Underrated science fiction movies

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Flight of the Navigator, The Philadelphia Experiment, The Last Starfighter, and Explorers... was this the Underrated SciFi movie thread or the SciFi films that defined my childhood thread?

Juvarisx

Florida
eXistenZ was strange but I enjoyed it a fair bit. Its Cronenberg which tells you all you need to know.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think so. It's my favorite sci-fi film and possibly my favorite film period.

Everyone seems to hate the ending except for me. I don't know why. Pinbacker is necessary to convey the underlying message/theme of the story.
I agree, I thought the whole thing was great.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Oh, forgot A.I. Though no one else I know liked it.

And Johnny Mnemonic!

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure if it's exactly underrated but A Boy and His Dog, mainly for the closing lines
wink.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I watched Primer for the second time last night (first time was years ago). Much like Astrocreep, I can follow it fine up until about the final third of the movie, when they see the guy sitting outside the house at night.

It's not the time travel aspect that confuses me, but rather the way the story is explained in such a disjointed and vague manner (which I'm assuming was done purposely). I especially get lost during the big "reveal" at the end when you have a couple different versions of people doing different things without much to tell them apart. I'm also confused about Aaron's motivations. Is it all connected to helping Abe impress Rachel by stopping the shotgun ex boyfriend?

Despite my inability to fully grasp it, it's a fucking awesome movie nonetheless.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Man, I thought I loved sci-fi, and I enjoyed most of the movies people have been listing, but I absolutely cannot stand Event Horizon or Pandorum. I thought they were both terrible, terrible movies. I originally thought that Event Horizon was simply a matter of me being older than most of you when I saw it, but Pandorum was recent so that can't be it. Although I'm totally considering re-watching Pandorum simply because Antje Traue was in it and I obviously didn't appreciate her enough the first time around.

And I'm with Astro and the Mayor, Primer was too much for me. I watched the whole thing, and felt I understood a good part of it, but I guarantee there are layers and layers I'm completely unaware of, and probably incapable of comprehending.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Event Horizon has to be watched on a really bitchin sound setup. Otherwise it falls flat. It was pretty awesome in theater.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
i am really confused about the concept of "underrated" in this thread. almost all of the movies mentioned here have > 100k* ratings on IMDB and a rating of > 6. who the fuck is underrating these movies?

* even super-blockbuster movies rarely get > 400k votes, so 100k is really big.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i am really confused about the concept of "underrated" in this thread. almost all of the movies mentioned here have > 100k* ratings on IMDB and a rating of > 6. who the fuck is underrating these movies?

* even super-blockbuster movies rarely get > 400k votes, so 100k is really big.
All these list threads always turn into giant circle jerks that disregard the point. Not a surprise.

Hey, I got one, Star Wars!

Caliane

All these list threads always turn into giant circle jerks that disregard the point. Not a surprise.

hrm. well now mention it...

If any of you didn't give Star Wars: the clone wars animated series a shot. or did and were annoyed by the Ashoka insert. Give it a shot. And stick with it past season 1. it gets pretty good, and is easily the best Star wars thing since Kotor 1.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
hrm. well now mention it...

If any of you didn't give Star Wars: the clone wars animated series a shot. or did and were annoyed by the Ashoka insert. Give it a shot. And stick with it past season 1. it gets pretty good, and is easily the best Star wars thing since Kotor 1.
Put it in the TV house, asshole. This thread is for underratedmoviesthat everyone already loves!

Binkles_sl

shitlord

Poorly operationally defined topics get what they deserve (e.g. Underrated: underestimate the extent, value, or importance of (someone or something)).