What do you do?

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I can't see myself ever spending more than like $35k on a car. I just don't see the point.
When you make more arbitrary numbers like this stop making sense. If you make $80k, then dropping $35k on a car every 3-4 years is a reasonable purchase. If you make $400k, dropping $35k is chump change. If you make a million, you get a new range rover because you were sick of the color of your old one. Small purchases like that stop mattering.

Kinda like if you're a normal upper middle class dude you go out to eat and give no fucks about the cost of something on the menu. You just get what you want, because the cost difference is immaterial to your bottom line. As you make more the cost difference between cars starts to become the same.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I can't see myself ever spending more than like $35k on a car. I just don't see the point.
I have the same mentality. I'm content with Japanese sedans until I'm 80 and get a Buick.

Not to derail the thread, 2 more days at my current job and couldn't be happier.

New position is project manager. Will still be a contractor, but supporting a much better goverment agency at a top tier contracting firm.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
When you make more arbitrary numbers like this stop making sense. If you make $80k, then dropping $35k on a car every 3-4 years is a reasonable purchase. If you make $400k, dropping $35k is chump change. If you make a million, you get a new range rover because you were sick of the color of your old one. Small purchases like that stop mattering.

Kinda like if you're a normal upper middle class dude you go out to eat and give no fucks about the cost of something on the menu. You just get what you want, because the cost difference is immaterial to your bottom line. As you make more the cost difference between cars starts to become the same.
I wish I was a fancy lawyer, damn. Or at the minimum not a jewtalian.

I don't think it it is just a numbers thing. My father retired as a CFO of a reinsurance company making close to 2mil his final year. You'd never know the man made more than 100k the way he lives.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Personally I always hated the thought of paying a large amount of money for what I consider to be an appliance. A complicated appliance but an appliance nonetheless. Can my infiniti get me to my destination the same way a benz can? Yes? Then why pay more?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

I just don't like wearing flashy clothes or driving flashy cars. Like wearing Affliction shirts. Yeah everyone knows it cost you $80 but it is still gaudy. I guess it works for some people but not for others. I know even back when the founders of Google were billionaires they drove like Corollas. I'm kind of that same mindset.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I wish I was a fancy lawyer, damn. Or at the minimum not a jewtalian.

I don't think it it is just a numbers thing. My father retired as a CFO of a reinsurance company making close to 2mil his final year. You'd never know the man made more than 100k the way he lives.
Well, I don't really spend much. My money is piling up. I could already live with my current expenses for about 14 years even if I quit work today. I think it's important to live below your means and save but I don't think you need to jew it up with every purchase. The only nice thing about having money is the freedom to spend it to make yourself happy, if you jew yourself into the poorhouse with millions in the bank you're missing out.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I just don't like wearing flashy clothes or driving flashy cars. Like wearing Affliction shirts. Yeah everyone knows it cost you $80 but it is still gaudy. I guess it works for some people but not for others. I know even back when the founders of Google were billionaires they drove like Corollas. I'm kind of that same mindset.
Uhh don't you buy like $100+ japanese jeans?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Well, I don't really spend much. My money is piling up. I could already live with my current expenses for about 14 years even if I quit work today. I think it's important to live below your means and save but I don't think you need to jew it up with every purchase. The only nice thing about having money is the freedom to spend it to make yourself happy, if you jew yourself into the poorhouse with millions in the bank you're missing out.
He just grew up with nothing, was literally born in a farmhouse in Italy.

I'm not complaining either way. My 2yr old daughter has more than enough in her college account from the man already.

Tenks

I didn't say I don't buy expensive things but no one would know how much my jeans cost unless they specifically know the brand. On the other hand True Religion jeans are expensive and extraordinarily flashy to make sure everyone knows how much you spent on your jeans.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't say I don't buy expensive things but no one would know how much my jeans cost unless they specifically know the brand. On the other hand True Religion jeans are expensive and extraordinarily flashy to make sure everyone knows how much you spent on your jeans.
Ok well aside from my cars I don't buy clothes that anyone would recognize either. I don't buy clothes or goods for the status. I guess cars would be the only thing, but I'm a car guy and bought my cars for what they are, not what they say about me.

