Weather

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
It's on tomorrow. Half the state is under an 8/10 threat for tornadoes. Most schools have already closed for tomorrow as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Yeah TorCon 4/10 where I am, news stations already telling people to bend over and kiss their ass goodbye!

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
School being closed and announced a day before storms, is that a new thing? I can only remember getting out for a hurricane. Noticed the other day the forecast was for bad thunderstorms and they closed all the shcools in a couple of parishes and announced it a day ahead. Friend of mine said half the people at work were not there taking care of their kids. Nothing happened.

News said it was to reduce number of people on the road. I think all the people who had kids out of school went to a movie or the mall instead of sitting home with them.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
It is a thing here since May 20, 2013. On that day, a dozen children died when a tornado hit an elementary school.

They were probably cancelled since today is the anniversary and it was a sure fire thing that giant tornadoes would develop.

In tornado news, ever seen two tornadoes spin up at once? It is happening now.

dualnado.JPG

Watch live here: KOCO Nowcast

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm getting high winds in KS, how high? i saw my neighbor walking up and down the st, it was garbage day and he said he couldn't find his trash can, it probably blew far away lulz (no i wasn't gonna go help him find it)

• 1Like

Borzak

25 years ago I lived in a rent house in TX while in college. Had a big hail storm and I didn't have a back proch or overhang over the back door. I cracked open the back door about 2" to see the hail. Broke my doorknob off on the inside. Nope, shut that shit lol.

Can get one of these.

inflatable-hail-protector-for-your-car-8897.jpg

Or do this.

Hail%2BProtector%2B3.png

• 1Like

Borzak

Suprised one of them hasn't been shot if that's the way it is.

-Chase vehicles parked perpendicular to roads blocking major intersections

--Multiple chasers with red/blue police lights "pulling over" others to clear their path to the storm; in 70 mph winds and egg-sized hail and less than a mile from a tornado, this could have been deadly

--Traffic jams 200 cars deep

--Chasers parking on/in the road to take pictures, blocking traffic

--Chasers barreling down a one-lane road at 90 mph

--Chasers driving on the wrong side of the road

• 1Like

Borzak

It's a big thing. The entire Atchafalaya River Basin is going to be flooded out. Goodbye crawfish and most of what people consider Cajun country. First opened in 1973, and again in 2011 and that's it. Mom just told me they drove across it in 1973 when it opened just to see how much water it was. I was 2 lol. So it let's more water flow out of the MS river into the Atchafalaya river and onto the gulf. Normally by law it's restricted to 1/3 of the MS river flow be allowed into the Atchalaya via the gates at the old River control structure. Kind of suprised with flooding that high (above flood stage in Baton Rouge doesn't mean water is coming over the levee) for that long they haven't had issues with the levees from water seeping underneath and the "sand boils" on the dry side. Have had those every so often and then you have a chance of total levee failure.

Been to the corp of Engineers deal in Memphis (maybe it was Vicksburg or Natchez, memory a little fuzzy now) they have a model of the entire MS river and it's control structures that's probably 75 yards long. They run water thru it and open/close the structures and increase the water and such. Was pretty neat to watch the display. You walk along it and they have all the towns on the river to see where exactly you are and what is flooding.

Someone in "charge" decided to write off the towns of Morgan City and the lower basin to help save those further up river. The water is at the top of the flood wall in Morgan City before they opened the spillway gates. Goodbye Morgan City and Thibodaux. All the work/helicopters that goes into the gulf for oil wells offshore flows thru those 2 cities. Morgan City, home to the worlds largest heliport.

Just read they are sinking barges in places along the river to protect some areas like Bayou Chene.

6ECEKZ6RHFEA5JXW3RTWXKVE24.jpg

Morganza_Spillway_Aerial.jpg

Gonna be a lot of flooding below the spillway now that it's open.

1986_Design_Flows.gif

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Tune changes pretty quick.

Just a week ago, Corps officials said those with interests along the spillway should keep going to church and praying, but that they then had "no intention" of opening the spillway.

That was last week, this week we're opening it.

• 2Like

SeanDoe1z1

So much water. Dam isn’t keeping up with inflow. Glad I did a lot of research on this new house I bought.

• 1Like

Borzak

Did you get flood insurance?

I think they are doing all they can to lower water on the MS and the entire MS flood plain. I don't know of anything else they can do other than wait. All spillways and gates are open now. From the gulf to to up in IL.

NOAA is announcing their hurricane season predictions todya. Last thing we need is an early hurricane. All river traffic in the lower Atchafalya was closed today until further notice. So there goes all the oilwell support for the gulf out of Lousiana, not Texas. I hear the price of oil rising already.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Borzak

Best question at a press conference today. Department of Agriculture and Forestry telling farmers and ranchers to move equipment and livestock if they can ahead of the spillway opening. Guy asked "Should I move my trees?"

• 1Worf
  • 1Like