Weight Loss Thread

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My go to quick meal is a garbage omelette. Just throw whatever you have laying around in it and in 5 minutes you have a decent meal. Make a big one and you can have leftovers that reheat ok.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My go to quick meal is a garbage omelette. Just throw whatever you have laying around in it and in 5 minutes you have a decent meal. Make a big one and you can have leftovers that reheat ok.

Edit: I'm on the keto bandwagon, so depending on what you're doing, this may or may not work for you.

Edit 2: Sonofabitch quoted miself instead of editing? I should know better than to post while trying to work.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Okay as someone who works a shitty schedule, and is only eating for me, who doesn't want to cook at 11pm when I get home, what are some suggestions for food with the goal of losing weight? Things that are fast/easy. I'm also very much open (maybe even hoping for?) some meal replacement shakes that would be good for breakfast/lunch type meals while at work, or for snack meals throughout the day.

I'm also probably going to start going to the gym again soon, but I'd like to get my eating on track first (frankly I eat like shit right now)

Any advice or solid resources?

Slow cooker meals are good. Throw a bunch of ingredients into a slow cooker overnight. Wake up and put them in containers and freeze them. Then you'll have 5 or 6 meals ready to heat up in the microwave whenever you want something to eat, and there is no actual cooking work involved.

If you're into a specific diet, every major diet like paleo, keto, whole30 has tons of slow cooker meals that work for them and involve little more than tossing a hunk of meat, some frozen veggies, and a few spices into the cooker.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Okay as someone who works a shitty schedule, and is only eating for me, who doesn't want to cook at 11pm when I get home, what are some suggestions for food with the goal of losing weight? Things that are fast/easy. I'm also very much open (maybe even hoping for?) some meal replacement shakes that would be good for breakfast/lunch type meals while at work, or for snack meals throughout the day.

I'm also probably going to start going to the gym again soon, but I'd like to get my eating on track first (frankly I eat like shit right now)

Any advice or solid resources?

Salad kits. Eggs. Lunch meats. Nuts. Fruits. Avocados. Frozen veggies for the microwave. Basically lots of vegetables and do what you can to cut carbs. Lower dairy is healthier in general as well, but if you aren't diabetic do what you want.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't be afraid to cook. Sure, you don't always feel like cooking when you've just put in a full day, but cooking your own food goes a long way into losing weight. It makes you much more aware what you're putting into your body. There are a lot of chopped/spiralized vegetables you can buy in markets now that can eliminate a lot of prep time(also buy a ninja chopper for prep). Not sure if you would consider yourself a picky eater or not? If you do I'd also say accept the fact that you need to expand your palette.

Cooking for one isn't necessarily bad either because left overs are great for lunch the next day. You can also meal prep on days off.

For breakfast on work days I'll just do a protein bar most days; another good alternative is overnight oats, which I can tell you more about if you think that is something you'd be more interested in. Buy plant based protein powder for shakes; also chia seeds and ground flax seeds are good to add to shakes/yogurt.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Okay as someone who works a shitty schedule, and is only eating for me, who doesn't want to cook at 11pm when I get home, what are some suggestions for food with the goal of losing weight?
1) Crock pot/slow cooker recipes. Can either put them on overnight or put them on while you are at work. Wake up or come home to a cooked meal.

2) Main thing I do is simply cook and make a big enough meal that it last me enough for 4-5 meals. When I make spaghetti I easily get 4 meals out of that.

3) Meal prep. Spend a few hours on your day off cooking a lot of food and portion it out for the week.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Slow cooker meals are good. Throw a bunch of ingredients into a slow cooker overnight. Wake up and put them in containers and freeze them. Then you'll have 5 or 6 meals ready to heat up in the microwave whenever you want something to eat, and there is no actual cooking work involved.

If you're into a specific diet, every major diet like paleo, keto, whole30 has tons of slow cooker meals that work for them and involve little more than tossing a hunk of meat, some frozen veggies, and a few spices into the cooker.

What do you use to store the frozen portions in? Just Tupperware?

Actually, can anyone recommend some non-plastic storage containers for the freezer that can be tossed into a microwave? (after thawing of course)

Last edited by a moderator:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Don't be afraid to cook. Sure, you don't always feel like cooking when you've just put in a full day, but cooking your own food goes a long way into losing weight. It makes you much more aware what you're putting into your body.

