his mom just don't get him man.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My mom and dad are awesome, but been running into a similar problem with them lately (mostly through my mother).

Boy works 60-70 hours a week, I work 25 hours at the store and aim for 20-25 hours of work at home. For the past six months or so, barring a Monday or Tuesday here and there, we don't get a day together except for Saturdays. This has been explained many, maaany times to the family.
Saturday has apparently been designated 'family day', as we have been consistently roped into family obligations that takes most, if not all, of our day off. It's a busy season what with my niece's and nephew's birthday falling close together, but almost every Saturday we've had to go to a thing a my sister's house. Birthday, cook-out, another birthday, cook-out, dinner and D&D, renfaire (and when that got rained out, had to go back to sister's house all day for D&D even though I told them I had work to do. Got home around 11pm.)

I get a phonecall yesterday telling me we're all set and tickets have been bought for some new activity this Saturday. I have now been Shanghai'd into working Saturdays as well for the foreseeable future. She bought the tickets without double-checking with me or even asking our availability, then got incredibly shitty about it when I told her we were both working and there was no way out of it (I had to fight my manager to have last Saturday off for a concert that I'd already shelled out hundreds of dollars for. Didn't matter my name was in the day-off book, GM scheduled me for it anyway.)

Thing is, it's a money thing too. We're not poor by any stretch of the imagination, but any couple that has a freelance artist as part of the mix is going to be dragging ass a bit when it comes to fiscal solvency. 50$ here for wine and our chip-in to pay for food. 100$ here for renfaire tickets. 60$ here for nephew/niece's birthday presents. 80$ for band t-shirts for the fam. Most of this money comes out of my end because I'm the one that ends up with cash. I hardly begrudge them the necessary expenditures that show you love and cherish your family members, but that shit does add up.

They don't mean anything by it on a conscious level, but they really don't seem to understand that sometimes we need time to ourselves. They also don't seem to understand my time is a limited thing, and that as a 30-year-old I am no longer in a position where my family should be decidind what I will or will not do. Doesn't matter; I was also recently told that I would be creating a commemorative art work of my late uncle as part of a Christmas present. Always fun, getting a phone call from your mother who has already decided you will say yes to a project and also perform all the legwork of calling family members and going to people's houses trying to track down a good photograph to use as reference. Given my plans for my own Christmas presents and my sister also asking for a picture for herself, that brings the number of non-commercial images I have to make by Christmas (ontop of my usual work) up to 6. Good shit.

Lol time to say fuck off to your family.

This is the same problem many of us tech minded ppl face.

"Hey my computer is slow... can you take a look"

"i bought this new video card, can you install it?"

"I DON"T KNOW WHATS WRONG BUT I NEED YOU TO COME LOOK AT IT NOW!!!"

They will never understand the complexity of it all from "just a few minutes of your time", to "shit, i have to roll up my sleeves for this one"

Just say fuck all to family art, b/c art pays the bills, pretty simple.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's uncomfortable because being at odds with your family can make for a lot of awkward situations.

It's also annoying that family can't comprehend why you don't want to do things when they feel like you should be happy to help no matter how you explain why

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Set limits and look out for yourself. You mom's "friend" isn't your family, which is literally the only group of people you should feel obligated in going out of your way for, and only if it's for their direct benefit. Spend your life trying to make people happy, and you'll quickly become cynical as most don't reciprocate. Show integrity to those that have little, and again you will quickly become cynical.

Learning what/who is *really* worth your time is a great lesson to learn, particularly when you wake up one day in your forties and realize that time is becoming a far more precious commodity than it once was.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I dunno, I'm torn on this one.

On the one hand, making someone take a taxi or shuttle from the airport is a huge dick move. Thats what people who dont know anyone in the city they just landed in have to do. If a friend or family member lands at your airport and you make them take a taxi, youre a dick.

On the other hand, it aint your friend, its your moms. I can kind of understand your mom asking you, honestly. Its a huge dick move to make a friend take a taxi from the airport. Your mom doesnt want to be a dick. The only uncool part is assuming youd do it. Asking you? Thats not even a little rude, its just asking a favor.

Both positions are understandable. The only part thats not understandable is this "oh poor me I'm an introvert and might have to talk to people" shit. Thats a weakness, not an excuse. Get over your weakness. On balance, my ruling is: you need to pick up the person at the airport to get over your insecurity. A grown man should be able to pass a couple hours in the company of a stranger without discomfort.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

On the one hand, making someone take a taxi or shuttle from the airport is a huge dick move. Thats what people who dont know anyone in the city they just landed in have to do. If a friend or family member lands at your airport and you make them take a taxi, youre a dick.

On the other hand, it aint your friend, its your moms. I can kind of understand your mom asking you, honestly. Its a huge dick move to make a friend take a taxi from the airport. Your mom doesnt want to be a dick. The only uncool part is assuming youd do it. Asking you? Thats not even a little rude, its just asking a favor.

Both positions are understandable. The only part thats not understandable is this "oh poor me I'm an introvert and might have to talk to people" shit. Thats a weakness, not an excuse. Get over your weakness. On balance, my ruling is: you need to pick up the person at the airport to get over your insecurity. A grown man should be able to pass a couple hours in the company of a stranger without discomfort.

A grown man should also be able to say no.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would do anything for my parents. They have done anything for me. (Dad is gone now, but I moved back home a couple years before he died when he started to go way down hill) Mom didn't handle dad dying at all well. So I am living the dream age 47 and living in Mom's basement playing video games.

