Web Serials

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Ryoka is a fucking terrible character early on. She’s an insufferable cunt that wants to fight everyone for no reason and fucks everything up. Her character becomes much better, she eventually drops the insufferable cunt down to 1 or 2 from 11, but she’s still kind of a fuckup.

Erin is a little different, she honestly doesn’t change much personality wise but definitely does change in the circumstances she’s in. That’s one of the more common complaints, that her character doesn’t really seem to grow, learn from mistakes, or actually implement any newfound convictions she has.

I will say that the first couple of books are much worse than the next 4 or 5. The first book especially is much rougher. The woke stuff almost completely goes away tbh (until Oneiva, but so far at least “she” doesn’t have many pages). The woke parts in there are actually kinda funny, trying to remember but at some point I think drakes start chanting to build a wall.

Ryoka gets much less page time going forward from where you are until much later in the series, at which point even if her character isn’t the best she at least is in storylines that are. The story has expanded well beyond those two characters to the point where you could go a half dozen chapters without seeing either of them and not even realize it.

All that said, TWI is still my favorite overall series factoring in longevity, update frequency/length, and overall story quality even if I didn’t like the most recent book as much.
Thank you. That gives me some hope. I honestly don't hate Erin, although I think she's kind of a terrible character to pin the beginning of a story on. But I can deal with her simply because of the interesting characters that interact with her.

Sad thing is, plenty of interesting characters have interacted with Ryoka already, but I don't want to see them anymore if they are going to drag her back into the story. I'd rather they just show up at Erin's inn (which I think they might anyway) and we all pretend Ryoka ceased to exist.

I almost registered an account just to tell her how fucking horrible those two chapters in a row were, but I realized it wouldn't make any difference since she's well beyond that point by now. And if she's anything at all like her characters, she'd just assume I'm a misogynistic nazi that doesn't understand her wokeness anyway.

I'll keep going thanks to your words, because there are plenty of other interesting characters, and if a bunch more of them become important to the story, I'll likely enjoy it. So thank you again.

I'm serious though, I honestly don't know if there has ever been a character that I wanted to murder more than Ryoka. Even explicitly "villain" characters have more redeeming qualities than she does. I'd rather hang out with fucking Freddy Kreuger than her, even knowing he's going to murder me in some horrible fashion. At least I can respect his motivations. She's just a miserable, unlikable, probably somewhere on the spectrum, cunt.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Thank you. That gives me some hope. I honestly don't hate Erin, although I think she's kind of a terrible character to pin the beginning of a story on. But I can deal with her simply because of the interesting characters that interact with her.

Sad thing is, plenty of interesting characters have interacted with Ryoka already, but I don't want to see them anymore if they are going to drag her back into the story. I'd rather they just show up at Erin's inn (which I think they might anyway) and we all pretend Ryoka ceased to exist.

I almost registered an account just to tell her how fucking horrible those two chapters in a row were, but I realized it wouldn't make any difference since she's well beyond that point by now. And if she's anything at all like her characters, she'd just assume I'm a misogynistic nazi that doesn't understand her wokeness anyway.

I'll keep going thanks to your words, because there are plenty of other interesting characters, and if a bunch more of them become important to the story, I'll likely enjoy it. So thank you again.

I'm serious though, I honestly don't know if there has ever been a character that I wanted to murder more than Ryoka. Even explicitly "villain" characters have more redeeming qualities than she does. I'd rather hang out with fucking Freddy Kreuger than her, even knowing he's going to murder me in some horrible fashion. At least I can respect his motivations. She's just a miserable, unlikable, probably somewhere on the spectrum, cunt.
Pretty much everyone ends up going through the inn. There’s actually like a whole book where Ryoka isn’t even in it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Pretty much everyone ends up going through the inn. There’s actually like a whole book where Ryoka isn’t even in it.

Yeah, despite what it seems like in book 1, Ryoka is actually a side character, and she's supposed to be an unlikable bitch at that point in the story. She's a rich teenage girl rebel, and her political opinions are pretty much in line with that.

She matures a lot as the series goes on.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, despite what it seems like in book 1, Ryoka is actually a side character, and she's supposed to be an unlikable bitch at that point in the story. She's a rich teenage girl rebel, and her political opinions are pretty much in line with that.

She matures a lot as the series goes on.
Well, that is better than nothing. But I would still prefer it if she just died!

The Horns of H-something made it to the inn and I'm glad to get more of them. I'd much rather follow their story, and other adventuring groups, but I guess I'll take what I can get. Ceria, the half-elven mage, is a far better character (despite not knowing shit about her yet compared to what we know of Erin and Ryoka) and vastly more likable. Which probably means she'll die soon :(

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Well, that is better than nothing. But I would still prefer it if she just died!