Tenks

Yeah I understand it is a hobby for some people. It is just cars are almost inheritely seen as a status symbol really ever since they came out. I may be overly sensitive about it because my uncle is your token "I have money and I let everyone know about it." Which I feel if you're a person who feels to need to express to everyone how much money you have that probably means you don't actually have that much money.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I understand it is a hobby for some people. It is just cars are almost inheritely seen as a status symbol really ever since they came out. I may be overly sensitive about it because my uncle is your token "I have money and I let everyone know about it." Which I feel if you're a person who feels to need to express to everyone how much money you have that probably means you don't actually have that much money.
Some people like to express to everyone how much money they have and are also filthy fucking rich. You can't really tell.

People see the cars and house I have and usually act confused when I don't have all the usual lake house, designer shit, etc.. which is just for status. We are cheap bastards on a lot of things
smile.png
I guess the pure status goods that don't really add any value besides the name I don't own. People often confuse "expensive nice stuff" with "you bought that for status" just because d-bags do buy it for status.

Jewelry is a great example, I have a (just one!) $400 citizen eco-drive watch, and thats probably the cheapest watch of any of my peers. They all have these stupid expensive watches that don't even keep good time. You can't really compare bullshit like that to cars, because my sports cars are OBJECTIVELY BETTER than cheap piece of shit cars. A lot of the expensive status goods are objectively worse.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Porsche's, Land Rovers, Maserati's etc are just purely fashion choices. They offer no measurable greater utility than a Toyota or Ford or whatever. You're just paying extra for a fashion statement. Just like paying $300 for designer jeans over $30 Levis, or a $2000 Macbook Air over a $500 Dell laptop. Some people care about fashion statements and status symbols, some do not, regardless of how much money you have. I could have $100mil in the bank, and I'd never buy a Land Rover SUV over a Ford Explorer or Toyota Highlander, I just don't care. It's a car, I drive it from point A to point B. As long as its reliable, and not a total rust bucket, I'm good.

The food/menu example is relevant too. I make enough money that I really don't care what food costs at any restaurant I would normally go to. Whether it's a $10 burger or a $100 steak, whatever. But you know what? The $10 burger fills me up just as much as the $100 steak, and I enjoy it just as much, so I get that more often than not. I just flat-out don't have fancy tastes and I don't care about impressing anyone. That aspect is very important to some people, everyone has different priorities in life, neither choice is right or wrong, just different.

Tenks

They may not be objectively better but I kind of get where he's coming from, though. If your hobby really is cars and you buy a new one every 5 years if you move from spending 30k to 80k you're really only spending 10k/yr on your hobby. Still fairly expensive in my eyes but not completely nutty.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
How is a porsche objectively better than a toyota?
More power, more grip, engine layout (I have a mid engined porsche) causes far better transient suspension response, bigger/better brakes, motorsports-derived transmission choices and programming, better cooling systems for the track (I go to the racetrack once a month or so), better paint quality, better quality materials on the interior, better sound system choices, motorsports-oriented instrumentation, fully defeatable stability/traction control, rear wheel drive, better lubrication systems that don't oil starve in the first 1.4g sweeper, better suspension tuning (damping) and more aggressive suspension tuning (spring and swaybar rates), adjustable suspension (PASM), sport bucket seats are available that allow me to install harnesses and HANS, quick steering ratio that allows me to correct slides without moving my hands on the track, the torque curve is tuned for high rpm operation which for a motorsports application is correct, the engine sound and texture is much more pleasing and visceral, the flat-6 architecture results in lower cg and therefore better roll characteristics without needing harsh suspension, causing less camber change and better grip...

etc etc

Was that a serious question?