WandaVision

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Episode 9 looks like a real turd
its not a turd, its the best clip show ever put on TV. clip shows are usually absolutely terrible.
this was basically a huge exposition dump explaining Scarlet Witch's origin for people who didnt watch Age Of Ultron and knew she grew up in Sokovia and her parents were killed by a Stark Industries rocket. they also retconned it slightly to be that she already had Mind stone powers rather than gaining them from Loki's spear in Von Strukker's lab. Agatha turned out to be a misunderstood person. she was just trying to figure out Scarlet Witch's powers and how they worked. next week she drops the bombshell that her kids never existed and they fight Sword and white Vision.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Clips shows usually do suck when they are just reused old clips.

Though SG1's ending to their clip episode was super memorable lol

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What? It's only a clip episode if the clips are from previous episodes which is why they're always shitty

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What? It's only a clip episode if the clips are from previous episodes which is why they're always shitty
well sort of, they are visiting previous episodes of her life. they also are revisitng parts of previous episodes of the show. i dunno if you know clip shows that well, but they always center around a reason for showing old clips. in this case its this witch wanting to know why Scarlet Witch has these powers, so she makes her revisit those key moments.
the name of the episode is "Previously On"

• 1Garbage
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
well sort of, they are visiting previous episodes of her life. they also are revisitng parts of previous episodes of the show. i dunno if you know clip shows that well, but they always center around a reason for showing old clips. in this case its this witch wanting to know why Scarlet Witch has these powers, so she makes her revisit those key moments.

Just because it's her memories of the past doesn't make it a clip show. It works have to be a collection of clips previously shown on Wandavision. That's why they're so shitty, they're basically reruns disguised as a new episode

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just because it's her memories of the past doesn't make it a clip show. It works have to be a collection of clips previously shown on Wandavision. That's why they're so shitty, they're basically reruns disguised as a new episode
yeah, thats why i said this was the best clip show ever, i was being a little tongue in cheek because in the vein of a sitcom based on Scarlet Witch, these would count as "clips" of her life. this isnt a real sitcom so they wouldnt actually be clips from a sitcom.
-edit
and shit, they still showed clips from other actual sitcoms's episodes during this episode. so yes, this was a clip show from both a metaphorical and a literal sense.

Last edited:
  • 2Garbage

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Sokovia bit lasted waaay too long. First time I've actually fast-forwarded through an episode.

There have been some half-decent few seconds to this series but there's absolutely zero way I'd ever rewatch any of this. Surely that has to be classed as a failure if others feel that way too.

I'm struggling to think of a single "Hell yeah!" moment in any of the episodes thus far. For someone who grew up on A-Team, Airwolf, Incredible Hulk, Battlestar Galatica, etc WandaVision just doesn't cut the mustard.

They also had much better theme tunes. Well, maybe not the Hulk.

• 1Like
  • 1Edgelord

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The Sokovia bit lasted waaay too long. First time I've actually fast-forwarded through an episode.

There have been some half-decent few seconds to this series but there's absolutely zero way I'd ever rewatch any of this. Surely that has to be classed as a failure if others feel that way too.

I'm struggling to think of a single "Hell yeah!" moment in any of the episodes thus far. For someone who grew up on A-Team, Airwolf, Incredible Hulk, Battlestar Galatica, etc WandaVision just doesn't cut the mustard.

They also had much better theme tunes. Well, maybe not the Hulk.

I said this back in the beginning, none of this is content that people will want to rewatch for enjoyment.

After this season is over, ask yourself if you would you spend time watching the first 2 episodes when rewatching this entire season.

Its an absolute NO for me. That's how you know those episodes suck, regardless of how the rest of the season turns out.

This is how you know this show sucked as a standalone piece of entertainment. It exists purely to set up a bunch of other MCU properties, plot-wise. Its not enjoyable by itself.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 2 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I said this back in the beginning, none of this is content that people will want to rewatch for enjoyment.

This is how you know this show sucked as a standalone piece of entertainment. It exists purely to set up a bunch of other MCU properties, plot-wise. Its not enjoyable by itself.

You're all way more up on what's coming next than I am but is WV supposed to feed into Captain Marvel 2 and Doctor Strange 2? Anything else?

Because, not wanting to come across as overly critical but, both of those initial movies were average at best. CM was utterly forgettable beyond some tokenistic SLJ one-liners and Doctor Strange was a touch stronger but still pretty lacklustre.

This seems like a very expensive way to build some backstory before releasing two movies that aren't going to make much money.

