Weight Loss Thread

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ya 2 fake natties that sell protein products no shit rofl. Legit as bro science as bro science fucking gets.
If you want to profit from selling food, it's best to sell sugar. The pressure from the food industry is tremendous. There is a much more massive bias toward carbohydrates.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you want to profit from selling food, it's best to sell sugar. The pressure from the food industry is tremendous. There is a much more massive bias toward carbohydrates.

Protein is generally higher margin while carbs/sugar are high volume but lower margin. If you can land a high volume protein deal, you'll make bank. The appetizer plant I currently work at does half the volume of the bakery I was at, but generates 50% more revenue.

Gurgeh

Towards beetus you say?
Way to kill one bird with two stones. Sell them shitty food, then tell them it's going to be fine if they take that shitty drug instead of changing their diet.

Nestle Pharmaceutical :
Our expertise in pharma focuses on developing pharmaceutical therapies to prevent, manage and treat diseases related to food allergies, gastrointestinal intolerance, and patient metabolism.
Let's fuck you digestive system and your metabolism, then sell you shitty drugs to put on bandage on the issue we cause. Profit!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gurgeh

My real short coming is sleep. I’ve been better so far this year though.
I used to have serious trouble sleeping, like regularly putting an all nighter, most of the time taking 1-3 hours to fall asleep. Now it's a lot better, and I believe it's because I've increased how much I walk, I was barely putting 30k step a week, now I'm over 100k pretty much every week, and I have a lot less trouble sleeping now, most of the day I just fall asleep within 30 minutes, sometimes even almost immediately. I'm pretty sure it's all the walking outside.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Way to kill one bird with two stones. Sell them shitty food, then tell them it's going to be fine if they take that shitty drug instead of changing their diet.
Yeah, complex carbs are fucking awful for the human body. That said, adding exercise and just counting calories would solve 99% of the problems we are seeing these days. We just need to go back to publicly shaming the fuck out of fatties and make sure everyone gets that memo. You so fat. Eat less and exercise more fattie.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The latest data seem to suggest that the more protein you eat the longer and healthier you live.
It's not clear there is a healthy maximum, especialy since the alternative is often sugar as fat calories are hard to get in sufficient ammount.

People are different some thrive on carnivore while other don't, but for sure vegan is shit.

This is 100% true for dogs, and has actually been studied in depth. Human studies are hard because the highest performing people aren't changing their diets for your studies. So you're left with the middling and mediocre to get data from. But with dogs, you can feed dogs whatever you want and that's what they get. The book Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lee Olson has studies in there that show there is no point where more protein becomes detrimental to dogs. Feed them more protein and they become healthier, faster, and stronger and at no point in that curve does their performance suffer as a result of protein intake. This is shit I learned 15 years ago when I got the first German Shepherd, and for some reason I guess I never thought about it at all for humans. But, ever since I switched to a diet of 1g/lb of bodyweight and started lifting (not always 6x a week like I should, but more than most people), almost all of my health issues just kinda faded away. The only lingering issue I have is mechanical - can't really fault a diet for a torn meniscus. But I feel better, I'm in less pain, my body fat percentage has dropped, and I look better than I've ever looked, even in my 20s when i was young and doing manual labor.

I dunno whether we're set up the same as dogs and run best on straight meat/protein, but I can say it's worked really fucking well for me, and that's all I give a shit about. I don't care if other guys are juicing or not. That's irrelevant to me, I'm not vain enough to do that shit. What matters is the diet change was more than enough to kickstart a pretty massive change in my 40s and make me feel physically like I'm 30 again, before all the breaking down started happening.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I used to have serious trouble sleeping, like regularly putting an all nighter, most of the time taking 1-3 hours to fall asleep. Now it's a lot better, and I believe it's because I've increased how much I walk, I was barely putting 30k step a week, now I'm over 100k pretty much every week, and I have a lot less trouble sleeping now, most of the day I just fall asleep within 30 minutes, sometimes even almost immediately. I'm pretty sure it's all the walking outside.
How is it possible to do 30k a week? I think I'd go mad doing that little. I average 30k a day the rare times I actually check, but I'm also a mad pacer and will walk around pointlessly at least half of every work day.

I know my 3-4 year bout with severe alcoholism blasted my sleep apart. I basically couldn't sleep without booze, and couldn't drink booze unless it was all of it. Didn't sleep for a week when I finally quick, and even now I only really sleep 4-5 hours, but it's all pretty solid rem sleep and I'm not tired, so don't think much about it. A big part of training myself is I never try to sleep unless I'm actually tired. Plenty of nights I pretty much just skipped sleeping, though that became rarer over time.

Gurgeh

I dunno whether we're set up the same as dogs and run best on straight meat/protein, but I can say it's worked really fucking well for me, and that's all I give a shit about. I don't care if other guys are juicing or not. That's irrelevant to me, I'm not vain enough to do that shit. What matters is the diet change was more than enough to kickstart a pretty massive change in my 40s and make me feel physically like I'm 30 again, before all the breaking down started happening.

