What do you do?

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Go for it. Worst that happens is that you pull a Trex and find yourself working at an IHOP.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So I'm looking for well-rounded advice from my RR brethren.

Some of you know I have a Master's in History pursuing a PhD. However, my studies and life outside of school and work have led me down a different path from what I originally envisioned for myself, and I've found that I really would like to venture into medicine, mainly sports medicine. I'm 26, and everyone around me is telling me I'm not too old to pursue a medical degree if it's what I really want to do.

I understand some people find what they want to do in life when they're 10, 18, 25, etc. The main thing is that debt bill scares the living shit out of me. At the same time, this is a career that I not only am very much intrigued in, it's something I'm willing to put the time in and I understand what I'm getting myself into if I decide to go to medical school. I'd be 31 most likely by the time I got out with 2 years of residency meaning I wouldn't be making real money until I was about 33 years of age. The only thing holding me back is the debt, it has nothing to do with being uncommitted to studying or lacking a passion for the subject.

Am I insane for considering this?

TL;DR - 26 year old contemplating going to medical school to study sports medicine. Am I a fucking lunatic?

You are a fucking lunatic, but there's some things to think about.

Do you have the prereqs for medical school and to sit for the MCAT? You have to take a shit ton of science classes before you set foot in med school, and if you didn't while getting your History degrees, you'll have to go back to undergrad to take them. These are nontrivial: Minimum course requirements include one year each of biology, general (inorganic) chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and related lab work for each. In addition, about two-thirds require English and about one quarter require calculus.

You need to study for and take the MCAT. If you haven't done this, you probably need to allocate a year, because you'll have to study for the MCAT well in advance in order to score well enough to get into med school, and once you have your MCAT score in hand the application process is a bitch. Most schools require in person interviews, etc...

Next, residency is not 2 years. Even if you do family medicine as your residency (sports medicine is a fellowship not a residency) then you'll be 3 years in for the family medicine/internal medicine primary residency, then 1-2 year for the sports medicine fellowship.

So, all in all, you are not looking at "5 years". You're probably looking at (1-2 years prereqs/MCAT) + 1 year application/acceptance process + 4 years medical school + 3 years residency + 1-2 years fellowship.

Thats 10-12 years.

Yes sir, I think you're a lunatic, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It's just something you should think about very carefully before you embark.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Where do you work? Engineering Company

What do you do? (Title/keywords) Production Manager, CAD designer

What field/industry? Automotive Engineering

Wages? 85K AUD

Bonuses/SEP? Keys to the factory, I do a lot of outside work on the side... $30K ish a year and most of it is cash jobs.
Travel, RDO every 2 weeks, Only answer to the Boss and I do what I want most of the time as long as work gets done.

Benefits? Time in lieu at overtime rates, ie if I work an hour overtime I get 2 hours off
6 weeks annual leave per year.. other stuff

How long have you been there? 15 years

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You are a fucking lunatic, but there's some things to think about.

Do you have the prereqs for medical school and to sit for the MCAT? You have to take a shit ton of science classes before you set foot in med school, and if you didn't while getting your History degrees, you'll have to go back to undergrad to take them. These are nontrivial: Minimum course requirements include one year each of biology, general (inorganic) chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and related lab work for each. In addition, about two-thirds require English and about one quarter require calculus.
The minimum requirements for med-school, curriculum wise do not constitute a shit ton of science. It is gen bio, which is bio for retards. gen chem, again chem for retards. Orgo can be difficult, but really it isn't bad, higher level inorganic chems are much more difficult. Physics, see basic bio and chem comments. Calc, not the business school retard calc, but if you did AP calc in high school it should count. As for the labs, really the only one you should have to take independent of the actual classes is orgo lab. All other classes have labs built in. they aren't hard.

Edit - MCAT is not hard. It is a standardized test. You can teach yourself to the test in a few months. I got a 31 without really preparing at all.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The minimum requirements for med-school, curriculum wise do not constitute a shit ton of science. It is gen bio, which is bio for retards. gen chem, again chem for retards. Orgo can be difficult, but really it isn't bad, higher level inorganic chems are much more difficult. Physics, see basic bio and chem comments. Calc, not the business school retard calc, but if you did AP calc in high school it should count. As for the labs, really the only one you should have to take independent of the actual classes is orgo lab. All other classes have labs built in. they aren't hard.

Edit - MCAT is not hard. It is a standardized test. You can teach yourself to the test in a few months. I got a 31 without really preparing at all.

It's a fuckton of science if you were a history major and never took any science and now you have to go back to school before you can even apply to medical school.

And MCAT is at least partially a knowledge test, knowledge which he won't have without a science education.

