Weather

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

Floriduh.

I don't know. That could save your paint job from the little shit flying around in high winds pretty well. You're still fucked if a 2x4 hits it or it floats away but it may actually do some good.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know. That could save your paint job from the little shit flying around in high winds pretty well. You're still fucked if a 2x4 hits it or it floats away but it may actually do some good.

You do realize that sand moving at 150 mph is called a "sand blasting" and saran wrap won't stop it.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
In very large concentrations, sure. Is Irma going to be blasting enough particulates around to strip skin off of humans? That layered cardboard and plastic wrap it still better than nothing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In very large concentrations, sure. Is Irma going to be blasting enough particulates around to strip skin off of humans? That layered cardboard and plastic wrap it still better than nothing.

Well, if you are near the beach, then yes, there will be large concentrations of sand flying through the air. I've seen pictures of what it does and it really will strip the paint and pock mark the metal surface. If you are not near the beach, then you should be aware that the clear coat over your paint is much tougher than saran wrap, so if saran wrap protects it, it wouldn't have scratched the clear coat anyway.

And I would argue that it's worse than nothing because when it blows off in 5 seconds, it's that much more debris flying around.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
How important is it to debate the effectiveness of saran wrap in a hurricane right now? Just asking.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I was thinking maybe it had a sun roof and was worried about leaks.

• 1Like

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Well, if you are near the beach, then yes, there will be large concentrations of sand flying through the air. I've seen pictures of what it does and it really will strip the paint and pock mark the metal surface. If you are not near the beach, then you should be aware that the clear coat over your paint is much tougher than saran wrap, so if saran wrap protects it, it wouldn't have scratched the clear coat anyway.

And I would argue that it's worse than nothing because when it blows off in 5 seconds, it's that much more debris flying around.

Sadly we'll probably never have a resolution to this argument because I doubt we'll ever see any after pictures.

How important is it to debate the effectiveness of saran wrap in a hurricane right now? Just asking.

I'm not in the wind zone so wtf do I care?

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
but if the ziplock baggie was on a treadmill, would it still be waterproof?

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Waterproof? Yes. But now you would have a large kite complete with a reeling mechanism.

• 1Worf

vGrade

Potato del Grande
The fuck is this hurricane doing? I was really hoping to see Florida get wiped off the map. I'm not ready for a let down

• 1Like

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sadly we'll probably never have a resolution to this argument because I doubt we'll ever see any after pictures.

I'm not in the wind zone so wtf do I care?

If I lived closer to the beach where it was going to hit, I would totally wrap one of my cars in saran wrap and leave the other alone for science. As it is, it keeps moving further away from me with every update. At this point, NHC has me with a 9% of seeing CAT1 or higher winds. So it's gonna be a long strong storm for me, but I've done far worse.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The fuck is this hurricane doing? I was really hoping to see Florida get wiped off the map. I'm not ready for a let down
The crappy part is now the next time a big hurricane comes to Miami, no one will evacuate because they got burned by the storm of the century missing.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Just woke up. Need an update if Florida is still on the maps.

• 1Like

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The crappy part is now the next time a big hurricane comes to Miami, no one will evacuate because they got burned by the storm of the century missing.

And that's what Matthew did last year too. So now we have 2 hurricanes that reinforce these are 'no big deal'.

• 1Like

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wife just got from the beach and said it was the busiest she'd ever seen it. Tons of surfers and kite boarders out the and loads of people on the beach watching them.

• 1Like

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
gg - "Hurricane Irma: Live update... This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by The Weather Channel."

Last edited:
  • 1Worf