Funny, that's literaly the same for me, switching calories from carbs to protein in my 40's allowed me to get over some serious health problem, and I feel like I'm 30 again. Sometimes, I'll eat just one meal a day, that meal will be sardine, beef, cheese and a few fruits... pretty sure that's over 50% of my calories coming from protein.

• 1Like

Gurgeh

How is it possible to do 30k a week? I think I'd go mad doing that little. I average 30k a day the rare times I actually check, but I'm also a mad pacer and will walk around pointlessly at least half of every work day.

I know my 3-4 year bout with severe alcoholism blasted my sleep apart. I basically couldn't sleep without booze, and couldn't drink booze unless it was all of it. Didn't sleep for a week when I finally quick, and even now I only really sleep 4-5 hours, but it's all pretty solid rem sleep and I'm not tired, so don't think much about it. A big part of training myself is I never try to sleep unless I'm actually tired. Plenty of nights I pretty much just skipped sleeping, though that became rarer over time.
Most people don't even do 30k a week, if they did we'd have a lot less health problem. 30k a day is extreme, that's what hunter gatherers did apparently. Pre-automobile people were walking around 15k a day it seems.
That being said, I wish I had a job which allowed me to walk 30k a day, but I just can't find 5 hours to walk every day. 2.5 hours is already not trivial.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This is 100% true for dogs, and has actually been studied in depth...

I'd be careful with extrapolating any nutritional info for dogs to humans. Dogs have a much more efficient fat->active energy metabolic pathway compared to humans (and other animals), and that's why they can pull off absurd feats of endurance. So to answer your basic question of are humans and dogs set up the same? The answer is a clear no.

Most people eat way too much bad fat and carbs, and too little quality protein. Any diet that reverses that is probably at the very least not bad for you.

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I'd be careful with extrapolating any nutritional info for dogs to humans. Dogs have a much more efficient fat->active energy metabolic pathway compared to humans (and other animals), and that's why they can pull off absurd feats of endurance. So to answer your basic question of are humans and dogs set up the same? The answer is a clear no.

Most people eat way too much bad fat and carbs, and too little quality protein. Any diet that reverses that is probably at the very least not bad for you.

Yeah, but at the end of the day, are we really all that different? We're 2 of the most efficient predators this planet has ever produced. And I dunno about them beating our endurance - there ain't a 26 mile race for dogs. But at the end of the day, we're just 2 carnivores trying to make our way in this crazy world...

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, but at the end of the day, are we really all that different? We're 2 of the most efficient predators this planet has ever produced. And I dunno about them beating our endurance - there ain't a 26 mile race for dogs. But at the end of the day, we're just 2 carnivores trying to make our way in this crazy world...
First, humans are not predators. We are ominvores, and everything about our body and digestive system makes that obvious. We can process and safely eat numerous things that are toxic to dogs, and dogs, along with most predators, can handle eating things that would kill us, especially in the territory of uncooked/spoiled food, or rotting meat/raw bones.

And as for the no long races for dogs... just saying, might want to read up on that.

Can humans and dogs survive off each others diets? Yes, thats one reason we've gotten along so well for thousands of years. Is it a good measure for what's ideal? Almost certainly not.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Aight, it's early, I forgot about the Iditarod. But I think we're mostly talking past each other anyway.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wont get into the amount of protein a person should have, argument/discussion, you guys are having. I just listened to what my trainer is telling me, which again, is a coach at two large universities and a prior Olympic dead lifter. He may be wrong, but its working for me in terms of muscle growth (or keeping it), and my net calorie deficit is definitely working. As 200 was the goal, and 207 was what I weighed before I took a shit. I take Animal Pak vitamins every morning - 6 large pills of all kinds of shit along with the fish oil pill. If Im missing something, Im sure itll bite me on the ass sooner rather than later, though. But Im wrapping up the program with my trainer at the end of next month, so thats that. Ive watched so many people come to this gym and never see them again, that regardless - I know Im doing better than the large majority of people.

This is 100% true for dogs, and has actually been studied in depth. Human studies are hard because the highest performing people aren't changing their diets for your studies. So you're left with the middling and mediocre to get data from. But with dogs, you can feed dogs whatever you want and that's what they get. The book Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lee Olson has studies in there that show there is no point where more protein becomes detrimental to dogs. Feed them more protein and they become healthier, faster, and stronger and at no point in that curve does their performance suffer as a result of protein intake. This is shit I learned 15 years ago when I got the first German Shepherd, and for some reason I guess I never thought about it at all for humans. But, ever since I switched to a diet of 1g/lb of bodyweight and started lifting (not always 6x a week like I should, but more than most people), almost all of my health issues just kinda faded away. The only lingering issue I have is mechanical - can't really fault a diet for a torn meniscus. But I feel better, I'm in less pain, my body fat percentage has dropped, and I look better than I've ever looked, even in my 20s when i was young and doing manual labor.