Vinen

God is dead
It's a fuckton of science if you were a history major and never took any science and now you have to go back to school before you can even apply to medical school.

And MCAT is at least partially a knowledge test, knowledge which he won't have without a science education.

I just read his comments as

I'm going to go fly a 787 tomorrow. I haven't even learned how to ride a bike.

trex

Queen Bee
I don't think you're crazy, it's never too late to get a career is something you truly love. We need to know your undergrad education though to give you more advice, as a few people have mentioned. Btw, you shouldn't be worried about debt if you're other option is a PhD in history. What do you get paid for that? How much debt are you already in?

To piggy back, the MCAT is a joke IF you've taken all the classes. And not like, oh I took O Chem 4 years ago, it's like I took O Chem and I truly understand the concepts and criteria.

If you're wicked smart and haven't taken any of the classes, you could pound out the bare minimums in 2 years, but I wouldn't recommend that. We have trimesters here but Gen Chem, Priciples of Bio, Calc stream (btw AP calc in high school does not count. I had AP calc A & B in high school and had to take Calc 2 twice because I didn't get it.) so you could take those the first year and no life it. Then summer you could pump out the year of A&P classes and the following year O Chem, Physics using calc (or at least I was advised to take that route) and genetics one term/evolution the next. If you're only doing the basics you better get damn good grades in them. I think it's great you have the history background, if you can do really well in both, you're obviously very smart. Don't look at it as a race though. You're not far behind. If someone was on the 4 year college plan (jerks) and started med school the following fall (assholes), they would have just gotten out of med school at 26 (jealous). I think average entering age is 25.

Also do not listen to people when they say oh, so and so class is easy. First, they're lying. Second even if physics isn't "that hard" for you and you go around telling everyone that, you're probably not mentioning that you could not get the anatomy (or whatever class you are struggling) processes in your head. You can hear people say ochem is shit, get yourself all worked up, but you might just get it. Or you might not get it and realize what all the hype is about.

The getting into a school is the hard part. When you apply you should apply to at least 5 or 6, hope to get 2 interviews and one acceptance. Have you thought about Physicians Assisting? Much less intense. Some people get super overwhelmed or sidetracked, never finish and end up having an existential crisis (hello!).

Study for the MCAT as you go. Makes much more sense tying the sciences together and realizing what you seriously need to not fucking forget. Even though you wouldn't be practicing on your own, you could be doing what you love by the time you're 32. Not a lot of people can say that. Plus you have to love school, I'm guessing that's no problem for you lol. PhD in history?! Smh. Go med. They're always needed.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
IAlso do not listen to people when they say oh, so and so class is easy. First, they're lying. Second even if physics isn't "that hard" for you and you go around telling everyone that, you're probably not mentioning that you could not get the anatomy (or whatever class you are struggling) processes in your head. You can hear people say ochem is shit, get yourself all worked up, but you might just get it. Or you might not get it and realize what all the hype is about.
Swamp donkey, Protein physics is hard. Physics 140whatthefuckever is easy shit for brains.

Last edited:

trex

Queen Bee
Protein physics is hard. Physics 140whatthefuckever is easy shit for brains.

I can get on board with that statement. This was 211-213. That reminds me though, he's definitely going to have to take cell bio and molecular bio. I felt like I was missing something.

Last edited:

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I can get on board that statement. This was 211-213. That reminds me though, he's definitely going to have to take cell bio and molecular bio. I felt like I was missing something.
Also, you are wrong about AP. Fucking Johns Hopkins Med School accepts AP credits for Bio, Chem, Clac and Physics. You require no bio except basic bio, 2 semesters. Though you do need biochem.

Swamp donkey he doesn't need physiology and anatomy for med school admission. I know because 1 of my undergrad majors was neurobiolgy and physiology. No pre-meds were that major so their GPAs weren't affected by difficult classes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

trex

Queen Bee
Also, you are wrong about AP. Fucking Johns Hopkins Med School accepts AP credits for Bio, Chem, Clac and Physics. You require no bio except basic bio, 2 semesters. Though you do need biochem.

