Web Serials

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
TWI is about to end book 7. It's had a lot of plot building up, getting some payoff atm but I wouldn't say the series is even close to done. o_O.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah TWI has 1-2 more chapters for the end of the book, and the last few chapters leading up to these has been top notch. My opinion is still that the pirateaba’s writing has gotten incredibly sloppy (or maybe was never really that good to begin with), but the characters and their interweaving plot lines are still fantastic (for the most part, the Oneiva shit was retarded and completely uninteresting from the getgo). Even Ryoka is a slightly less disgruntled post worker now.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
HWFWM only seems like something is finally starting to happen, but it’s not. Jason is going to take another vacation for a few chapters, then a couple chapters about nightrider followed by three or four chapters of evildoers plotting destruction in terrible dialogue. Then some more chapters flying around and talking to people, with the occasional off-page fighting.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I wonder if Wandering Inn next volume is going to start focusing more on the “dead” gods. I’m guessing the history of Goblins has something to do with them.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yes and yes imo.
My guess is that Goblins played a large role in casting them down and sacrificed something or were very weakened following whatever happened. And then the rest of the races led by elves betrayed them, which would explain the Fae hatred of elves and half elves and their sympathy towards goblins.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
End of volume 7 was released for TWI, in case you are like me and didn’t notice, the last word of each of the parts is a link that takes you to the next part (9 parts in total).

Honestly wasn’t a fan. I was hoping we wouldn’t have a long drawn out resurrection story arc happen, but clearly that’s going to happen now. The whole set of parts released today really just made me think that pirateaba thinks she is a much better writer than she is.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Caught up on Ar’Kendrithyst, still a great all around series. I’ll never understand how a series like this only gets ~$500/mo in patreon while garbage series like he who fights with monsters pulls in over $17k/mo.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
End of volume 7 was released for TWI, in case you are like me and didn’t notice, the last word of each of the parts is a link that takes you to the next part (9 parts in total).

Honestly wasn’t a fan. I was hoping we wouldn’t have a long drawn out resurrection story arc happen, but clearly that’s going to happen now. The whole set of parts released today really just made me think that pirateaba thinks she is a much better writer than she is.

Eh, I liked it well enough, even if it was very different to the normal fare. Being both in a different style and super rushed did it no favors though.

A lot of interesting tying up of various world building plot lines.

Looks like the Blighted King ( fuck that guy ) was being played for a sucker by Tamaroth right from the start. This isn't really a surprise, this guy's evil plan was always a little dumb - if he'd framed it as 'free abortions' he'd have had more volunteers than he knows what to do with, even if he made them pay *him* for the privilege, let alone as 'free abortions... to save the woooorld !'

Overall looks like the Solstice tiff was more or less a draw. One the one hand, Tam and co missed out on a mass summoning that could greatly increase belief in themselves, on the other hand they didn't get roflstomped by the fae court.

The fae went from not interfering because they don't give a fuck, to not interfering because they are locked out, so pretty much a wash there.

I suppose a Ryoka undertaking almost, but not quite, ending in total catastrophe while achieving nothing is pretty in character ;p

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking that Ian is going to kill Zilverna in Menocht Loop.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For someone caught up on Ar'Kendirthyst

I just started reading again after a while. I don't want to go through all of that shit again but what are Incani and Orcols supposed to look like?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
For someone caught up on Ar'Kendirthyst

I just started reading again after a while. I don't want to go through all of that shit again but what are Incani and Orcols supposed to look like?
Incanis are proto-demons; horns, blue to red skin shades, and weird eyes, if I remember right.

Orcols are green-skinned ultra-tall top-models. With tiny fangs.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Incanis are proto-demons; horns, blue to red skin shades, and weird eyes, if I remember right.

Orcols are green-skinned ultra-tall top-models. With tiny fangs.
And of course Erick is a fag.

I honestly don't care that much but why are fags in absolutely everything now? It's getting really tiring.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
And of course Erick is a fag.

