Weather

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well yeah you dont have to evacuate everyone, just you would think the most vulnerable like those in that picture would want to get the hell out of there.

I agree but at the same time you are talking about a lot of poor people perhaps without anywhere to go. Also, this caught everybody off guard. A storm like this has never happened in recorded American history.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I agree but at the same time you are talking about a lot of poor people perhaps without anywhere to go. Also, this caught everybody off guard. A storm like this has never happened in recorded American history.
How do you get caught off guard from a Hurricane in the 21st century? I dont live in Texas and knew about this hurricane for 2-3 days before it made landfall.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Saw a news report where 3 guys were planning to ride the storm out in their boat. the reporter couldn't talk them out of it. they were like "Fuck it, we got beer, we got beans, we got everything we need." One said this was an old boat, they didn't make em like this anymore and it's weathered tougher storms than this.

I hope I see the news report when they find the wreckage of their boat in mexico.

• 1Worf

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How do you get caught off guard from a Hurricane in the 21st century? I dont live in Texas and knew about this hurricane for 2-3 days before it made landfall.

Rather obtuse response. If this behaved like every hurricane we have ever experienced Houston would be fine. The behavior of this storm is unlike anything we have ever seen in this country. If this storm was sitting on New Orleans, the amount of water falling would be make the city completely underwater, for example. Katrina was a bitch compared to this.

• 1Like

Brad2770

Rather obtuse response. If this behaved like every hurricane we have ever experienced Houston would be fine. The behavior of this storm is unlike anything we have ever seen in this country. If this storm was sitting on New Orleans, the amount of water falling would be make the city completely underwater, for example. Katrina was a bitch compared to this.

Global warming. Fucking Dems were right. I'm buying a hybrid tomorrow.

• 1Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The only question is will flooding kill more american inventors, or will people with guns. It's probably 50/50.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry nothing left.

I would think the departments could spare 2 cops per major retail center like that and just shoot on site any dindu stealing things. Would make the city a lot better moving forward.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is going to sound shitty, but this is FoH, so fuck it.

I feel like these events might just be good "mini-purges." Yeah, it sucks people die, but we've got a lot of people. A lot of net negatives to society. More than likely the bulk of the people who die will be people who weren't really contributing at all.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Brad2770

This is going to sound shitty, but this is FoH, so fuck it.

I feel like these events might just be good "mini-purges." Yeah, it sucks people die, but we've got a lot of people. A lot of net negatives to society. More than likely the bulk of the people who die will be people who weren't really contributing at all.

I see where you're coming from, but I think the "bad people" that would be purged wouldn't be worth the loss of the "good people" that fit within this same classification. I had two grandmothers. One very rich. One very poor. The poor one was the best one by far. Real love. You don't want to lose those kinds of people.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

It didn't catch the governor off guard, but like New Orleans, it caught the mayor off guard.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Where you going to go? Storm impacted 1/3 of the state by population. During Katrina the motels/hotels of Baton Rouge, Houston, Jackson, MS, Little Rock, Ar, and a good part of Atlanta were full. You can't stick a population the size of Houston and the population along the gulf between Houston and Corpus in hotels in Dallas. And New Orleans is a drop in the bucket compared to Houston and it's suburbs and the gulf coast towards Corpus. Announced on the news hotels in Baton Rouge and New Orleans are full don't bother trying. That leaves Dallas and San Antonio, but San Antonio was heavily impacted as well with the Corpus/Rockport area. West of I-35 is basically nothing, that leaves going north which is Dallas and then OK City which is not a huge metropolis.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure y'all saw pictures pop up of the Rita evac. It's logistically near-impossible to get 6 plus million out of Dodge.

• 1Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The last time they evacuated Houston, people were stuck on highways without moving for 30 hours. Not minutes, hours. Our infrastructure is not designed to move 7 million people at one time.

Again, the behavior of Harvey was unpredictable. It has NEVER happened before.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Latest is Harvey will moved back into the gulf and reform. Saw that with Andrew. Crossed Florida and gained strength when it got back into the gulf and hit Louisiana. Several other storms in the past have landfalled and then moved out into the gulf to reform.

During Katrina I opened the summer field station at Stephen F. Austin University in east TX because I had a key and it had 30 dorm rooms, with a kitchen and such. The dean was really not happy till I told him "it's all working white people". People that have room aren't going to just open up unless they know them. Hotels that open now and take people are going to be in for a suprise, the people will never be fored to leave and 6 months from now they will have people living in them, taking payments from FEMA to house them and have to redo the entire facility.

Last edited:
  • 1Like