I do not agree with that statement. Maybe if you took AP Calc, Physics (that wasn't even offered at my highschool) Bio & Chem and so you started college at the 300level classes and continued with upper level courses in those same fields. AP calc translates to Calc 1. I took Calc 1-4 as was recommended. AP bio didn't have any ecology, mammalian physiology or zoology in it as the 3rd term of principles. In fact all of the courses I mentioned are 200level or higher. We would have needed the class prof to let us into the class for anything higher than the 201s/211s. AP courses only automatically gave us credit for the 100lvl classes (with a 4 or 5 on AP test). Translation: you do not have to take intro to bio 1,2, and 3, which is for idiots and social science majors who need a "science class" anyway.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I do not agree with that statement. Maybe if you took AP Calc, Physics (that wasn't even offered at my highschool) Bio & Chem and so you started college at the 300level classes and continued with upper level courses in those same fields. AP calc translates to Calc 1. I took Calc 1-4 as was recommended. AP bio didn't have any ecology, mammalian physiology or zoology in it as the 3rd term of principles. In fact all of the courses I mentioned are 200level or higher. We would have needed the class prof to let us into the class for anything higher than the 201s/211s. AP courses only automatically gave us credit for the 100lvl classes (with a 4 or 5 on AP test). Translation: you do not have to take intro to bio 1,2, and 3, which is for idiots and social science majors who need a "science class" anyway.
Swampdonkey, no. You seem to not grasp that different schools have different class numbers. Again, the bio required for med school is the basic ones, not the hurr durr elective level on. Again Johns Hopkins on their fucking Medical School admission page says AP credits count. Literally one of the best medical schools in the world.

Last edited:

trex

Queen Bee
You may be right. I do believe that schools have the same 100/200/300/400 level classes. 100= freshman 200= sophomore, etc. Anything below 100 is a high school class. So, if someone tell you they are in math 91, 95, 96 ninetywhatever class they are in a high school senior level class.

Again, you might be right, but I am under the impression that med schools do not accept 100lvl physics, bio, math (even Calc is considered a 200lvl/aka sophomore class), Chem classes and nothing else because if you entered med school with a rando degree and your high school AP classes you would fucking drown. I also don't believe that you could pass the MCAT with only that knowledge. I don't even think you could pass OCHEM as a freshman with just AP Chem unless you're a hella genius. Also, do they even have the associated labs in the AP classes?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You may be right. I do believe that schools have the same 100/200/300/400 level classes. 100= freshman 200= sophomore, etc. Anything below 100 is a high school class. So, if someone tell you they are in math 91, 95, 96 ninetywhatever class they are in a high school senior level class.

Again, you might be right, but I am under the impression that med schools do not accept 100lvl physics, bio, math (even Calc is considered a 200lvl/aka sophomore class), Chem classes and nothing else because if you entered med school with a rando degree and your high school AP classes you would fucking drown. I also don't believe that you could pass the MCAT with only that knowledge. I don't even think you could pass OCHEM as a freshman with just AP Chem unless you're a hella genius. Also, do they even have the associated labs in the AP classes?
Swamp donkey, no. Most places, or at least half-way decent places will offer several 100 level classes. Bio 101 is essentially one of the science elective options for non-science majors, while bio 141 is the basic bio for majors in biology or related to bio, and so on. They are still freshman classes. All the med school requirements are these classes with the exception of biochem and organics chem, those are typically 200 for the intro courses that count. AP classes are these classes too.

Last edited:

trex

Queen Bee
Requirements for Admission

I stand corrected. Sorry bout the rant. I still think you have to be an incredible applicant if the "requirements" are all you got. Even more so if you don't have the "recommend" courses. Like why even bother? That could just be my own anxieties. I guess I just always thought it was more about preparing to be successful in med school. I've always been the kind of person that needs to study and work hard for As. I would not feel comfortable entering med school with AP courses.

Edit- what's with MCAT scores being 3 digits now?

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
Where do you work? Marketing Agency

What do you do? (Title/keywords) Affiliate Manager

What field/industry? Affiliate Marketing

Wages? North of 90k

Bonuses/SEP? Profit Sharing

Benefits? Health/Dental/Vision

How long have you been there? 10+ years

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Where do you work?

Automotive Dealership

What do you do? (Title/keywords)

Sales Consultant and Lot Manager

What field/industry? Sales

Wages? 60k. 2-3 years time, I am hoping to boost it upto $90k.

Bonuses/SEP? Performance volume bonus up to $1000 per month. Mostly Gross Bonus of $500 per month.

Benefits? Health/Dental/Vision

How long have you been there? 6 month

I am trying to negotiate a base salary of $2000 and stick to 20% commission per car instead of 25%. This place runs like an unprofessional jungle.....huge turnover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Places with huge turnover rate almost never give you a better base salary (unless they are really bleeding workforce and then they might just throw another Franklin at you).
If they would more people would put up with the shit going on an not leave for greener pastures.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Go for it. Worst that happens is that you pull a Trex and find yourself working at an IHOP.

I do like waffles.

Might still be young enough to go the military route, they'd probably want you till your late 30s but you'll be out debt free and with savings in the bank.

I'm assuming you mean enter the military and serve as a doctor for however many years? I suppose that's always an option to explore, but I think right now is a pretty shitty time to do that given the world is going to shit lol.