Weather

Caliane

You would be surprised how fast you get used to cold weather. I have lived up north and down south a lot and 100+ temps are much harder for me to deal with than subzero.

Can you even feel a 3.3 earthquake? In CA they don't even make the news unless they are like a 5 or so.
yeah. none are particularly big, thats for sure.
A 1 is similar to a small lightning strike nearby, car backfiring, large truck, etc. a short light rattling.
A 2 is more like a large lighting strike very close, or a large tree falling. whole house rattles. big enough to make you look to see if a tree fell, etc.
A 3 is when you start to feel the waves. Very noticeably earthquake, not explosion, etc. Like you are on a boat, vibrations is noticeable side to side, not an up and down motion.

start checking for foundation damage in 3 and up. cracks in pavement, etc.

5 and up is when actual structural damage is possible for most us homes. yeah.

East coast is different. Like, we've now had 10 earthquakes since Thursday here in Moosup/Plainfield. I am 37. I have now felt a grand total of 11 earthquakes in my life. The only other one, was a couple years ago now. I think it was a 5.3 in Pennsylvania? but, a 5.3 there, can be felt all the way here in CT.

This string is highly unusual. more of an oddity then anything else.

Heres a fun image of it.
http://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-...ecticut/recent
1.5 or greater.
10 in the last 6 days, in plainfield CT.

prior to that, 3 in CT in the last 2 years.
Prior to that, 5 in CT, in the last 15 years.
Helps visualize how weird it is.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Welcome back to Texas. Ice on the truck this morning, had to turn the A/C on for a few minutes this afternoon with the sun shining in.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
pretty bad ice storm here in north jersey. everything is coated in ice. cars all over the roads. accidents being reported all over the area.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Messed up accident the other day here at the southern end of Oregon

rrr_img_88155.jpg

rrr_img_88156.jpg

rrr_img_88157.jpg

rrr_img_88158.jpg

rrr_img_88159.jpg

rrr_img_88160.jpg

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm having trouble imaging how that happened, especially with the last pic. Unless a ton of debris had been removed at that point.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was a ~200 car pileup here in Michigan on I-94 like a week ago or so. One of the semi-trucks was full of fireworks, it got set off, explosions everywhere!!! I actually had the day off work that day, lucky me. I don't actually drive on I-94, but I do take US 131 so it was somewhat close to where I usually drive to and from work. Overall, people driving too fast in near white out / icy conditions. The night before was just as bad, was like 50mph wind gusts causing just about complete white out conditions, da fuck are these people driving that fast for. It's one of the reasons why I kind of want to move out of michigan...lake effect winters blow fucking ass.

Edit:
Was only like 1 dead and ~20 or so injuried.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Everyone of those assholes in the video were driving too fast. That semi was hauling ass.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
why in the fuck were they going so fast in a snowstorm? christ, i drive slower than a crippled old lady when its like that or i stay the fuck home. no regular job is worth risking your life, especially when you cant handle the road conditions.

Because truck drivers get paid by the mile and so they try to get as many miles behind them as they can to make more money. As for the people driving regular vehicles...no idea what they were thinking, just being idiots.

I drive 80+ miles a day to and from work in Michigan and the semi drivers that pass me on the highway when it's icy and snowy out scare the shit out of me. If you go slow, you get tailgated or the idiot who wants to go fast tries to pass and ends up putting you all in the ditch.

It's amazing that only one person died in that pile-up.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I used to drive at night around upstate NY for a living and the worst were the Canadian truckers. If it was tearing up I-87 at 75 mph in a blizzard it probably had Quebec plates. I made crawling around access roads between mountains in Killington and Ludlow VT a pleasure by comparison.