The Horns of H-something made it to the inn and I'm glad to get more of them. I'd much rather follow their story, and other adventuring groups, but I guess I'll take what I can get. Ceria, the half-elven mage, is a far better character (despite not knowing shit about her yet compared to what we know of Erin and Ryoka) and vastly more likable. Which probably means she'll die soon :(
Horns gets lots of attention throughout the series. They change a LOT though. You've no idea.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Have any of you read Forge of Destiny? I want to start it but its also long as fuck.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Have any of you read Forge of Destiny? I want to start it but its also long as fuck.
I started, got to chapter 115 and gave it up. Characters are boring and there’s no real plot except cultivate and advance. Writing itself was pretty poor from what I can remember which could easily be forgiven with a good story but it didn’t have that.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Horns gets lots of attention throughout the series. They change a LOT though. You've no idea.
Yeah, I just read the chapters where they ran into Skinner. Fuck me :( I suppose there *might* be some way certain characters that I really liked survived, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I sort of feel like if they get a combat section that ends with being torn up by ghouls and the words, "and then she was gone" there probably isn't much hope. But...female writer, female character...you never know! Gurrrrrrl powa!

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Yeah, I just read the chapters where they ran into Skinner. Fuck me :( I suppose there *might* be some way certain characters that I really liked survived, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I sort of feel like if they get a combat section that ends with being torn up by ghouls and the words, "and then she was gone" there probably isn't much hope. But...female writer, female character...you never know! Gurrrrrrl powa!
As far as I know, the writer's name and gender are unknown.

Just curious, who do you really hope survived?

velk

Trakanon Raider

Yeah, I've kept up to date with it. I find it decent, but it really hasn't changed much over the run. You are probably good to read the first 5 or so chapters and decide then.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really liked Blessed Time and kind of still do. But once again the brother's gayness becomes a focus of the story arc now that he's banging the teammate for their current escapade. Rather than the brother just being a completely shameless manwhore for men and women like he was before.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I started, got to chapter 115 and gave it up. Characters are boring and there’s no real plot except cultivate and advance. Writing itself was pretty poor from what I can remember which could easily be forgiven with a good story but it didn’t have that.
When it comes to cultivation stuff, I recently discovered Memories of the Fall, which is full-on xianxia written by a westerner. By full-on, I mean sects plots, multiple worlds, mega-powerful million years-old cultivators, corrupt families, the inevitable Arrogant Young Master...

And a god squirrel that likes to steal pills. And Cthulhu (or his very good likeness). And general weirdness.

It's also an ensemble fantasy story - lots of points of view, not just some generic MC. 3390 pages so far in 74 chapters - most chapters are huge.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
When it comes to cultivation stuff, I recently discovered Memories of the Fall, which is full-on xianxia written by a westerner. By full-on, I mean sects plots, multiple worlds, mega-powerful million years-old cultivators, corrupt families, the inevitable Arrogant Young Master...

And a god squirrel that likes to steal pills. And Cthulhu (or his very good likeness). And general weirdness.

It's also an ensemble fantasy story - lots of points of view, not just some generic MC. 3390 pages so far in 74 chapters - most chapters are huge.
I’ve been looking for something else to read since I’m probably going to drop HWFWM and Delve.

I started reading one not realizing that it was on hiatus and likely to never be started back up which sucks, because it was pretty good for the 10 chapters that were written (essence of cultivation).

I’m pretty sure I just am not a fan of either the xianxia genre or the way that most authors write the genre, but i might give that a try. It seems like they always end up with shit story and characters because they focus on their super generic shitty cultivation process.

Anyone read meta world chronicles? Started it to try it out and I’m still on the fence at chapter 29 on whether I want to continue.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Anyone read meta world chronicles? Started it to try it out and I’m still on the fence at chapter 29 on whether I want to continue.

Yes. Entertaining story, awful writing ( not as bad as azerite healer, but still pretty bad ). The storyline changes considerably for the better, IMO, during the school tournament arc, not sure where that is chapter wise, but it's quite a different story after that.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I’ve been looking for something else to read since I’m probably going to drop HWFWM and Delve.

I started reading one not realizing that it was on hiatus and likely to never be started back up which sucks, because it was pretty good for the 10 chapters that were written (essence of cultivation).

I’m pretty sure I just am not a fan of either the xianxia genre or the way that most authors write the genre, but i might give that a try. It seems like they always end up with shit story and characters because they focus on their super generic shitty cultivation process.

Infinite Realm is good shit.

• 1Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Started reading Knight and Smith, so far I’m enjoying it quite a bit. Characters are a bit fantasy trope-y, but still pretty good. Nice to have a story that isn’t lit-rpg or the standard isekai/wuxia/xian xia

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As far as I know, the writer's name and gender are unknown.

Just curious, who do you really hope survived?
Ceria, the half-elven mage. And of course Calruz, the minotaur leader, but I can't remember now if he got all his skin ripped off or he just disappeared under a sea of undead. I didn't read at all over the weekend, and I've got a few things lined up today at work, so might be a bit before I can read further and find out. I'm purposely not looking at the table of contents because I don't want to see how many chapters I have to wait for different pov's. Or how many Ryoka's I have to dread.