Weather

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Fuck you guys. Am I the only one who wants to see the full wrath of this thing hit land
I'm with you. I want this to be a disaster of biblical proportions. Bringing the "hurricane proof" highrises on South Beach crashing down. Let Miami meet it's doom a la Babylon.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
K came back, thanks to my white male privilege I was able to find water when my wife failed.

I'm really not worried about me, I'm more worried about my 3yr old. But I got a can of powder milk, and with that she will eat for days.

Tonight I'll start my wife on the pee pee drink training.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm with you. I want this to be a disaster of biblical proportions. Bringing the "hurricane proof" highrises on South Beach crashing down. Let Miami meet it's doom a la Babylon.

You might be getting your wish.

From the Reddit thread: DAILY IRMA METEOROLOGICAL DISCUSSION THREAD - 05 SEPTEMBER 2017 • r/TropicalWeather

Floridians, Listen up.

Right now after the 12z GFS and 12z Euro run this afternoon, meteorologists are gathering across the state on how they are going to disseminate information to the public- and notably up the seriousness of their tone in the process.

As we speak, Irma is showing 185mph winds at a Category 5, and it's yet to enter the warmest and most hospitable environment in the Bahamas. Strengthening will continue right up to landfall. By the time it reaches land, it will be an estimated 800 miles wide- dwarfing any hurricane that has approached the Florida coast. Sustained winds of 180mph are possible, with gusts nearing 200mph. Surge will inundate anywhere 12ft or below sea level, which accounts for much of the coastline across the state. It's true that the exact track is unknown at this time. However at 6 days out, model accuracy is vastly improved- and Florida is on the wrong side of the chances of Irma missing landfall.

Understand that the time to formulate a plan starts now. Put best by /u/supernovasky- the messaging to the public in the coming days will not be "we apologize for inconveniencing your weekend by recommending evac", but rather areas affected will see "evacuate to save your life, danger is imminent".

This is not Matthew. This will be a much larger, more powerful system that will likely end up as a contender for the most powerful hurricane to exist in the Atlantic. It's rare size, pressure, and wind speed combination makes Irma a truly rare system.

Do not underestimate. Please prepare accordingly, and make a plan for evacuation if necessary. Listen to the warnings from local officials and NHC and NOAA. We wish you the absolute best, and will continue to address questions and update information on Irma as it's available.

Z-Cast

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do people not have water bottles or is it a tap water thing? Jesus between water bottles and hydro packs we could probably pack a 20 gallons of tap water with us.

Also handy to have some life straws around just in case.

I'm not sure where you're from, but some of the water systems around Florida are frankly unpalatable even with a Brita or something like that - Cocoa water that we get over here in Merritt Island has a distinct metallic taste that very few people can stand.

And this storm is starting to actually scaring the shit out of me.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seems like every hour of today, this thing gets upgraded to being more hellacious.

Florida's hopes seem to hinge on Cuba taking the brunt of it. If not, it likely becomes the worst hurricane in US history by a long shot?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
from that reddit thread

DI9WozWXkAAkqhQ.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Seems like every hour of today, this thing gets upgraded to being more hellacious.

Florida's hopes seem to hinge on Cuba taking the brunt of it. If not, it likely becomes the worst hurricane in US history by a long shot?

I think I saw something saying historically there was one worse. But absolutely on track to be near the top, I believe it's tracking as stronger than the one that wiped Homestead, FL off the map.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm waiting for the SJW's to complain the black makes the Hurricane look too scary and request to have the color changed for the future.

DI7pZp7UMAAJP-C.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My wife's grandmother lives within about 1000 feet of the Ohio river. A while back it had some serious flooding and we had something like 30 people out there sandbagging around her house. It took all afternoon and her house is pretty small (probably under 1000 sqft). Wish I knew how many actual bags, but it had to have been in the hundreds, if not more.

Can't imagine it's even worth sandbagging against storm surge.

They don't sandbag here for a storm surge. Mostly small flooding and then up against the house to stop the water from coming in because there's a foot of water on the road idiots think they have to drive thru it 1000 times a day at 40mph and the water goes into houses so people sandag against that.

Borzak

Apparently hurricanes come on a cycle, it's timed to how long before people forget. So they act like it's all climate change or the end is now. About 10-15 years, which happens to be the cycle we go thru big storm or 3 in a short period, then 10-15 years with mild to no activity then several storms with 1-3 big ones. Like Andrew, then Katrina, and now. All those had other hurricanes in a short time period then a relatively long period with little to no storms. Just long enough for people to forget or act like it's an entirely new situation.

• 2Solidarity

Borzak

Do people not have water bottles or is it a tap water thing? Jesus between water bottles and hydro packs we could probably pack a 20 gallons of tap water with us.

Also handy to have some life straws around just in case.

Most of the people you saw after Katrina that were out on the interstate and the superdome ran out of water the 2nd day. Living in a housing project and they couldn't draw up water to store in containers or in the tub. 2nd day, no waer, let's riot.

But public water systems that still have power will be under a boil notice for a long time afterwards.

Vaclav

So we can pretty much write off Puerto Rico at this point right? It no longer exists

Last I'd heard it's going to be close enough to do annoying damage (like Matthew did to my region) but nothing too insane since it's a decent ways north of the island. Course just a little shimmy south and it would be incredibly damaging.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
So we can pretty much write off Puerto Rico at this point right? It no longer exists

Puerto Rico is used to this kind of shit. Obviously something of this unprecedented scale is new, but a certain amount of mindfulness went into infrastructure considering the majority of your population lives on northern/eastern coast. A few Cat 3s rolled through when I lived there. Most high rises come with those giant metal sliding storm shutters. You may end up living with power for a week in 90+ degree weather after the fact, but it is not the same experience as one gets living in the US during a major storm.