Wii U

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Nintendo Wii U upcoming releases: Yikes | BGR

I almost picked up a Wii U the other day but I think I'm going to hold off a bit. I owned a WII but never played the damn thing so got rid of it after a year or so of it collecting dust. The Wii U would likely do the same.

Makes me a little sad. I grew up with Nintendo being the dominate force in the gaming world. Sad to see them taking a distant third approach to their system and I realize they have difficulties competing in the high end market now. They have no one to blame but themselves for that though.
I think the article somewhat misses the point. The whole reason of owning a Wii U is because you have a backup plan for everything that isn't Nintendo first party. Every game listed on the multi plat I'd prefer to play on PC instead of under powered hardware. It isn't shocking the article doesn't even mention Sony and MS first party since, for the most part, no one cares.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the article somewhat misses the point. The whole reason of owning a Wii U is because you have a backup plan for everything that isn't Nintendo first party. Every game listed on the multi plat I'd prefer to play on PC instead of under powered hardware. It isn't shocking the article doesn't even mention Sony and MS first party since, for the most part, no one cares.
You are missing the point of the article. With absolutely nothing coming out in the foreseeable future, when will the Wii U actually sell? Now that MK8 is out, there are zero system sellers currently calendared. Nintendo is hemorrhaging money (lost $394 million in 2013 and has lost money three years in a row) and the only savior in sight does not have a release date.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As somebody who likes their products, you should care about the health of the company because that company might stop making those products.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
7/20 - 7/26 bestbuy is gonna sell wii u pro controllers for $30 and motion+ for $40 with $10 gift card back, target will also be having some good wii u deals

SLgwHut.jpg
So went to get the pro controller today from best buy and the fuckers are sold out.....everywhere within 100 miles of me.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Could say the same thing about either the Xbone or the PS4 and have a lot more games to choose from. Guess that is why the U's sales are in the toilet.

Maybe Nintendo being forced out of the console business and into just making games for other platforms is the better answer.
No, Nintendo having to leave the console business would be worse for everyone. Then you'd only have 2 samey consoles to choose from and no one actually innovating or trying new things for MS and Sony to copy.

It also wouldn't mean Nintendo games would start showing up on the other consoles either - most likely outcome in that scenario is Nintendo unifies it's handheld and console devices as hardware get's smaller and smaller. They are already unifying their OS for the next device releases.

Rather Nintendo leaving consoles, it's more likely that Microsoft stops Xbox development or spins it off into it's own company - especially with the new Microsoft CEO taking over and getting rid of under-performing divisions. He wants to focus the business in on Mobile and Cloud services. Sony isn't doing too hot either, being pretty close to bankruptcy for a couple years now.

You are missing the point of the article. With absolutely nothing coming out in the foreseeable future, when will the Wii U actually sell? Now that MK8 is out, there are zero system sellers currently calendared. Nintendo is hemorrhaging money (lost $394 million in 2013 and has lost money three years in a row) and the only savior in sight does not have a release date.
Bayonetta 2 is a system seller. There's also no way that Smash Bros. isn't released before Christmas. Regardless, the reason people would buy a Wii U is for the already 7-8 great first party games (neither PS4 or Xbox can claim that many good games, much less exclusives) and the E3 announced 2015 Lineup (most the good PS4/Xbox games are slated for 2015 as well).

Also, the majority of that money lost in 2013 was from buying back tons of stock from a higher Nintendo exec retiring and R&D. Nintendo has enough money in the bank to have 5 consoles in a row with Wii U-esque sales.

It's still bad - Nintendo (and the whole console industry) lost a lot of their Wii audience to mobile/tablet gaming, and those people will never come back. Nintendo needs to re-evaluate their expectations for this generation and the next, no one is going to sell 100 million consoles in one generation again. With a strong 2014 end (Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros.) and a good 2015 they can easily be on track to reach Gamecube level sales.

spronk

FPS noob
ive already played my wii u way more than my wii, ps4, and vita combined. wii I played zelda on and then never turned on again

i think your age comes into a big factor too, i'm getting too old to really enjoy stuff like destiny PVP or DOTA2 but i can sit and run MK8 for an hour or two and have the best time in the world, thats all i need to get that gamer high I remember as a kid. also helped of course that I basically got 3 first party AAA games free with it

koljec_sl

shitlord
As somebody who likes their products, you should care about the health of the company because that company might stop making those products.
I would be sad to see Nintendo's demise, but honestly the disappearance of Scott brand toilet paper would disrupt my life more.

I am not obligated to care about the health of companies.

i think your age comes into a big factor too, i'm getting too old to really enjoy stuff like destiny PVP or DOTA2 but i can sit and run MK8 for an hour or two and have the best time in the world, thats all i need to get that gamer high I remember as a kid
Yep. Had an old friend over a couple weekends ago. We played Tekken, then MK8, then took turns on punchout on the virtual console. He was all excited 'cause he remembered that select between rounds gave little mac a health boost. It was like old times.

Whatwhat_sl

shitlord
So I'm making the plunge and buying a Wii U. What is the best way to go about getting the cheapest price for games? I'm so use to getting 50 games for 10 bucks from steam, that the 40-60 dollar price tag for console games is bugging me. I'm also ok not buying games at launch. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I'm making the plunge and buying a Wii U. What is the best way to go about getting the cheapest price for games? I'm so use to getting 50 games for 10 bucks from steam, that the 40-60 dollar price tag for console games is bugging me. I'm also ok not buying games at launch. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Target deal for MK8. Price match to Amazon. Do a $1 pre-order, you get $15 off MK8. So about $35.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Kmart has a good deal going on for preorders, 2 games for $104 plus $41 back in reward points.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
So went to get the pro controller today from best buy and the fuckers are sold out.....everywhere within 100 miles of me.
I've been meaning to buy a controller and nunchuk. I just went to their online site and am having them deliver it to me. Same price online.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Wii U will be here on Wednesday. Get to dig into some MK8. Is Mario 3D World worth a purchase?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My Wii U will be here on Wednesday. Get to dig into some MK8. Is Mario 3D World worth a purchase?
Personally I'm finding 3D world lacking. I was hoping for a Mario64 vibe from it but it plays more like a 3D platforming Mario with the added hassle of having to find stars. The stages are generally short and linear unlike many stages in 64.