What do you do?

Vinen

God is dead
I'm not too worried. We're one of the few groups making money, so all reports so far have been Dell leaving us alone and continue to do our thing. Guess we'll see.

Which org are you in? Sales? Professional Services?
Solutions Architect has turned into such an overloaded title in this day and age.

Last edited:

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Make the jump imo. You will rise to the occasion, then you will be on that next level. That's how people get there, they take a chance.

I'm definitely exploring. Some of those west coast companies you just don't shrug off. It's a very early interview, but based on the info I was sent I know exactly whose team it is on. It's an intimidating group.

More than the work, I don't know if it would be the right thing financially. I have the cushiest position in the world right now with a full-time remote day job, and an overpaid contract gig on the side. I would definitely have to walk away from that, and it's about 30 grand a year. When you also factor in the massive cost of living increases that come with the Bay area, I'm almost certain it would be taking a pay cut for a vastly more impressive entry on a resume.

That's getting ahead of things though. First I actually have to interview, and chances are very low of making it through all that. I do have a colleague who jumped ship recently, so I know its achievable. Just tough.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Meh. Do the interview then weigh your options. I'm taking a new job 10 months after starting my current job. Not really looking forward to the conversation with my boss. Last one was easy as he already had an idea. Just had a 1:1 with my boss today and told him everything was great.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
AwwwwwwwwkwaaaaRd

It is what it is. I just came on board at this place and my company list to contract, so the incoming contractor is giving me an offer. I'm taking it, but realistically have no intention of working for them. Going to be a terrible conversation here in a couple of weeks. But I have to make sure that no matter what happens, I am covered.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Got my offer letter from the incoming contractor on this project. It contains an absurdly broad non compete clause in it, which I have never even seen in an offer letter. Basically I would be unable to work for any company competing with them for any work, or on any project they are trying to win. For a year after my employment terminates. I sent them back a cordial note letting them know that was unreasonable and I can't sign while that clause exists.

So I doubt they will remove it. I am assuming they won't, so I'm going at it without a net here. Luckily my interviews have all been going well so I'm not panicking yet.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Got my offer letter from the incoming contractor on this project. It contains an absurdly broad non compete clause in it, which I have never even seen in an offer letter. Basically I would be unable to work for any company competing with them for any work, or on any project they are trying to win. For a year after my employment terminates. I sent them back a cordial note letting them know that was unreasonable and I can't sign while that clause exists.

So I doubt they will remove it. I am assuming they won't, so I'm going at it without a net here. Luckily my interviews have all been going well so I'm not panicking yet.
How big is company coming in? That can seriously limit future opportunities.

Seems super shitty/shaddy. What company is it if you can say

Vinen

God is dead
Meh. Do the interview then weigh your options. I'm taking a new job 10 months after starting my current job. Not really looking forward to the conversation with my boss. Last one was easy as he already had an idea. Just had a 1:1 with my boss today and told him everything was great.

Why do I get the sense you are part of the problem here. A 1 on 1 is a time to air your grievances and propose solutions.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm

May be worth having an employment lawyer look over it. Most of those are not enforceable...

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm definitely exploring. Some of those west coast companies you just don't shrug off. It's a very early interview, but based on the info I was sent I know exactly whose team it is on. It's an intimidating group.

More than the work, I don't know if it would be the right thing financially. I have the cushiest position in the world right now with a full-time remote day job, and an overpaid contract gig on the side. I would definitely have to walk away from that, and it's about 30 grand a year. When you also factor in the massive cost of living increases that come with the Bay area, I'm almost certain it would be taking a pay cut for a vastly more impressive entry on a resume.

That's getting ahead of things though. First I actually have to interview, and chances are very low of making it through all that. I do have a colleague who jumped ship recently, so I know its achievable. Just tough.

Where in the Bay Area? The salaries here are pretty good. My salary more than doubled when I moved from Cincinnati to SF.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Why do I get the sense you are part of the problem here. A 1 on 1 is a time to air your grievances and propose solutions.
Of course I am part of the problem, but what am I going to say - "Hey boss by the way I hate my job, I hate the company, I hate my commute and I'm looking for a new job"?

In my eyes there is no solution here, I have to move on.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
May be worth having an employment lawyer look over it. Most of those are not enforceable...

Yeah I don't want to mention the company since Google knows and sees all. It is a small company though. I imagine it is unenforceable, but I don't want to have to deal with this in court either.

I've already sent off my terrorist demands for them to remove it. I had a really good interview yesterday and a good one on Tuesday and I have 5 (!!!!!) interviews today. Rolling the dice but all indications are that this won't be an issue.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Where in the Bay Area? The salaries here are pretty good. My salary more than doubled when I moved from Cincinnati to SF.

San Mateo. I'm sure that the salary would be very competitive, but the cost of living difference is about 40%. Factor in dropping easy contract work and my salary would have to double to maintain parity. At that point it's a question of whether the potential to open new doors is worth jumping now.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah Silicon Valley/Peninsula is rough. It's very expensive to live there and isn't even that great. The weather is nice though. At least it's not deeper south. Palo Alto/Santa Clara/Cupertino is a shit show.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah Silicon Valley/Peninsula is rough. It's very expensive to live there and isn't even that great. The weather is nice though. At least it's not deeper south. Palo Alto/Santa Clara/Cupertino is a shit show.

This is the best part about Boston. It's possible to get a Silicon Valley salary without living there.

Of course I am part of the problem, but what am I going to say - "Hey boss by the way I hate my job, I hate the company, I hate my commute and I'm looking for a new job"?

In my eyes there is no solution here, I have to move on.

Did you try and fix the problems? Did you sit their and stur in your seat without having a serious conversation with your boss? You won't need to do this at Raytheon as the process will prevent you from doing anything (You were hired to be a warm body). So I guess that will be OK.

Don't game it. They are enforceable in 49/50 states. Seen people chance it 4 or 5 times and be sued or forced to not cancel the accept of a job offer they gave. 3/5 times was with mid-level people so this isn't just restricted to more senior people.

It's speculated part of the reason Silicon Valley is so successful is that non-competes do not exist due to law.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What do you know, they removed it. They basically changed it to say that during the term of employment I won't work in a conflict of interest and that for a period of 1 year after employment I won't go after their contracts. That's reasonable.

Still looking. But at least I got my net back. 4 interviews with BAH alone today. Did another interview with GD which I am actually leaning towards, potential there to add on a whole other aspect of that job. First interview was HBSS, which is meh.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Did you try and fix the problems? Did you sit their and stur in your seat without having a serious conversation with your boss? You won't need to do this at Raytheon as the process will prevent you from doing anything (You were hired to be a warm body). So I guess that will be OK.

I dunno about you, but if I don't want to work somewhere trying to fix that places problems is the last thing I want to do. I'd way rather just smile, nod and keep a low profile until I can turn in that resignation letter.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's essentially it. I've already previously let him know my concerns. I'm doing a full teams job, I'm getting slammed from various groups, I'm getting blamed because the company has no qa. Stuff like my commute is something I don't bring up because I willingly signed up for it. The bigger toll for me was the lack of seeing my son.

There is effectively 0 my boss can do to fix this short term aside from hiring another 4 people.