Warhammer 40k

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'll see if I can find the source for my avatar if you want it. The books arent open source but I have the pdfs for them all in a google drive folder. As for whether you can play or not just let me know when you find out. I'm on the FoH discord too and will probably be more responsive to messages on that.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't know where to post this where it would hold the most relevancy. I don't play the tabletop but think the lore of 40k is some, if not the coolest sci-fi stuff out there. These are super long videos but very well done IMO. Good for commuting or on the treadmill at the gym.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Goonsquad Officer
yea i just digest the lore. miniatures games lost me like 20 years ago, but i love the lore. I read too many of the novels. worked out well because now we play a lot of the tabletop Dark Heresy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The lore has been shit for a number of years, and most of what makes it awesome is the background lore that's been in place for a long time now.

Some of these fucks really need to take some basic writing courses before they even think about writing background in books like the codices. The novels just seemed to vary greatly IMHO, but the shit they've pushed out in other sources has been almost criminal at times. And I think a lot of that is the push to make many factions 'different' from each other, but they've tended to make them somewhat 1 dimensional and boring in other ways. You need flawed factions/characters to get behind, and defining a faction by mutually exclusive keywords is a travesty.

And then there's Guillemann. If you ever wanted an example of a poorly conceptualized and implemented story arc, this is for you. Just a completely uninteresting Mary Sue that I don't think has much (any) redeeming value beyond the powergaming aspect.

LOL JK. Every primarch that was dead is now back. Just because.

tenor.gif

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I've been enjoying the first three Horus Heresy books and am about 150 pages from finishing Galaxy in Flames. Any recommendations for after that in this series or don't bother?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've enjoyed ALL of Abnett's books. He doesn't do space marines like a lot of the other authors, but he's a much better writer and his characters are much more interesting (their human, essentially). Try to find: Eisenhorn Omnibus, Ravenor Omnibus, Gaunt's Ghost's series. Eisenhorn and Ravenor will have to be acquired used and generally at VERY inflated prices since they aren't in print right now. But, if you've got a second hand book store, you could score big time for $5-$15.

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
For 40k books I think the double sided story in Prospero Burns / A Thousand Sons is really good and worth reading. I think Master of Mankind and The First Heretic by ADB are both good standalone books, with The First Heretic probably being my favorite HH book so far (Ive read almost all of them)

If you have a legion that you like then pick up theirs (Alpha Legion for me) but there are so many books at this point that I wouldnt spend time reading the bad ones or ones you are less interested in until you fill up on the good stuff. Like has been mentioned I usually find the good writers and try their stuff first, with Abnett and ADB being the premium guys in my opinion

Unless you are a big ultramarines guy they can usually be avoided without missing much and there is quite a few of their books out there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Woffer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why oh why haven't 40k become a movie yet? I would love to see something in the vain of the Eisenhorn series getting made in to a proper movie trilogy. Is it just to ambitious of a project and to small mass appeal from the IP to make the financials come together?

The lore (big picture) and art are just all top notch. Maybe some concepts like the Orks are though to work in due to the tonal differences but most of the imperial a chaos stuff are fine. Maybe if you treat the orks like the Mangalore from Fith Element, dunno. I would also not focus to much on the space marines since i have never seen power armor animated in a well looking realistic fashion and i think they would fit better as story element than the main focus of a plot.

So how come a movie hasn't been made? What would you like to see in a 40k movie?

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why oh why haven't 40k become a movie yet? I would love to see something in the vain of the Eisenhorn series getting made in to a proper movie trilogy. Is it just to ambitious of a project and to small mass appeal from the IP to make the financials come together?

The lore (big picture) and art are just all top notch. Maybe some concepts like the Orks are though to work in due to the tonal differences but most of the imperial a chaos stuff are fine. Maybe if you treat the orks like the Mangalore from Fith Element, dunno. I would also not focus to much on the space marines since i have never seen power armor animated in a well looking realistic fashion and i think they would fit better as story element than the main focus of a plot.

So how come a movie hasn't been made? What would you like to see in a 40k movie?
I think linked elsewhere. But do many good fan based stuff. The 30k short, the astartes channel part 2, and of course hellsreach.

I think budget and span matters. If it got the lotr treatment you could roll out so many neat things, but realistically you are only being to work with summer popcorn flick budget. So bland as it is marine/guard and chaos or necrons in a kinda spooky event horizon scenario. Closer to original predator/aliens era but these days everything's trained by Michael bayification.

Granted going nuts with like dawn of war opening cinematic style snd an exterminatus would be sweet.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
A darker animated series instead of a movie would probably be more feasible and almost as cool too

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is the tabletop community aware of this guy's videos?
I'm horrible at it, but I've always liked building terrariums and dioramas with working water features, and this guy is making me want to get back into it.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Isn't Sanguinious returning a big deal? I thought their lore schtick was not knowing if he was gone forever or not, chaos even creating false incarnations of him.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I haven't done anything with 40K in a while now. But the new CSM stuff looks ok, I guess. The Discordant thing looks neat. Not sure how many weapons are on the Havoc sprues.

One of the things I hate about the new plastics, that I never really thought much about before, was how long you have to wait for actual multipart kits to come out, along with how fucking annoying it is to have stuff you really want a bunch of in a double-faction set, but no one you know is interested in splitting boxes with you.

• 1Solidarity

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Put together the chaos half of shadowspear last week. Kit is amazing. Was not impressed with the venomcrawler in the one game I played but the model gorgeous.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Just got the latest HH book, its magnificent. IF you have the earlier ones, this is worth the price of admittance just for the lore.