Uncomfortable Situations

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
All these bad childhoods and broken families help to explain why there's so much negativity on these forums.

My family is awesome and I would do anything for them. But I wouldn't pick up some rando from the airport on my day off if one of them asked. Then again, they wouldn't ask cause they know I'd tell them no.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
About 10 years ago I was picking up my dad at the train station (he has refused to fly since the 80's) and as we are picking up his luggage he says we need to wait for someone before we leave. Turns out that he promised 2 random strangers he met on the train that I would drop them off on the way. He was unable to understand why I would be angry about a 45 min drive back taking nearly 3 hours in a vehicle to was barely able to hold the 2 extra people and all their crap. The best part is that he promised this to them 2 days prior so they cancelled their transportation, while I wasn't even fucking asked if it was OK.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
About 10 years ago I was picking up my dad at the train station (he has refused to fly since the 80's) and as we are picking up his luggage he says we need to wait for someone before we leave. Turns out that he promised 2 random strangers he met on the train that I would drop them off on the way. He was unable to understand why I would be angry about a 45 min drive back taking nearly 3 hours in a vehicle to was barely able to hold the 2 extra people and all their crap. The best part is that he promised this to them 2 days prior so they cancelled their transportation, while I wasn't even fucking asked if it was OK.

I would have said no.

Jay-Z Christ people, it's ok to be a man

• 1Picard

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
A great way to have an incredibly healthy relationship with family is to move a state or two away. Not even kidding.

• 7Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
All these bad childhoods and broken families help to explain why there's so much negativity on these forums.

My family is awesome and I would do anything for them. But I wouldn't pick up some rando from the airport on my day off if one of them asked. Then again, they wouldn't ask cause they know I'd tell them no.
Yeah this isn't about picking up family though it's about randos

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

No shit, that's exactly what I said. I wouldn't pick up some rando even if my family asked me. All that awful WoW raiding is rotting your brain.

Do more pet battles imo. They require higher-level thinking to regenerate your brain tissues.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well your post is confusing because you say you'd do anything for them but then innediately list something you wouldn't.

Fuckin levelling some pets, gonna settle this on the battlefield

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Well, your dad shot his load into your mom, so now you have to do stupid shit like this. And it was entirely his doing, b/c he told these randos 2 days ahead of time to cancel their van or whatever.

These randos probably asked, like normal ppl... "you sure your son won't mind"???

your dad said "he's my grown up sperm, he'll do whatever the fuck i say!!!"

and they said "fair enough"

No shit, that's exactly what I said. I wouldn't pick up some rando even if my family asked me. All that awful WoW raiding is rotting your brain.

Do more pet battles imo. They require higher-level thinking to regenerate your brain tissues.
actually you're in the wrong, b/c youre starting off like we're all degenerates who don't give a fuck about family, when it was clear that this post was about picking up randos

then you say you don't pick up randos

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am adopted and that teaches you quickly that family can be chosen. My family is who I choose and I treat them back the way they treat me.

Luckily I like all my current family. Strangers though .... the only person I would do that favor for is my wife and that's because I know she wouldn't ask me if it wasn't important.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Except everyone one of you fags who had terrible families growing up chimed in about how you wouldn't even pick up a parent.

Also, OP sounds like a whiny faggot. 32 and my mom does even get me...such an angsty teen still

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seriously. Just live halfway across the country if you have issues with the Fam. It isn't like they'll visit!

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Except everyone one of you fags who had terrible families growing up chimed in about how you wouldn't even pick up a parent.

Also, OP sounds like a whiny faggot. 32 and my mom does even get me...such an angsty teen still
This is the first time i've lived more than 30mins (90actually) away from an airport.

Shit i hope my entire time out here in fucksville Kansas no one visits me or wife, i'd hate to make that drive out to KCI just to bring em back to this shit place.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

I have to admit this is the first thing I thought of as well. Like what doesn't she "get"? That you're lazy and antisocial?

