Utnayan Backlog Challenge: Part 4 ends March 31

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think as long as you can post proof of beating the main story it's fine. I haven't played it, but it makes me think of Diablo 3, where the first run is 18 hours to kill diablo but many hours can be sunk afterwards. Anyone that's played Lost Ark want to weigh in?
Moot point, as I looked at my achievements and I did it all back in February. Oops!

Also, there is a main story quest, but it stops for a while until you get a bunch of gear, because we essentially got 3 expansions immediately here in the US. So it's a little weird in that you beat "base game" , then you can spend dozens of hours farming gear and stuff, then do expansion 2, repeat, and do expansion 3.

All that to say I won't be counting it for this month. Lol

yaph

Molten Core Raider
5 HLTB points, 12 total for the month.

1647189998671.png

1647190007525.png

Entertaining game, highly recommend for FPS lovers if you see it on sale.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Never gonna beat this shit if I keep spending hours on a fistfight because I'm stubborn and don't want to lose. For some reason this is ok, but this same concept and idea in Elden Ring pisses me off and isn't fun?

Dude you need to fix your shit! Given what you’ve said about your stubbornness, there’s no reason you can’t/shouldn’t play ER. It’s worth it, fucking masterpiece.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My all time favorite NES.

Personally I'd say either Dragon Warrior 3 or 4 is my favorite NES game but I'd put SMB3 right behind them. Final Fantasy 1 and Destiny of an Emperor probably round out the top five.

If non-US Famicom games that I didn't play until way later count, FF3 and DOAE2 were both pretty solid and would push their way into the top five, replacing FF1 and DOAE.

Mega Man 2/3/4 are like right up there too, so is Kirby's Adventure. NES was such a good system.

I wish the original Metroid were better because Metroid is one of my favorite serieses. First entry is pretty rough now though.

Dude you need to fix your shit! Given what you’ve said about your stubbornness, there’s no reason you can’t/shouldn’t play ER. It’s worth it, fucking masterpiece.

Crone Crone This is true, you already have Elden Ring and you're only doing yourself a disservice by not trying it out. Do some research on the classes and see what interests you. Astrologer and Samurai both seem pretty good for beginners.

ER is honestly one if the best games of all time

Crone

Seananigans Seananigans Rajaah Rajaah Bro's, I'm broken and I know it. I knew that if I went and bought gorilla arms, or other mods that Buck would be easy as shit. Did I do that? nope, I kept reloading the save until I beat his ass. Lol. I admit that I remembered about consumables to boost health, stamina, and stamina regen. That made things a tad bit easier. Ugh. And you know what? Instead of feeling relieved that the annoying shit was over, I felt good about beating the fight. Was like fuck yea!! That's something that I typically don't feel from fights in Soulsbourne games.

So there's that stubbornness, and for the Tree Sentinel in the very beginning of the game I should just mover around him, go farm up some more shit, get to know my build better, and actually get to know the controls better, and then come back and try and beat these fights. :(

After Cyberpunk I'll give it another shot.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Seananigans Seananigans Rajaah Rajaah Bro's, I'm broken and I know it. I knew that if I went and bought gorilla arms, or other mods that Buck would be easy as shit. Did I do that? nope, I kept reloading the save until I beat his ass. Lol. I admit that I remembered about consumables to boost health, stamina, and stamina regen. That made things a tad bit easier. Ugh. And you know what? Instead of feeling relieved that the annoying shit was over, I felt good about beating the fight. Was like fuck yea!! That's something that I typically don't feel from fights in Soulsbourne games.

So there's that stubbornness, and for the Tree Sentinel in the very beginning of the game I should just mover around him, go farm up some more shit, get to know my build better, and actually get to know the controls better, and then come back and try and beat these fights. :(

I mean if you want to be stubborn there’s nothing stopping you from killing the tree sentinel first. That’s what’s so mind-boggling about it! Seems right up your alley.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220311_155255.jpg

Finished Dynasty Warriors 8, went through the story modes of all four kingdoms (yeah there's a fourth now). There's no trophy for doing any of this, weirdly enough, all the trophies are for like Free Mode and random shit.

20220313_171639.jpg

Here I've got all of the stages unlocked in Free Mode, which shows I beat 'em in story mode.

I chipped away at this in small doses over the last couple months and it was a fun time, probably the best DW game since 3-5. Might check out 9, too bad I hear it's kind of junk unfortunately.

Screenshot_20220313-173623_Samsung Internet.jpg

I actually played the Xtreme Legends version which is less time than standard DW8 on HLTB despite being the exact same story mode as far as I know. Still, I'll take the 18, that's probably about how long it actually took.

