Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think the problem with Wildstar is that while it manages to tick quite a few boxes it does not really excel in any area (so far). I mean, combat is ok, but in my opinion not as good as for example TERA. Graphics are ok but not nearly the best in the genre. Quests are uninspired. Classes are not so awesome. So the question is, what will make the game stand out? What would make new MMO players chose this game? What would make veteran MMO players feel that it brings something new to the table?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The classes are boring because we have seen it all before, I see nothing so far that will keep me playing and the fact end game is not playable by the community is not a good sign.

The classes are boring because we have seen it all before, I see nothing so far that will keep me playing and the fact end game is not playable by the community is not a good sign.
I posted this in the ESO thread, but I'll post it here too. The next big patch in February unlocks 1-50, warplots and raid testing. My guess is that it's the miracle patch before a release is announced for May.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The fact that everything will be unlocked for beta is not a good sign.
How is this bad? I'd be shocked if they do the raiding part, but I wouldn't mind it, its good to let the players run through a lot of stuff before you release it(find all the bugs, glitches, exploits etc).

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I posted this in the ESO thread, but I'll post it here too. The next big patch in February unlocks 1-50, warplots and raid testing. My guess is that it's the miracle patch before a release is announced for May.
I stand corrected, will reserve judgement but from what I have seen ALL the good shit has to be endgame because it got boring far faster than it should have.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How is this bad? I'd be shocked if they do the raiding part, but I wouldn't mind it, its good to let the players run through a lot of stuff before you release it(find all the bugs, glitches, exploits etc).
Basically it's putting beta as the start of a content patch that will go through it's life cycle up until release, at which point there is no new additions but simply a forced level and gear reset on a game that has already been categorized and databased to death en masse. 99% of the people playing beta won't be there to "test" anything, they will already be using up their 1-3 month new-ness quota during the beta and the poopsockers will already be burning themselves out.

Releasing everything means that on Day 1 the wait for the next content patch has already begun. It would be worse than TOR and not even a FFXIV where they don't even toss a lower tier bone in between. Their game would be a flop in record time because they transitioned the prime initial burst to before boxes even went on sale.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The amount of people in beta is very small % of future buyers of the game.

You'd rather just have the raids, warplots and 36-50 content non tested by the player base just so the few thousand or so in beta don't burn out on it early?

Malakriss

You're acting like there isn't going to be 1-2 months of open beta before early access/retail.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think there will be. You might get a week of OB but you can easily cap the exp in OB, since its really supposed to be a stress test/trial and they have been running stress tests since last fall. CB has nothing to do with a OB and sometimes even runs at the same time.

What game has had 1-2 months of OB?

Malakriss

How about the game that posts it straight to twitter.

Twitter / Team_WildStar: @Just_Apolo Winter Beta is ...
@Just_Apolo Winter Beta is still closed beta.
smile.png
You should expect open beta around a month before we launch!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So "Around a month before we launch", which usually includes a week or so between OB and EA/launch, = 1-2 months of OB , which can easily have a level cap because its not CB(which most games do this) and not even on the same server.

Again how is having all the content tested in CB a bad thing?

I'd rather have everything working as much as possible @ launch then worry about some CB testers that might of burned themselves out already.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Releasing everything means that on Day 1 the wait for the next content patch has already begun. It would be worse than TOR and not even a FFXIV where they don't even toss a lower tier bone in between. Their game would be a flop in record time because they transitioned the prime initial burst to before boxes even went on sale.
Disagree. They've already stated that the process of getting into raids is going to require a significant time investment. There's going to be some type of flagging/key quest/what have you that will require you to have done the majority of the elder game content before being able to access the raids (and the same is likely true for warplots).

They've also been adamant that their raids will change week to week, requiring players to change up how to defeat an encounter. That is going to require significant testing from a whole lot of people to avoid game breaking bugs and the only way to really do that is allowing the masses to access it.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
im not waiting so much on a miracle patch, i just want to see their reaction to the opinions on their first iteration of the amp system.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They announced monthly content updates post-launch a while ago didnt they?

GW2 pretty much proved that you can push out a medicore update every two weeks, and that's without any actual endgame to keep people engaged. If Wildstar's post-launch approach works out and they stay on schedule with monthly, I can see alot of the folks that like the game sticking around. Look at WoW and how tons of people sub for a month to check out the new content patch every 8ish (no idea really, how often do they patch?) months. Now assume Wildstar really adds content monthly - if you care enough to check it out, you're a continuing subscriber.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As much as I want to believe the whole "monthly content" thing, I will have to wait until I see it.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Without GW2 doing even more then that I wouldnt believe it all because my other point of comparison for update speed would have been WoW. Now I just think that folding money hats takes up alot of the dev time for Blizz.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Without GW2 doing even more then that I wouldnt believe it all because my other point of comparison for update speed would have been WoW. Now I just think that folding money hats takes up alot of the dev time for Blizz.
Clearly montly updates are possible as GW2 has shown. Frankly though I would be fine even if they did the update every few months with an expansion cycle like eq1 or eq2. If you can splonk out big expansions every 8-9 months the boredom factor should not be a problem. Wows problem is slow updates followed by taking 2-3 years or more between expansions eventually you have been there and done that and there are simply to many other options these days for that to be a workable model for new games.