Whiskey

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have some Defiant rye, it's ok but not my preference, probably the best rye I've had though. I mostly do bourbons, Filibuster's and Woodford Reserve hanging out now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Has anyone had this? I prefer Rye whiskey. Some list I just read gave it the 2016 Rye Whiskey of the year.

View attachment 123730

It's good, and it's nice to see "rye" that is actually rye, rather than the blended swill that is normally passed as rye; Normal Crown Royal being a prime example. If you enjoy rye whisky I'd say it's worth picking up a bottle. That is unless you happen to live in Canada, in which case I would say pick up a bottle of Alberta Premium at less than half the cost. Northern Harvest is noticeably smoother and lacks the peppery bite that is typical of an all rye whisky like Alberta Premium, but I find the stronger punch of the AP more interesting.

Plus it comes in a sweet unassuming bottle from the 1980's.
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpe

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Tolan Tolan

So I've done my wild turkey / evan willams comparison. They're just about the exact same actually with the wild turkey having slightly less oak with slightly more punch. Sugar levels are on par. The thing with the wild turkey is it comes in 101 or 83 proof (ew is 83), but the place I went didn't have a pint in 83 and the clerk dude said that was because the 101 was the default purchase for wild turkey drinkers. All in all though, pretty much the same with the only differences being due to the alcohol levels. I'll see if I can find a pint of 83 in the future, I gotta imagine they'd really be the same at that point.

This puts evan williams ahead in my book since it's cheaper.

Try em both out and let me know from your end, I was a long time tobacco user so some of my taste buds are probably blown out.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Tolan Tolan

So I've done my wild turkey / evan willams comparison. They're just about the exact same actually with the wild turkey having slightly less oak with slightly more punch. Sugar levels are on par. The thing with the wild turkey is it comes in 101 or 83 proof (ew is 83), but the place I went didn't have a pint in 83 and the clerk dude said that was because the 101 was the default purchase for wild turkey drinkers. All in all though, pretty much the same with the only differences being due to the alcohol levels. I'll see if I can find a pint of 83 in the future, I gotta imagine they'd really be the same at that point.

Try em both out and let me know from your end, I was a long time tobacco user so some of my taste buds are probably blown out.
Just matched you. Had a shot of both after erasing the palette with 2 bud lights.

IMG_3973.JPG

I drank the Evan Williams first. I found the EW to be very smooth up front. The aftertaste hit the back of my tongue/mouth like a 3-second duration case of strep-throat. Same with the WT 101, but I found the WT to have more oak/wood flavor. I'm just not a shot drinker. Back in the day, I'd sip a Dewars and water on ice and be pretty happy with that. Plenty of woody flavor in that diluted drink, too, for me anyway.

I was hoping the EW had more flavor, because I like the combination of cheap and low alcohol. I actually have no idea what each shot cost though. I'll find out.

In any case, I am decidedly more buzzed and Sir Duke is tearing up the juke box. No regrets.

I should also say the WT looked cleaner (less light diffusion) and a bit lighter in color.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Just matched you. Had a shot of both after erasing the palette with 2 bud lights.

View attachment 124383

I drank the Evan Williams first. I found the EW to be very smooth up front. The aftertaste hit the back of my tongue/mouth like a 3-second duration case of strep-throat. Same with the WT 101, but I found the WT to have more oak/wood flavor. I'm just not a shot drinker. Back in the day, I'd sip a Dewars and water on ice and be pretty happy with that. Plenty of woody flavor in that diluted drink, too, for me anyway.

I was hoping the EW had more flavor, because I like the combination of cheap and low alcohol. I actually have no idea what each shot cost though. I'll find out.

In any case, I am decidedly more buzzed and Sir Duke is tearing up the juke box. No regrets.

I should also say the WT looked cleaner (less light diffusion) and a bit lighter in color.

I don't think i've ever in my life taken a shot of bourbon, maybe not tonight but next time try sipping. The flavors are in getting a small amount of that evaporating liquid in your mouth hole and letting it do it's thing while it evaporates.

I'd be real curious to hear the price. My pint of ew was 8 bucks wt was I think 13 bucks, but this was at a small town local place, and the pints cost like a dollar less than the fifths here but I can't buy fifths cause I get myself into trouble.

• 1Like

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
I don't think i've ever in my life taken a shot of bourbon, maybe not tonight but next time try sipping. The flavors are in getting a small amount of that evaporating liquid in your mouth hole and letting it do it's thing while it evaporates.

I'd be real curious to hear the price. My pint of ew was 8 bucks wt was I think 13 bucks, but this was at a small town local place, and the pints cost like a dollar less than the fifths here but I can't buy fifths cause I get myself into trouble.
Just paid the bill. She gave me the shots for free, refused to tell me the price. Had 4 beers, 2 shots, and a basket of fries for $15. She, of course, got a $10 tip.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Just paid the bill. She gave me the shots for free, refused to tell me the price. Had 4 beers, 2 shots, and a basket of fries for $15. She, of course, got a $10 tip.

Sounds like she wants more than a $10 tip broseph.

• 1Like

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Sounds like she wants more than a $10 tip broseph.
She's pretty adorable too, but I wouldn't ruin a good thing even if she was interested. She and her husband own the bar. They just know I'm a cool dude.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Tolan Tolan

I liked both back when I drank long ago. Wild Turkey is what I used to take with me to the SCA events. I even had a leather flask for it. Oddly enough I used to mix it with Dr. Pepper and drink it WARM. Granted I was in my 20s back then and when surrounded by people who hadn't bathed in days wearing full armors/dark ages garb anything was better than some of the shit they were mixing in coolers but still.
Evan Williams I just drink straight. In fact the only alcohol I own currently is a bottle of Crown Royal and a bottle of Evan Williams Honey Reserve. Been sitting on my desk for about 3 years now half full.
Hard to imagine there was a time when I drank a fifth a day. Usually tequila.
Not sure cost, I know I paid $18 for my EWHR in 2013 and I remember a bottle of Wild Turkey used to run $15 in 1993.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm so happy! After years and years of searching, I finally found a whisky that I actually enjoyed drinking. I'm not sure why I enjoy it more than any other that I've tried. It didn't seem to have as much of a burning sensation, or maybe it was on the sweeter side. Whatever the reason, I'm glad to finally have something to sip with all my classy friends.

scpob.non1.jpg

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I tried some High West bourbon this weekend. It's pretty good, up there for sure.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I got a chance to drink Booker's Rye. I had a 'coming to jesus' moment that I ended up polishing off half the bottle (which was not mine and that I was not "paying for" somewhere)... I swiftly put $200 in my friend's pocket and said sorry. I felt pretty fucking guilty as it is very limited.

Last edited:
  • 1Like