20220313_171949.jpg

Also Guan Yinping is a freaking unicorn and I wish the game gave you more chances to play as her (she unlocks late in the story). 49.5+18=67.5

1646624191892.png

• 1Like

Crone

I mean if you want to be stubborn there’s nothing stopping you from killing the tree sentinel first. That’s what’s so mind-boggling about it! Seems right up your alley.
It wasn't fun the dozen times I tried him. I would die, not feel I made progress and wasn't having fun in the attempts. Maybe that's my class, I don't know. I wanted to try a caster so I had a long spear, and a couple of spells but they were largely useless against him.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It wasn't fun the dozen times I tried him. I would die, not feel I made progress and wasn't having fun in the attempts. Maybe that's my class, I don't know. I wanted to try a caster so I had a long spear, and a couple of spells but they were largely useless against him.

Fairly sure the full caster can range him down with the starting spell, or the samurai can shoot him to death with the longbow.

So how does this compare to the other games you’ve been playing recently where you’ll bang your head on something for hours? How do you feel you make progress during those but not From games? Genuinely curious! This is interesting to me.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, the Tree Sentinel is like Vile at the beginning of Mega Man X, or Gades in Lufia to get obscure. You're not supposed to beat him at the beginning. I beat him about 4 hours into the game myself, after I downed a couple other bosses. The world map also lets you put down icons/markers, so you can put a skull down every time you encounter a tough boss so that you don't forget about it later, thus helping your OCD because you aren't "leaving it behind". I also had a thing about clearing every boss I found, just not necessarily right when I found them. I think I cleared everything I found in the game outside of one or two chariot dungeons because F chariots.

Crone

Fairly sure the full caster can range him down with the starting spell, or the samurai can shoot him to death with the longbow.

So how does this compare to the other games you’ve been playing recently where you’ll bang your head on something for hours? How do you feel you make progress during those but not From games? Genuinely curious! This is interesting to me.
Hard to explain. I think that I just needed to get more into the game, but I didn't give it that chance. If I knew my abilities and was just a matter of perfecting everything I think the fights would be a lot better. For the Tree Sentinel, I just was too new.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220315_072757.jpg

Finished Ikaruga on Switch. It's a shooter that was highly-acclaimed so I plunked down $15 for it a while back, not something I normally do for an unknown, but it seemed decent enough. Turned out it's obscenely difficult and I could never get into it, though I chipped at it for a while to try and get my money's worth (didn't, really).

20220315_072725.jpg

Finally today I turned the difficulty down and cranked up the lives and just bruteforced the game to be done with it finally.

20220315_072803.jpg

I mean, look at this, it's ludicrous. And this is on NORMAL. I could have turned it all the way down to Easy, but I didn't want to risk having to play it twice if the final stage didn't unlock or something, as a lot of shooters do on easy mode.

20220315_072807.jpg

Seriously look at this, I'm too old for this shit.

In any case, that's another 1.5, which added to my 67.5 puts me at a cool 69 points. Now I can't wait to delete this off my Switch.

1646624191892.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Crone

View attachment 403377

Finished Ikaruga on Switch. It's a shooter that was highly-acclaimed so I plunked down $15 for it a while back, not something I normally do for an unknown, but it seemed decent enough. Turned out it's obscenely difficult and I could never get into it, though I chipped at it for a while to try and get my money's worth (didn't, really).

View attachment 403378

Finally today I turned the difficulty down and cranked up the lives and just bruteforced the game to be done with it finally.

View attachment 403376

I mean, look at this, it's ludicrous. And this is on NORMAL. I could have turned it all the way down to Easy, but I didn't want to risk having to play it twice if the final stage didn't unlock or something, as a lot of shooters do on easy mode.

View attachment 403375

Seriously look at this, I'm too old for this shit.

In any case, that's another 1.5, which added to my 67.5 puts me at a cool 69 points. Now I can't wait to delete this off my Switch.

View attachment 403379
Ohhh you down and out dirty rascal !!

This guy is just winning top points EVERY MONTH>>!! LET's GET 'EM BOYYYSSS!!

powpewpowbangpewbangpow!!

Crone

Hey can my wife get in on this too? Maybe the 2 of us can DOG PILE on Rajaah and kick his ass!!

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well, 15 days into the competition and you're up to like 70 hours. 35 hours/week, and we all put more time into these games to complete them than just the HLTB Main stat, so 40+ hours/week into gaming is a lot, my friend!

The secret is that I'm not actually playing most of these things all the way through, I'm finishing them off. For example I did like half of my Elden Ring playing (at least) in February, Breath of Fire 4 is a 40-something hour game but I only had like the last 10 hours to do, etc. I really do usually only play about 2 hours on weekdays (and a lot more on weekends or the days I took off for ER, which were a whole bunch of days).

Crone

Finished Cyberpunk ... 22.5 on HLTB .. so 23 points?

1647383686045.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users