While in the Army, I got my two mile down to 11:54 seconds, pushups and situps were around 54 for a single minute. There is no doubt about it, I was in the best shape of my life when it came to having a runner's physique (17-22 years old). The reason I bring this up, is because I remember my last PT test and I weighed a whopping 158 pounds. Doing the math for what my measurements are saying, if I had 0% body fat - I would be at ~180-185 pounds. Im just confused to the point that.. did I really have that much less muscle mass in the Army? Or am I just doing the math wrong somewhere. I just dont understand it. I definitely dont have the burst or limberness that I had back then, but I didnt lift any weights at all and Im wondering if I just had a physique like Lumi's?

Daidraco

Oh, and if any of you have suggestions on a good 13mm belt, I would appreciate it. 10mm would probably be fine, too. But Ive been using my trainers 13mm since we started and I really do need to get my own at some point. I rarely wear one except when he's pushing me, or Im doing a routine with one of my buddies. Gym Reapers is advertising the fk out of their belts to me, so the advertising algo's must have caught wind. But I see much cheaper ones when actually looking?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Oh, and if any of you have suggestions on a good 13mm belt, I would appreciate it. 10mm would probably be fine, too. But Ive been using my trainers 13mm since we started and I really do need to get my own at some point. I rarely wear one except when he's pushing me, or Im doing a routine with one of my buddies. Gym Reapers is advertising the fk out of their belts to me, so the advertising algo's must have caught wind. But I see much cheaper ones when actually looking?
Ask the bb bros in their thread for a good brand and see what you can get it for on Amazon?

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I wont get into the amount of protein a person should have, argument/discussion, you guys are having. I just listened to what my trainer is telling me, which again, is a coach at two large universities and a prior Olympic dead lifter. He may be wrong, but its working for me in terms of muscle growth (or keeping it), and my net calorie deficit is definitely working. As 200 was the goal, and 207 was what I weighed before I took a shit. I take Animal Pak vitamins every morning - 6 large pills of all kinds of shit along with the fish oil pill. If Im missing something, Im sure itll bite me on the ass sooner rather than later, though. But Im wrapping up the program with my trainer at the end of next month, so thats that. Ive watched so many people come to this gym and never see them again, that regardless - I know Im doing better than the large majority of people.

While in the Army, I got my two mile down to 11:54 seconds, pushups and situps were around 54 for a single minute. There is no doubt about it, I was in the best shape of my life when it came to having a runner's physique (17-22 years old). The reason I bring this up, is because I remember my last PT test and I weighed a whopping 158 pounds. Doing the math for what my measurements are saying, if I had 0% body fat - I would be at ~180-185 pounds. Im just confused to the point that.. did I really have that much less muscle mass in the Army? Or am I just doing the math wrong somewhere. I just dont understand it. I definitely dont have the burst or limberness that I had back then, but I didnt lift any weights at all and Im wondering if I just had a physique like Lumi's?
Measurements? Pretty sure DEXA is the only way to get an accurate body comp.

I was similar in the Air Force; bit over 5’10”, I think around 150lbs, 1.5 miles in about 10 minutes, 40 pushups, mid 60s for sit ups.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Measurements? Pretty sure DEXA is the only way to get an accurate body comp.

I was similar in the Air Force; bit over 5’10”, I think around 150lbs, 1.5 miles in about 10 minutes, 40 pushups, mid 60s for sit ups.
"Styku" is the machine that takes your full bodies measurements. Has pretty good reviews, but Im sure with a machine like that, that there is a margin of error (that is acceptable.) It gives you a 3D scan, and if you take them over the course of months - it gives you graphs showing the changes etc.
PBx12QY6VFTG0nbMAmPOldHjKeiRQlR4-OiNXZTWsLCBDtsQ41K6OCtJllcAwNSJOngt8itcRWdiW4pZ8Lgf8N3Fdy9A-m9YOoK9-SG3ICJWHrQq5FnbN_eoS0MvfhC8jcaVcDlbY_xmpZE2cqX2NS8

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
"Styku" is the machine that takes your full bodies measurements. Has pretty good reviews, but Im sure with a machine like that, that there is a margin of error (that is acceptable.) It gives you a 3D scan, and if you take them over the course of months - it gives you graphs showing the changes etc.
PBx12QY6VFTG0nbMAmPOldHjKeiRQlR4-OiNXZTWsLCBDtsQ41K6OCtJllcAwNSJOngt8itcRWdiW4pZ8Lgf8N3Fdy9A-m9YOoK9-SG3ICJWHrQq5FnbN_eoS0MvfhC8jcaVcDlbY_xmpZE2cqX2NS8
Ah, so surface area and volume? I guess I don’t really see the benefit of that over DEXA unless you’re already getting too much radiation?