Willow

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kids know whether they're into same sex or opposite sex by the time they're 5. You want them to pretend homosexuality doesn't exist because.... reasons? Take your tampon out, Francis and get over yourself.
You're objectively mentally-ill.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

Latest episode was sort of a memberberries ordeal - cursed castle kept giving them visions of the original movie. Princess continues to be a snarky unlikable character, although at least one character kind of called her out on it by saying her grandmother would have been proud (Bavmodra). Boorman continues to be the only interesting character. Elora maybe as #2, although they’re sort of using her as an audience surrogate to a degree

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm episode 3-4, Princess is such a shitty person. Show is aware of it too. There's a scene where a character is doing something and she comes in sits next to them and loudly sighs; they were like gtfo .

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Got up to speed with Willow and I am a bit non-plussed. I am not clear who this series is made for. If it were old curmudgeon's like me it would be more gritty, darker, centered around call backs. This version seems to be made for teenagers who were born decades after the movie with a sprinkle of the original.

There is too much modern humor / timing and has the 'clean' fantasy aesthetic which I have never been fond of. I do appreciate the show being a bit tongue in cheek (Boorman showering :p), but I was hoping for it being somewhat more serious. It ruins my immersion when teenage girls are fighting grown men / soldiers and holding their own, when Meegosh-lite says "I'll cut you', or the bone reavers start having a rave ala The Matrix 2.

I also think I am holding Val Kilmer's absence against the show, which isn't their fault. It is really suffering without Mads so far. Boorman is about the only character that is serviceable for me. Goatee young Willow is also tough to take seriously.

Regardless, I will finish this out because my childhood holds me captive. It isn't exactly hate watching, more hope watching. Things like Willow finally being a G were great because that is what I always wanted for him. There is also still some time for Mads to show up in some form. Only time will tell!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Got up to speed with Willow and I am a bit non-plussed. I am not clear who this series is made for. If it were old curmudgeon's like me it would be more gritty, darker, centered around call backs. This version seems to be made for teenagers who were born decades after the movie with a sprinkle of the original.
If I'm being charitable, it's for advertising reasons. Gives a bit of status to what would otherwise be a random new IP and journalists/old people can talk about how amazing the original was (and therefore this).

Otherwise it's an intentional demolition of every IP to have a woke modern version that's the "real" version of the IP.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Kids know whether they're into same sex or opposite sex by the time they're 5. You want them to pretend homosexuality doesn't exist because.... reasons? Take your tampon out, Francis and get over yourself.

groomer

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Regardless, I will finish this out because my childhood holds me captive. It isn't exactly hate watching, more hope watching. Things like Willow finally being a G were great because that is what I always wanted for him. There is also still some time for Mads to show up in some form. Only time will tell!

I'm in the same boat. I want to see where it goes, but the show is clearly geared towards a younger audience. Which makes sense - think about the ages we all were when we watched the original movie. I probably watched it like 20+ times on HBO as a kid. Objectively, the original movie was pretty corny. If you go back and watch it now, the dialogue is pretty bad and it's pretty clear they're rushing the story just to get to the next action scene. But it was fun.

I will say the show has done a pretty good job of dropping little breadcrumbs from the original movie (no doubt to keep older fans interested, or at the very least, somewhat connected). Like in the most recent episode, one of the Brownies makes a cameo appearance and they name dropped General Kael some more. Last episode had Nockmar and General Kael/Bavmorda stuff. Seems like the upcoming episode will have some troll stuff.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Perhaps that is it, the most charitable view, it is written for curmudgeons with children as a bonding experience. If I had kids that I could be like 'See, this is my jam.' but still be interesting enough for them.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My kid and I bond watching MeatEater because it's not full of bullshit and drama club aspies

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
My wife thinks I see the agenda everywhere. Even she fucking rolled her eyes back into her head when they did the big lesbo drop with the red haired jogger played by the actress from Cpt America and the Social Justice Warrior series. That actress is pretty outspoken about hating white males, incidentally. She clearly was not selected for her acting ability. I know this is bad because my wife gave up on it after one episode and she soldiered through an entire season of Another Life.

It is everywhere

Cybsled

Wait, last Friday was the finale?

edit: nm, forgot these drop mid-week

Last edited:

Cybsled

Finale was decent. I liked the brief shot of that 2 headed dragon monster from the first film.

There was sort of an evil dead element to parts of it, or at the least, you can bet they were inspired by that

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

• 7Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 11 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Kevin Dillon Win GIF

• 3Like
  • 1Worf