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Best advice for this or any relationship... Figure out your bottom lines then stick to them. Personally, I wouldn't mind picking up a friend of a friend. Pay it forward and all that. But if your mom or whoever asks you to do something that you arent sure about... Ask yourself what you would do if an acquaintance asked you the same thing. You shouldn't change your answer just because "family"

Secondly, if you aren't going to do it, just say no. You don't need an excuse, you don't need justification. If you give either of those people start thinking that you would if you could. So they start problem solving to figure out how you can still do it.

"hey want to go see the new Shia LaBeouf art exhibit next weekend?"

"oh sorry, I'm busy"

"oh how bout we go Monday instead?"

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If any of my family asked me to pick up their friend I didn't know, I would probably just tell them "na, I got shit to do." If they said it was really really important to them, then I probably would do it. I trust most of my family though and if they vouch for someone, I can trust they'll at least be normal enough for me to not have to dump them at the closest gas station.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I would have said no.

Jay-Z Christ people, it's ok to be a man

The only reason I went through with it is because those people had cancelled their transportation.

He's been volunteering my time to other people for my entire life and it's only within the last few years that I've finally gotten through to him to check with me first. He's an extreme extrovert who will overhear random people's conversations and insert himself into it whereas I'm your run of the mill introverted nerd. He just doesn't understand how I wouldn't want to spend my time fixing some rando's computer, because he would do it if he knew how.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The only reason I went through with it is because those people had cancelled their transportation.

He's been volunteering my time to other people for my entire life and it's only within the last few years that I've finally gotten through to him to check with me first. He's an extreme extrovert who will overhear random people's conversations and insert himself into it whereas I'm your run of the mill introverted nerd. He just doesn't understand how I wouldn't want to spend my time fixing some rando's computer, because he would do it if he knew how.

Yea sucks to be them

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
My mom and dad are awesome, but been running into a similar problem with them lately (mostly through my mother).

Boy works 60-70 hours a week, I work 25 hours at the store and aim for 20-25 hours of work at home. For the past six months or so, barring a Monday or Tuesday here and there, we don't get a day together except for Saturdays. This has been explained many, maaany times to the family.
Saturday has apparently been designated 'family day', as we have been consistently roped into family obligations that takes most, if not all, of our day off. It's a busy season what with my niece's and nephew's birthday falling close together, but almost every Saturday we've had to go to a thing a my sister's house. Birthday, cook-out, another birthday, cook-out, dinner and D&D, renfaire (and when that got rained out, had to go back to sister's house all day for D&D even though I told them I had work to do. Got home around 11pm.)

I get a phonecall yesterday telling me we're all set and tickets have been bought for some new activity this Saturday. I have now been Shanghai'd into working Saturdays as well for the foreseeable future. She bought the tickets without double-checking with me or even asking our availability, then got incredibly shitty about it when I told her we were both working and there was no way out of it (I had to fight my manager to have last Saturday off for a concert that I'd already shelled out hundreds of dollars for. Didn't matter my name was in the day-off book, GM scheduled me for it anyway.)

Thing is, it's a money thing too. We're not poor by any stretch of the imagination, but any couple that has a freelance artist as part of the mix is going to be dragging ass a bit when it comes to fiscal solvency. 50$ here for wine and our chip-in to pay for food. 100$ here for renfaire tickets. 60$ here for nephew/niece's birthday presents. 80$ for band t-shirts for the fam. Most of this money comes out of my end because I'm the one that ends up with cash. I hardly begrudge them the necessary expenditures that show you love and cherish your family members, but that shit does add up.

They don't mean anything by it on a conscious level, but they really don't seem to understand that sometimes we need time to ourselves. They also don't seem to understand my time is a limited thing, and that as a 30-year-old I am no longer in a position where my family should be decidind what I will or will not do. Doesn't matter; I was also recently told that I would be creating a commemorative art work of my late uncle as part of a Christmas present. Always fun, getting a phone call from your mother who has already decided you will say yes to a project and also perform all the legwork of calling family members and going to people's houses trying to track down a good photograph to use as reference. Given my plans for my own Christmas presents and my sister also asking for a picture for herself, that brings the number of non-commercial images I have to make by Christmas (ontop of my usual work) up to 6. Good shit.

• 1Like