I honestly don't care that much but why are fags in absolutely everything now? It's getting really tiring.
It’s 2021, of course. Though I think he’ll actually fuck anything. It’s overall a very minor part of his character it also really annoying

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It’s 2021, of course. Though I think he’ll actually fuck anything. It’s overall a very minor part of his character it also really annoying
Yes, I think in chapter 4, the two guards who welcome the Flatts to Spur (back when they are still not understanding the language) are commenting about the fact that he ogles both of them equally:
“I don’t like how the guy is looking at me.” Beautiful Woman said, “You do it.”
“He’s eyeing me, too.” Gorgeous Man spoke to the blue scaled dragon person, “You’re up, Rookie.”

velk

Trakanon Raider
Finished up 'Small Medium', which is the series the Threadbare author did afterwards. It's set in the same world as Threadbare, but not a continuation - a few of the side characters from Threadbare make cameos, but it is a very different kind of story. On one level it's hafling girl becoming an oracle and seeking out adventure, on another it is like the Overlord LN/anime, except from the point of view of the NPCs.

I liked it a lot. It's not structured like a web serial, it's very much individual book story arcs with a cohesive plot that goes to a logical conclusion. Think of it more like a trilogy of books.

It is not as funny as Threadbare was, being a bit more serious in tone ( although Bastien's part in the final battle fucking killed me ).

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Eury and Ian go steamy in the Patreon Exclusive Menocht Loop.

But will they do the dirty in the Underdark!?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
First, let me thank you guys for this thread and these recommendations. I read Mother of Learning first, and I absolutely loved it. There was almost nothing that I didn't enjoy about that series, and I was eager to keep reading despite my Kindle telling me that I still had 30 minutes until the end of the chapter, and when I got there the % complete had only gone up by 1. The two main characters played off of each other well and there was very little, maybe even none, of the "they get into a fight over a misunderstanding" bullshit drama that authors love to insert. It was all focused on reaching an end goal, at least in terms of what we actually read. Sure Zach was off doing random shit for a long time, but other than a casual mention it wasn't relevant to the story much. I also greatly enjoyed seeing how things that were mentioned in early chapters suddenly became important in later ones; whether that was planned or not, I have no idea, but it was incredibly well done.

So now I've started The Wandering Inn. I'm only a little ways into Volume 1 (1.12R if that matters). I suspected, but did not know for sure until I saw a few of the above comments, that the author was female. I like the story in general, although quite honestly I don't really like the main character (Erin) that much, and I absolutely fucking despise the other one (Ryoka). Particularly with all of her fucking "woke" comments like, "yuck, why are all the humans here caucasians??" or "I'll be damned if I give power to MORE old white men, whatever world I'm in" or "why are men staring at my breasts?" Look, I get that a female from our world would be in for quite a culture shock if she were suddenly transported to a fantasy world where Twatter doesn't exist for them to vent their outrage. But am I going to be subjected to this constantly? Thankfully some of the comments call her out for this, but she never responds and I don't think it has caused her to ease up one bit.

To be fair, it isn't every chapter or anything, but it is enough that I am starting to get annoyed by it. I glossed over her early comment about the 2016 election, but I feel like she's the type of cunt that is going to get more and more emboldened in her outrage and desire to virtue signal it as the RL years progress. Can someone please tell me that I'm wrong, and that it eventually gets mostly politics-neutral?

(And for the people that love to say how the politics thread (which I rarely read) spills over into other areas of the forum, this is why. It isn't my fault that this author chose to inject all this bullshit into her story, I just wanted to read a nice fantasy story and forget all about that shit. But I am quite literally having it thrown in my face every few chapters.)

Perhaps it is just Ryoka that is written that way, as I don't really remember Erin doing it, but I don't know for certain. And even without the SJW bullshit, Ryoka is literally the worst "protagonist" I can remember reading in years. Even the downright horrible humans in stuff like Mark Lawrence's or Joe Abercrombie's books are better people than she is. She is absolutely killing this story for me. And she's quite clearly a Mary Sue, because (so far at least) she can pretty much do anything, and do it better than almost anyone else too. And is a cunt about it.

Do I keep reading? Does it get better, or at least her chapters become fewer compared to others? I actually like the premise, and I really like a lot of the side characters. But she makes me want to punch things. She makes Erin, whom I kind of dislike in a vacuum, seem like a breath of fresh air.

The sad thing is, I actually LIKE strong female characters. The Lady from The Black Company is one of my all-time favorite characters. For those of you that have read our own resident author, Richard Raley's, King Henry books, Annie B and Val "Boomworm" are massive favorites of mine as well. Because they are well-written and confident and strong without having to constantly rail against "The Man." They just go on being badass characters without having to tell us how badass they are, or any other male they run into. The author of TWI hasn't learned that part in the stuff I have read so far. Maybe it gets better? Please?