I will be here till she dies. She needs the help, and something to live for, I now need help as well since 2 heart attacks a couple years ago caused some major damage to me.

The rest of the family I kinda act like a bank, I do something for them I count that as a deposit. They do something for me, it counts as a withdrawal. I try not to go too much into debt before I get too busy/unable to do something. So far it has worked out decently.

Stuff like the Airport trips I just count as a time deposit, waste 2 hours of my time I want to get two hours of yours in return or something roughly equivalent.

It is kinda mercenary but seems to work for me.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Palum, I agree with that too. Like I said, both positions were understandable, just not the notion that being exposed to a stranger for 2 hours was some kind of hardship.

I hate people, but I wouldnt be "uncomfortable" picking up a stranger for my mom. I might say no, but I wouldnt be all "uncomfortable" about it if I had to do it. WTF is that shit?

• 1Picard

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do situations like the ones described in here actually make some of you people "uncomfortable"? I thought the whole "introvert, sheltered nerd" thing was like a defense mechanism to just be a terrible person...You guys know you can talk to these people right? Explain things to them? Either they understand the words, or they don't. Either way, getting "uncomfortable" about them seems a little strange.

If you're conflict averse by nature it certainly can feel uncomfortable. People make a request and you go along with it because saying no feels like you're being an asshole and you think there will be an argument. Some people only have it when dealing with certain people (i.e. they won't stand up to their boss or their mother). I'm sure you're familiar with the trope of the husband who is completely controlled by his wife, that didn't come out of nowhere either.

It's one of those things where if you brain is wired differently it is never an issue, but it is an aspect of personality that can be changed with practice.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Extroverts don't understand introverts and expect them to act like them, news at eleven. I don't see why it's unfathomable to think someone would feel uncomfortable being in a situation they don't like for hours at a time. It's not like he be said he was having panic attacks about it or something severe.

But yeah, should just say no as time isn't worth wasting when you're expected to accept any forced obligation. Consideration is important or you'll be a doormat.

Last edited:

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I don't think anything further than a, "I don't want to spend 2 hours on my day off doing that" is warranted. That is why taxis/uber exist.

Bull shit aside, I can relate when you say your mom doesn't get you. My parents love me unconditionally and I love them, but we are very different people. Some people have like a best friend relationship with their parents and that'll just never be us.

We actually had an "uncomfortable" dilemma in our house recently. Live in NO, wife is originally from Ohio, her dad and step-mom were coming visit and asked us if it would be ok if someone even they barely know stayed at our house along with them. It was a lady that the step-mom met on some photography trip out of town someplace. So we don't know this lady at all and she lived in a different part of the country from all of us and they met her once on a trip. Although I thought it awkward and a little rude to even ask I let the wife decide since it is her dad and she decided she wasn't comfortable with it. She simply told them, no I'm not comfortable with that. And in the end it all worked out, they stayed at a hotel in the heart of the French Quarter because of it; out of our hair and they were within walking distance of just about everything so they didn't have to rely on us being their chauffeurs. I believe everyone had a better visit because of it, I know the wife and I certainly did and I'm fairly confident they did too.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah, I don't think anything further than a, "I don't want to spend 2 hours on my day off doing that" is warranted. That is why taxis/uber exist.

Bull shit aside, I can relate when you say your mom doesn't get you. My parents love me unconditionally and I love them, but we are very different people. Some people have like a best friend relationship with their parents and that'll just never be us.

We actually had an "uncomfortable" dilemma in our house recently. Live in NO, wife is originally from Ohio, her dad and step-mom were coming visit and asked us if it would be ok if someone even they barely know stayed at our house along with them. It was a lady that the step-mom met on some photography trip out of town someplace. So we don't know this lady at all and she lived in a different part of the country from all of us and they met her once on a trip. Although I thought it awkward and a little rude to even ask I let the wife decide since it is her dad and she decided she wasn't comfortable with it. She simply told them, no I'm not comfortable with that. And in the end it all worked out, they stayed at a hotel in the heart of the French Quarter because of it; out of our hair and they were within walking distance of just about everything so they didn't have to rely on us being their chauffeurs. I believe everyone had a better visit because of it, I know the wife and I certainly did and I'm fairly confident they did too.

Well not for that random lady who was trying to commit her first two generation family homicide.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Depends on the frequency of these type of fairly inconvenient favors. If I lived at home and my parents asked me for something that took a few hours every couple months i'd be fine. If they asked me once or twice a week we'd have problems. Seems pretty easy.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They also don't seem to understand my time is a limited thing, and that as a 30-year-old I am no longer in a position where my family should be decidind what I will or will not do. Doesn't matter

I'm having an uncomfortable situation just reading your post!

Your family shouldn't be deciding what you do with your time, but the only doesn't matter is because you allow it to not matter. You probably don't think it's that easy, but it really is. You just have to suffer a little discomfort while you tell your family, "Sorry, I'm busy on Saturday for the rest of the year. Yes, literally. Oh, and sorry, I don't have time to work for free. I know that ruins your plans, but how often do you into work without getting paid?" Then stop answering calls, responding to messages, etc.

That will violate some expectations initially of course, but the price for continuing to avoid that discomfort is that you will never get your free time back, and you'll never be rid of this stress.

Until you value your time, no one else will either.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Simple. You're a grown ass man or woman, and should set the boundaries, not expect the people who wiped your ass and housed and fed you to suddenly see you as independent.