Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kaines

Potato Supreme
a red foozle nubbins
wait-castle.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Posted a while back that I was looking for a public server to set up on. If you’re interested in a valheim vanilla experience that feels more like a Minecraft community server, check out Comfy Valheim.

30-60 people on at any given time. It’s got economy, casual boss runs, server events, quests. Mods are enabled but they are only allowing QoL/UI and certain building mods. Heavy on the hugbox component and very top heavy with admin and dev presence so don’t be a fuckface without expecting a ban. Have to apply through the Discord.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
60 players on a Vaheim server sounds like a shitshow.
Given how carebear it sounds like, If I was a youtuber, I'd go on there and try to go as long as possible with clumsy oopsy poopsy teamkills creatively with terrain and playing clumsy innocent.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
60 players on a Vaheim server sounds like a shitshow.

I thought the same thing. I don’t know much about it but there is some coding changes that help with how the game runs. You run into some chop in the portal areas and I’m sure the mass-spawn events are terrible, but out in the world it runs fine.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Posted a while back that I was looking for a public server to set up on. If you’re interested in a valheim vanilla experience that feels more like a Minecraft community server, check out Comfy Valheim.

30-60 people on at any given time. It’s got economy, casual boss runs, server events, quests. Mods are enabled but they are only allowing QoL/UI and certain building mods. Heavy on the hugbox component and very top heavy with admin and dev presence so don’t be a fuckface without expecting a ban. Have to apply through the Discord.
I'll be along shortly, M'Lady. I know a low-key request for a 300ft tall Phallic Fungeon when I see one...
fungeon-wreck-it-ralph.gif

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 1 users

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Mistlands is gonna be a shitshow of massive violence. Prep your best foods, get your best gear, and prepare your anus. :)

I've rented a server which will be starting up when Mistlands goes live with a fresh seed since there's really no comparison between the old world generation and the new generation. It was originally with myself and Obiwankenoob (who you may remember from the the original FoH server), but other FoH types are welcome with the usual no-asshat caveats if anyone cares.

• 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Official release today, at least on Steam.

More content in this 500 meg update than 99.99% of 30gb updates in other games.

• 4Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I really wish I had done more combat early on. I've just been building and taming pigs and sailing and such.

Now I find out the entire combat system is underpinned by active dodge, a close second to quicktime events for worst game mechanic in recent history.

Oh no a nuclear blast nearby! No problem, I'll just roll on the ground!

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Parrying works too. Find yourself a good shield or parrying weapon and go to town.

Or find and tame 2-star wolves and breed yourself a ludicrous wolf army. :)

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The trouble with block is that it pushes you back out of swing range. By the time you move back in range they are swinging again.

I didn't know wolves could be tamed. I never in a million years would have figured out how to tame pigs if someone hadn't told me.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My son and I are into the Mistlands finally. I think they did a stellar job with this update.

The trouble with block is that it pushes you back out of swing range. By the time you move back in range they are swinging again.

Walk forward as you parry. You'll be knocked back less and still be in range, even for power attacks with slow weapons.

• 1Barf

Kiki

Log Wizard
I don't know how bows are in the update but that was always fun as well, just start sniping shit.

• 2Like

Captain Suave

I don't know how bows are in the update

They added crossbows, which I think are a bit OP. There's a slowish crank time during which you can't run/jump and stamina doesn't regen, but once cranked you can wait to fire at will and the bolts have no arc over distance. Huge damage, too. Overall it seems easier to dodge, hit, and harder to run out of stamina.

• 2Like

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
My son and I started a fresh server and are working through the Mountains Biome now. Game is as fun as ever. We've both been staying away from spoilers on Mistlands so there's a real sense of excitement about what's to come. We made a baller base with double moat layers and deathtrap-dungeon style spikes. Probably our best ever. But intent is still to make a full castle in the Plains and launch sorties into the Mistlands from there. Just a great game.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I didn't know wolves could be tamed. I never in a million years would have figured out how to tame pigs if someone hadn't told me.
I doubt its been nerfed - so you can always get stealthy with daggers. Its fucking ridiculous and I loved it.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

But intent is still to make a full castle in the Plains and launch sorties into the Mistlands from there

My son and I ended up making a base in the mistlands. Without spoiling anything, it's significantly easier to set up there due to certain features of the biome and types of materials which are locally available compared to needing to be imported.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider

Tame wolves the same way you tame pigs, more or less, just with much bigger teeth- trap them somewhere and feed them, in their case any kind of meat that isnt wolf meat. Oh hey, a use for your excess pigs! :) Unlike pigs though, wolves will follow you so theyre much easier to move to where you want them, or, of course, you can have them follow you in general as a mass of biting death to explain to your neighbors precisely how much you dont like them. :)
Send me a message if you want more info on wolf taming and how best/safest/easiest to trap them.

Blocking- as others have said, moving forward while blocking helps, but there are other options too- put your back to something solid like a tree, rock or steep slope so you cant be knocked back far, or use a knife and just special-attack after parrying to leap back into their face. Dont like blocking or dodging? The atgeir is your friend- go mobile and use its longer reach and the special attack to thwack them before they can hit you, which knocks them back and often staggers them for a follow-up. Can do the same thing, more or less with an iron sledge, albeit with less mobility.

• 2Like