• 1Seriously?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
You're all way more up on what's coming next than I am but is WV supposed to feed into Captain Marvel 2 and Doctor Strange 2? Anything else?

Because, not wanting to come across as overly critical but, both of those initial movies were average at best. CM was utterly forgettable beyond some tokenistic SLJ one-liners and Doctor Strange was a touch stronger but still pretty lacklustre.

This seems like a very expensive way to build some backstory before releasing two movies that aren't going to make much money.
CM was still a billion dollar movie, Dr. Strange was $700M regardless of the quality. I think the bigger impact on revenue here will be COVID rather than quality

But it sounds like they also might be setting up Young Avengers with Wanda's kids, and some of the other Disney Plus shows. Maybe Ms. Marvel, Secret Invasion, What If...? and maybe even Falcon and Winter Soldier since she fought with them in more than 1 film.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Spiderman 3?

• 1Garbage

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just looked to see how much this cost.

$200M

Imagine burning $200M on this turd. Barely any special effects either

Guess it gets burned on actors.

I mean, Mandalorian costs $15m per episode but the actors are mostly unheard of whereas some of the cast of WV have been in previous MCU movies.

spronk

FPS noob
streaming shows are a little different from old network shows, there are no residuals or anything offered so they gotta pony up more money upfront, but Disney (netflix, HBO Max, etc) don't have to ever pay out again. They usually don't do DVD releases either, and keep all the international rights as well.

So while a star might have been paid less for say CSI Miami, the entire above the line cast and crew got paid for decades, as the show got resold over and over. All that kinda money gets bundled more upfront with these type of shows. For example the cast of Friends makes $20m/year EACH still to this day, due to the resell value of the show. That won't happen with WandaVision, Mandalorian, etc. Disney gets every penny of the monthly sub fees and doesn't have to share any of it, just pay for initial production.

The season finale isn't a clip show, is it? That thing posted above is just a trailer for the finale? I didn't watch it.

Disney+ is at 94m subs right now and expects to hit 260m subs by 2024. Thats $8.4b/year in sub revenue right now, and expected $31 BILLION in sub fees within 4 years. The numbers dwarf previous Hollywood box offices, and they just have to pump out content to keep people subbed.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Clip show implies they are using old "Clips" from the show, this is doing nothing of the sort...at best you could call it a Flashback episode but not a clip show.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
streaming shows are a little different from old network shows, there are no residuals or anything offered so they gotta pony up more money upfront, but Disney (netflix, HBO Max, etc) don't have to ever pay out again. They usually don't do DVD releases either, and keep all the international rights as well.

So while a star might have been paid less for say CSI Miami, the entire above the line cast and crew got paid for decades, as the show got resold over and over. All that kinda money gets bundled more upfront with these type of shows. For example the cast of Friends makes $20m/year EACH still to this day, due to the resell value of the show. That won't happen with WandaVision, Mandalorian, etc. Disney gets every penny of the monthly sub fees and doesn't have to share any of it, just pay for initial production.

The season finale isn't a clip show, is it? That thing posted above is just a trailer for the finale? I didn't watch it.

Disney+ is at 94m subs right now and expects to hit 260m subs by 2024. Thats $8.4b/year in sub revenue right now, and expected $31 BILLION in sub fees within 4 years. The numbers dwarf previous Hollywood box offices, and they just have to pump out content to keep people subbed.

makes sense. at $70/year sub, thats basically 4 movie tickets per year

Jive Turkey

Karen

Clip shows were shitty because they were just a cheap way to create a filler episode that didn't advanced the plot of a show at all. They usually involved a family sitting in their living room during a power outage and were nothing more than "hey, remember the time when..". So not only did the recent episode of WandaVision not play old clips, it didn't even function the way a clip episode does. Because it's not a clip episode

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Clip shows were shitty because they were just a cheap way to create a filler episode that didn't advanced the plot of a show at all. They usually involved a family sitting in their living room during a power outage and were nothing more than "hey, remember the time when..". So not only did the recent episode of WandaVision not play old clips, it didn't even function the way a clip episode does. Because it's not a clip episode
it was their take on a clip show, but entertaining, like i said previously which nobody has the attention span to remember. they do play clips of old tv shows in that episode and these are clips of her life. for no other reason than to dump exposition. the plot did not move further in this episode, we didnt even see what Vision was doing or Photon or fat titty girl. we only got the background filler that should have been provided already if they werent so busy being pretentious with the sitcom themes.

• 2Garbage
  • 1Picard