Wasteland 3

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Is this game super heavy reading kinda like the 1st of the recent batch of Shadowrun games or Torment Tides of Neverending Text?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this game super heavy reading kinda like the 1st of the recent batch of Shadowrun games or Torment Tides of Neverending Text?
how to make a modern text base RPG UI

1598681687330.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

No, unlike Wasteland 2, nearly everything is voice acted (maybe all dialogue is voice acted, not encountered a npc without voices yet). Text is only your dialogue, examining things or looking at consoles and such. UI also scales up the text, so it's not hard to read at all. I am playing in 4k.

Encountered a bug though that forced me to reload. A character got stuck under the world. Walked into some stairs, could only see the circle below the character.. Can't zone out of the area with one missing party member as zoning out requires the party to be together.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fuck they use a lot of curse words in this game. I was hoping to let my 8 year old son watch for a while but every other dialog box is throwing out F-bombs and I could find a way to filter that out from the main menu.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Really enjoying this, though there is a fair amount of jank (to be expected). Really not enamored with the menu's or the UI, there is a ton of lag between looting/lockpicking etc and my party is very poorly balanced (definitely need/want a "tanky-melee" guy) and the loading times are a disgrace. This is on a 970 Pro drive and it's still ludicrous.

That said, I'm having a fecking blast here. Saving right before fights helps a ton as I go back and do the same fight multiple times to get it right. Really great game, and it opens up quite a bit after the first few area's.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Really enjoying this, though there is a fair amount of jank (to be expected). Really not enamored with the menu's or the UI, there is a ton of lag between looting/lockpicking etc and my party is very poorly balanced (definitely need/want a "tanky-melee" guy) and the loading times are a disgrace. This is on a 970 Pro drive and it's still ludicrous.

That said, I'm having a fecking blast here. Saving right before fights helps a ton as I go back and do the same fight multiple times to get it right. Really great game, and it opens up quite a bit after the first few area's.

Think of the load times as nostalgia regarding Wasteland I, where you'd wait like 3 minutes just leaving town while your C-64 drive provided radiant heat for your entire room.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My C-64 drive was bigger than the computer.

I played that C-64 so much I would keep an ice pack wrapped in a towel on top of the drive to keep it from overheating. Also remember having to take it in once a year to get the stupid drive head's aligned.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck they use a lot of curse words in this game. I was hoping to let my 8 year old son watch for a while but every other dialog box is throwing out F-bombs and I could find a way to filter that out from the main menu.
8 year olds know about five times as many curse words as you think they do.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Finished a "normal" playthrough, 25 hours. Tons of glitches, a few serious bugs and you can run into plotstopper if you try freaky approaches. The game displays itself way more massive than it actually is. You have to follow the main story religiously and there are only a handful locations on the map with a single quest etc. . Do NOT play MP/Coop until they patched the crashes. Even if you claw you way through by reloading and trying over and over again, people report save game corruptions after a while. Oh and do not quick load right now, load manually if you have to.

Well I like how they progressed from 2 and had tons of fun, great writing, nice voice acting and solid humor but WL2 felt a bit more ... wastelandish? The whole plot really gets unbelievable the moment AD steps in etc. All in all worth the 60 bucks if you are into RPGs with Xcom fight mechanics. Also great replay value, you have to make hard decision several times and companions are also very factionbased (and are super touchy when it comes to your deeds this time).

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
25 hours and this game was released less than 2 days ago. Now that's commitment.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finished a "normal" playthrough, 25 hours.
Maybe you can confirm something then: a video I watched while waiting for the game to unlock said that you not only shouldn't max out any skills (which is obvious because of skill books, just like in WL2) but also stats as well. He said something about there being creepy dolls for stat bonuses, but as far as I can tell this is not true and there's no reason not to start with a stat like COO or CHA already at 10 if you really want it maxed. Or start at 6/8 and quickly max it out with the early level-ups.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Really enjoying this but the sluggishness is annoying.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I want to find more uses for Toaster Repair.

So far, Fallout New Vegas will remain the King of post-apocalyptic RPG in the past 10+ years.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Maybe you can confirm something then: a video I watched while waiting for the game to unlock said that you not only shouldn't max out any skills (which is obvious because of skill books, just like in WL2) but also stats as well. He said something about there being creepy dolls for stat bonuses, but as far as I can tell this is not true and there's no reason not to start with a stat like COO or CHA already at 10 if you really want it maxed. Or start at 6/8 and quickly max it out with the early level-ups.
Did we ever find an answer on this? Making my chars now and trying to decide if 10 in a stat is worth it. Also, what's the max you should put into a skill due to skill books?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You can really abuse the ranger recruit system if you want. There's no reason to have any skills that only get used at the base (weapon/armor modding, toaster repair, etc.) on a active member when you can just make a 10 int + Poindexter mule any time you want. Or if you have a skill on one of your custom rangers, but that new NPC companion has it too, just remake your ranger with different skills. Can do some leveling tricks too, like when I first got to HQ after the tutorial I decided I wanted a different quirk on my sniper (Death Wish is better than Sadomasochist, at least until you actually start seeing unique armor drops). At the time the Leadership 10 character was level 4 and the sniper was only level 3, but all new characters I recruit come in at 4 so it bumped him up a level as well.

Some people might find that using this too much kills replayability, but I never replay games like this anyway when I have so many others I haven't played even once. At the very least it seems like it's pretty much impossible to make bad choices at the start which only become apparent once you meet NPCs or get unique equipment later on.

Did we ever find an answer on this? Making my chars now and trying to decide if 10 in a stat is worth it. Also, what's the max you should put into a skill due to skill books?
Every list of creepy dolls I've seen is the same, and they only give derived stats like perception, hit chance, initiative, specific damage bonuses, etc.

9 is max with skill books, since there's only 1 of each. If a skill book isn't found until super late in the game you can always level to 10 and then correct the problem via recruiting too. There's also armor pieces that give skill bonuses while equipped that you may want to build around too. Just remember to take off any items before spending points to make sure the game charges you the right amount.

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wife and I are playing this co-op (side by side PS4s in the bedroom) and its ok. The initiative mechanics are completely different from WL2 in co-op (e.g. Initiative does not matter at all it seems) and there is some clunkiness, but its fun otherwise. Melee guys are broke dick, but a lot of weird difficulty spikes in the first area with multiple encounters that just ignore core mechanics with stuff you cannot possibly be high enough level to defend against. The Irv clone battle was particularly stupidly balanced for its level, as one example. Stats are mostly meaningless except for somewhat coordination for AP and Awareness for perception. It feels like the last game, but a bit fluffed up in some ways. Some of it is good, like the quality of life stuff, but some bad like the interface I would charitably describe as someone trying to drive every PS4 RPG veteran completely insane. Story is solid, so far, and all the core elements are there. Music is also a major step up, along with the voice acting as stated. It looks like a lot of money was spent on eye candy that might have been better spent on better interface and tutorials, though.