WarnerMedia launching HBO Max Spring 2020

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

well the streaming wars didn't last very long, so much for digital wars being the future
Its really a problem of content in my opinion. The lockdowns destroyed unseen content. I sit down and it takes me significant time to find something worth watching that isnt a rewatch and more often than not, I just say fuck it and turn of the tv.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
If these people really thought that consumers would start subscribing to 20 different services then they are completely delusional.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Every company started their own service and have maybe 2 original shows worth watching. Easier to just sub to a different one every month.

Disney will probably keep the most subs due to the Hulu/ESPN/D+ combo.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its the nature of the free market. Tons of competitors pop up and in time only the strongest handful will ultimately survive the culling. Btw, this is where companies like AMZN and DIS will crush standalones because they have the balance sheets and other revenue streams to carry the streaming service for as long as it takes to shake out.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Its the nature of the free market. Tons of competitors pop up and in time only the strongest handful will ultimately survive the culling. Btw, this is where companies like AMZN and DIS will crush standalones because they have the balance sheets and other revenue streams to carry the streaming service for as long as it takes to shake out.
Amzn isn't even in the war. They put out so little content and is not the focus. No one is subbed for their streaming content.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Get Woke Go Broke, this is the death knell of Hbo. They really have nothing worth watching anymore, such garbage programming. Max used to have fun shows to watch, it sucks as well, other than Warrior I cant name a show I would bother viewing.

I feel like almost all TV is going this route, they just dont seem to care about profits anymore. The only thing that matters is The Message.

spronk

FPS noob

a free, ad supported version of HBO? What a bizzaro world 2023 is gonna be.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The main problem with boom times is that the talent gets stretched super thin across all the major players and startups. This is likely true of all industries but is even more true among something like streaming and content production where a bunch of factors all have to come together. There probably isn't enough decent writing, directing, editing and acting talent to fill 3 or 4 streaming services, yet we've got over a dozen.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The main problem with boom times is that the talent gets stretched super thin across all the major players and startups. This is likely true of all industries but is even more true among something like streaming and content production where a bunch of factors all have to come together. There probably isn't enough decent writing, directing, editing and acting talent to fill 3 or 4 streaming services, yet we've got over a dozen.
What it did was broke apart all the old catalogs and moved them into their various owners' streaming services. That is part of the reason the desert of new content is so obvious to the naked eye. Netflix at this point is a bollywood catalog.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
There probably isn't enough decent writing, directing, editing and acting talent to fill 3 or 4 streaming services, yet we've got over a dozen.

I think the Golden Age of tv drama is over, killed by over saturation.

Previously if your idea got rejected by HBO, AMC etc, and more recently Netflix then you were out of luck.

Now rival streamers need to build a catalogue, so your user has more chance to be picked up. And once it is on that service, it's doubtful viewing figures will be high enough because the audience can't subscribe to every service

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think the Golden Age of tv drama is over, killed by over saturation.

Previously if your idea got rejected by HBO, AMC etc, and more recently Netflix then you were out of luck.

Now rival streamers need to build a catalogue, so your user has more chance to be picked up. And once it is on that service, it's doubtful viewing figures will be high enough because the audience can't subscribe to every service
We'll be back down to 5 streaming services within 2 years.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
All of this is hilarious given the success of The Sandman, which is a Warner Brothers property from stem to stern, on Netflix.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Amzn isn't even in the war. They put out so little content and is not the focus. No one is subbed for their streaming content.

Amzn has a leg up because now that I have money and don't need to pirate entertainment, they're our go to "buy" and rental place for movies and shows. We can get 95% of what we want, and can even subscribe to other services through amazon for a quick month to watch and drop. I assume they get a cut of all of that.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I have to agree. Amazon is definitely our preferred 'rental' or purchase of digital content venue. It's not likely to go away and we already buy so much stuff there anyway it's easy to keep things in one spot.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Amzn has a leg up because now that I have money and don't need to pirate entertainment, they're our go to "buy" and rental place for movies and shows. We can get 95% of what we want, and can even subscribe to other services through amazon for a quick month to watch and drop. I assume they get a cut of all of that.
Pirating is about the goddamn principle of it all now.

Everyone won with OG Netflix. The subscribers got tons of content, the content owners got a nice cut, and the middleman did an actual service for both and deserved its cut. But everyone got greedy and thought they could out-Netflix the king. Instead they killed the goose laying the golden eggs.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its really a problem of content in my opinion. The lockdowns destroyed unseen content. I sit down and it takes me significant time to find something worth watching that isnt a rewatch and more often than not, I just say fuck it and turn of the tv.
We've been rewatching old shows, before woke killed everything; Office, Parks and Rec, Scrubs, etc. All good shows and I can watch The Office over and over and it never stops being funny.