Weather

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Disaster status: intermittent gentle showers. Perfect weather for a book and a tasty beverage.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure where you live, but I guarantee the high desert is going to have some epic flooding. And places like the San Gabriel's probably going to have lots of mudslides.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Not sure where you live, but I guarantee the high desert is going to have some epic flooding. And places like the San Gabriel's probably going to have lots of mudslides.
North OC. I’m definitely aware of the risks in a lot of areas in the region. My recent posts are more a comment on the over reaction of people in general (the the help of our beloved MSM of course) when anything out of the ordinary happens.

A little general preparedness and a few minutes of actually looking into what is likely to happen goes a long way.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Also, the rain has picked up and is nice and steady. The wind is supposed to come over night.

1692567240509.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like Ojai got a pretty decent earthquake today that kind of got overshadowed by the tropical storm thing. 5.1 is enough to wake you up. It's not really what I'd call a "big one," but it's decent sized.

For as much talk as Californians like to do about how they get earthquakes all the time, the ones you can feel are pretty rare.

Like, we lived in CA for a decade. I felt one in 2012 that was way offshore in San Diego. I thought it was a plane (was staying in a hotel near the airport).

It wasn't until we'd been there 7 years that we finally felt one were it was like, "oh shit, was that an earthquake?" And that was the foreshock to the much bigger 6.4 (which was the foreshock to the much bigger 7.1).

joz123

Potato del Grande
Looks like Ojai got a pretty decent earthquake today that kind of got overshadowed by the tropical storm thing. 5.1 is enough to wake you up. It's not really what I'd call a "big one," but it's decent sized.

For as much talk as Californians like to do about how they get earthquakes all the time, the ones you can feel are pretty rare.

Like, we lived in CA for a decade. I felt one in 2012 that was way offshore in San Diego. I thought it was a plane (was staying in a hotel near the airport).

It wasn't until we'd been there 7 years that we finally felt one were it was like, "oh shit, was that an earthquake?" And that was the foreshock to the much bigger 6.4 (which was the foreshock to the much bigger 7.1).
I lived in Cali during the Northridge quake in 1994, it was 6.7 magnitude, scary as shit. Did billions of dollars in damage.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>

I’ve been in CA near fault lines for almost 25 years and only felt 1 or 2 that started to scare me.
There was a 5.1 that was 3 miles from our current home that knocked over chimneys in the neighborhood and cleared out people’s shelves/cabinets/book cases. We were out when it happened that night 10-15 miles away. Felt it happen but didn’t think anything of it til my wife’s mother called her pretty shaken up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Was in PR for the 5.8 2011 quake. It was a long low brrrrrrrr noise and swaying up on the 9th floor. Weirdly short-lived, though we also felt a small aftershock some time after. They're pretty serious about earthquake readiness in PR with the dampeners and construction, so we mostly experienced it as a noise that sounded like it was coming from the sky. Disconcerting shit. Good thing it happened where it did because I don't think San Juan metro area would handle that kind of quake so well if it was a direct hit.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
A week ago this storm (now Idalia) was supposed to hit pretty close to us and we were excited that it'd give us some much needed rain and cool us off a good bit.

Now it's just been sitting in the same spot off the Yucatan and they keep upping it's projected strength when it hits the US. For some reason every day it sits there longer, they shift its path further east.

Still curious to see if the El Nino wind shear doesn't rip it apart and all the forecasters are wrong.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A week ago this storm (now Idalia) was supposed to hit pretty close to us and we were excited that it'd give us some much needed rain and cool us off a good bit.

Now it's just been sitting in the same spot off the Yucatan and they keep upping it's projected strength when it hits the US. For some reason every day it sits there longer, they shift its path further east.

Still curious to see if the El Nino wind shear doesn't rip it apart and all the forecasters are wrong.
Yeah its heading straight into a wall of red/purple windshear.

1693238940287.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Thats probably why its not projected to be a cat 5 and is still around a 3. This one just needs to stay away from the Sarasota -> Ft. Myers areas, I dont need to deal with this shit two years in a row.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Track has been inching northward. Last night it was estimated to hit closer to Cedar Key and now its about a dead on path to Horseshoe Beach.

1693248869616.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We're going to get some sick surf here from this system. 6-10 ft waves at a 14s interval. Shame I woke up this morning and my back was fucked.

Not sure I'd actually be up to surf that big though.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Shifted another 20 miles north at the 8pm update. Spring Hill is out of the cone of death and Homosassa Springs is almost out of it.

1693269483598.png

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Storm kept shifting north overnight. We are officially out of the cone of death. Looks like rural Florida gonna take it.

1693312984556.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users