This is probably what has done the most for me. When i started this back in August, I cut out pretty much all fast food and convenient stuff and forced myself to cook pretty much everything. I take advantage of my laziness now. Too lazy to cook? Too lazy to eat.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
What do you use to store the frozen portions in? Just Tupperware?

Actually, can anyone recommend some non-plastic storage containers for the freezer that can be tossed into a microwave? (after thawing of course)

I use those cheap gladware plastic containers you can buy in the grocery store. They come in packages of three to five. They are microwave safe, clean easily, and cheap enough to toss and buy more if they break, get lost, etc.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I use those cheap gladware plastic containers you can buy in the grocery store. They come in packages of three to five. They are microwave safe, clean easily, and cheap enough to toss and buy more if they break, get lost, etc.

Yeah, I have a bunch of those but I find they stain with anything acidic (tomato based stuff) and are impossible to clean after greasy foods without using a lot of soap which then gives them a soapy aftertaste.

I'm thinking of buying a set of glassware ones, but not sure what to aim for.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I have a bunch of those but I find they stain with anything acidic (tomato based stuff) and are impossible to clean after greasy foods without using a lot of soap which then gives them a soapy aftertaste.

i don't know where i said it, but check out the rubber maid brilliance line, best containers i've had so far, no staining (trust me, my tomato n beef is strong), doesn't leak, and i think it could stop a bullet.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
very simple quick meal ive been doing alot is as follows:

-open up a can of tuna or can of chicken breast meat and throw it into a bowel
-add a bit of mayo
-add a bit of simple relish out of a jar
-salt/pepper to taste and mix it up

I usually scoop out one avocado and throw it into the bowel to eat as a accompaniment to this, along with maybe a hunk of cheese.

very quick filling and nutritious meal, especially for someone doing keto like me.

Another lunch or dinner i seem to do a lot is a plate of pickles, lunchmeat, cheese/olives, and some guac.

For breakfast , those jimmydean eggwhiches are a quick two minute zap in the micro and they have no bread. That with some coffee and cream gets you going.

I hear you about wanting to hear about good things on the go or even easier like shakes. I travel a lot for work and have to pack a lunchbox. Stuff in it like beef sticks, a zip lock baggy of pork cracklings, cheese sticks, envelopes of tunafish, baggy of nuts, and some low carb bars.

I've finally (today actually) bought a scale for the house to get consistent readings, but I think i've lost 5 to 8 pounds since Jan 1st.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Just make sure you get a set with tapered sides. If they're too perpendicular to the bottom they'll have a tendency to break if you freeze liquids in them.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
very simple quick meal ive been doing alot is as follows:

-open up a can of tuna or can of chicken breast meat and throw it into a bowel
-add a bit of mayo
-add a bit of simple relish out of a jar
-salt/pepper to taste and mix it up.

I do this too. I find a bit of mayo and sriracha are a great mix with the tuna. Give spicy mustard & sweet dill relish with tins of flakes of ham/chicken a try sometime.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm back on the wagon again. I had a catastrophic knee injury a couple years ago that basically eliminated my ability to do normal exercise outside of swimming and walking. My weight started creeping up. Last month I realized that I was 20-25 lbs over my previous healthy baseline, looked like a gumball, and have a beach vacation scheduled in June.

From previous experience I can get consistent results by weighing and logging everything I consume and targeting a moderate caloric deficit (750 cal/day). I'm down 6 lbs in the last four weeks and should be ~185 by the time I hit the beach (15 lbs off recent max). I'm shooting for a six-pack by August.

This process fucking sucks and I irritate my wife by forcing the whole household to weigh and measure all family foods so I can portion it by calories. I miss beer, but it's effective. Sigh.

Edit: Different from the last time I did this I'm also doing intermittent fasting from 8PM-noon, basically skipping breakfasts. I don't know if it's the difference in my activity level, age, or the fasting, but I find myself to be much less hungry than previous diets for the same level of weight loss.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's funny how addictive liquid calories are. My biggest thing was always soda. I stopped drinking it daily years ago but I crave it all the time