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
First, let me thank you guys for this thread and these recommendations. I read Mother of Learning first, and I absolutely loved it. There was almost nothing that I didn't enjoy about that series, and I was eager to keep reading despite my Kindle telling me that I still had 30 minutes until the end of the chapter, and when I got there the % complete had only gone up by 1. The two main characters played off of each other well and there was very little, maybe even none, of the "they get into a fight over a misunderstanding" bullshit drama that authors love to insert. It was all focused on reaching an end goal, at least in terms of what we actually read. Sure Zach was off doing random shit for a long time, but other than a casual mention it wasn't relevant to the story much. I also greatly enjoyed seeing how things that were mentioned in early chapters suddenly became important in later ones; whether that was planned or not, I have no idea, but it was incredibly well done.

So now I've started The Wandering Inn. I'm only a little ways into Volume 1 (1.12R if that matters). I suspected, but did not know for sure until I saw a few of the above comments, that the author was female. I like the story in general, although quite honestly I don't really like the main character (Erin) that much, and I absolutely fucking despise the other one (Ryoka). Particularly with all of her fucking "woke" comments like, "yuck, why are all the humans here caucasians??" or "I'll be damned if I give power to MORE old white men, whatever world I'm in" or "why are men staring at my breasts?" Look, I get that a female from our world would be in for quite a culture shock if she were suddenly transported to a fantasy world where Twatter doesn't exist for them to vent their outrage. But am I going to be subjected to this constantly? Thankfully some of the comments call her out for this, but she never responds and I don't think it has caused her to ease up one bit.

To be fair, it isn't every chapter or anything, but it is enough that I am starting to get annoyed by it. I glossed over her early comment about the 2016 election, but I feel like she's the type of cunt that is going to get more and more emboldened in her outrage and desire to virtue signal it as the RL years progress. Can someone please tell me that I'm wrong, and that it eventually gets mostly politics-neutral?

(And for the people that love to say how the politics thread (which I rarely read) spills over into other areas of the forum, this is why. It isn't my fault that this author chose to inject all this bullshit into her story, I just wanted to read a nice fantasy story and forget all about that shit. But I am quite literally having it thrown in my face every few chapters.)

Perhaps it is just Ryoka that is written that way, as I don't really remember Erin doing it, but I don't know for certain. And even without the SJW bullshit, Ryoka is literally the worst "protagonist" I can remember reading in years. Even the downright horrible humans in stuff like Mark Lawrence's or Joe Abercrombie's books are better people than she is. She is absolutely killing this story for me. And she's quite clearly a Mary Sue, because (so far at least) she can pretty much do anything, and do it better than almost anyone else too. And is a cunt about it.

Do I keep reading? Does it get better, or at least her chapters become fewer compared to others? I actually like the premise, and I really like a lot of the side characters. But she makes me want to punch things. She makes Erin, whom I kind of dislike in a vacuum, seem like a breath of fresh air.

The sad thing is, I actually LIKE strong female characters. The Lady from The Black Company is one of my all-time favorite characters. For those of you that have read our own resident author, Richard Raley's, King Henry books, Annie B and Val "Boomworm" are massive favorites of mine as well. Because they are well-written and confident and strong without having to constantly rail against "The Man." They just go on being badass characters without having to tell us how badass they are, or any other male they run into. The author of TWI hasn't learned that part in the stuff I have read so far. Maybe it gets better? Please?
Ryoka is a fucking terrible character early on. She’s an insufferable cunt that wants to fight everyone for no reason and fucks everything up. Her character becomes much better, she eventually drops the insufferable cunt down to 1 or 2 from 11, but she’s still kind of a fuckup.

Erin is a little different, she honestly doesn’t change much personality wise but definitely does change in the circumstances she’s in. That’s one of the more common complaints, that her character doesn’t really seem to grow, learn from mistakes, or actually implement any newfound convictions she has.

I will say that the first couple of books are much worse than the next 4 or 5. The first book especially is much rougher. The woke stuff almost completely goes away tbh (until Oneiva, but so far at least “she” doesn’t have many pages). The woke parts in there are actually kinda funny, trying to remember but at some point I think drakes start chanting to build a wall.

Ryoka gets much less page time going forward from where you are until much later in the series, at which point even if her character isn’t the best she at least is in storylines that are. The story has expanded well beyond those two characters to the point where you could go a half dozen chapters without seeing either of them and not even realize it.

All that said, TWI is still my favorite overall series factoring in longevity, update frequency/length, and overall story quality even if I didn’t like the most recent book as much.

• 1Like