Weather

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Depends on the type of geese, espeially Canads come and go by the subspecies. Greaters come last, the cackler small sub come early. Specklebellies move through here in October and November. Late Dec. is best time for Canadas in the panhandle. Snow geese are just damn near open season especially with the spring conversation seasons. We have an early teal season for two weeks in September cause blue wings will be long gone by the time it gets cold. A lot of it has to do with what they are eating in their end point or layover point. The geese here area eating the peanut fields which would do no good to show up before the peanuts are discked in. We don't get ribeyes in the sky here (sandhill cranes) that's more of a panhandle and west, TX thing. They rank about an 11 out of 10 on the annoying scale, but good to eat.

In the last 25 years or so Mallards have short stopped due to changing land use.

Watching ducks land on a newly frozen river or lake is good fun. They hit and go blam and slide for a looong way then get up and shake their head like "shit wasn't like this yesterday".

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
03171-4291926889-solo, freezing, entombed in ice, frost, masterpiece_1.3, best quality_1.3, re...png

• 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Our forecast got pushed back. Friday starting at midnight Thursday below freezing and down to 12f. Shows heavy rain at that time. I doubt that.

Borzak

The forecast for next Thursday says 72F. Of course 14 days ago the forecast for Christmas was 80F.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The forecast for next Thursday says 72F. Of course 14 days ago the forecast for Christmas was 80F.
Same here. Gets back to mid-60's by the middle of next week, and 70's for the weekend.

The lowest we should be getting is 20F though, so not quite as cold as Texas.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm back to mid 60s thankfully. Had a week and a half of cold(cold for us, highs of 40s). Now its back to normal, with mid 60s and 40s for low. All we really need is years of good rain(unlikely, its a desert for a reason) or years of good western rockies snow pack.

Borzak

Same here. Gets back to mid-60's by the middle of next week, and 70's for the weekend.

The lowest we should be getting is 20F though, so not quite as cold as Texas.

In MS now about 100 miles from the gulf. I see lows on forecast from 12 to 18 so say 15. It's raining here now, hopefully the wind dries the road out before it gets down to <20 at 3am. Normally what happens is it drips off the trees onto the cold road as it gets colder and then bam frozen for 100feet and then nothing, then more ice.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In MS now about 100 miles from the gulf. I see lows on forecast from 12 to 18 so say 15. It's raining here now, hopefully the wind dries the road out before it gets down to <20 at 3am. Normally what happens is it drips off the trees onto the cold road as it gets colder and then bam frozen for 100feet and then nothing, then more ice.
You know its just going to be an icy road shitshow. How else would 2022 end?

Borzak

They really make the phrase "once in a lifetime" have zero meaning. Just here it's been down to 3 once and stayed in 10 or less for a few days (Had lots of oops refinery work cause of it) and 9 years ago it got down to 13 and we had a LOT of ice that shut everything down, we had 2" out front of the house on the road where the ice dripped off the trees and ran down the hill and froze in a big lump. But it's cold, once in a lifetime lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The technical definition for a "once in 100 year" storm is that in the last million years that severity occured ~10,000 times. Are they all perfectly spread out 100 years apart? Of course not.

The last decade has deviated heavily from the prior averages so we hit the 1 in 100/200/1000 year variety way more often. Matter of where and is it "F you in particular 3x in a row"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

The forecast for the low is steadily moving backwards. Forecast was 12 earlier, then 15, then 18. Now for today it's 32 and tomorrow 21. In the deep south big difference in a low of 12 and 21.

And time below freezing is less a day now on the forecast. We shall see.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The technical definition for a "once in 100 year" storm is that in the last million years that severity occured ~10,000 times. Are they all perfectly spread out 100 years apart? Of course not.

The last decade has deviated heavily from the prior averages so we hit the 1 in 100/200/1000 year variety way more often. Matter of where and is it "F you in particular 3x in a row"
I thought the 100 year thing was really a percentage. So a 100 year flood has a 1% chance of happening in any given year. It's an actuarial thing, not a science measure from the entire history of the planet.

Borzak

The 2016 flood outside of Baton Rouge where it rained 30" in 2 days and not a hurricane they termed it a 500 year flood. No idea how they came up with that. Especially considering over the course of that 500 years Baton Rouge rain used to drain into the MS river, which is no longer does because of the levee.

Some people, my sister is taking my dad to see a Christmas parad at 8am tomorrow. LOL.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Kinda funny y'all discussing the meanings of words. I guessed you missed the memo. Words now mean whatever people want them to mean.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My place in Northern MI which is on the West side of state is getting something like 2 ft of snow right now till tomorrow. Its all closed down since like early Nov and all but still might be some good snowmobiling coming up. The last few years have been shit.