Windows 11

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xerge

<Donor>
Good lord. I run multi monitors like most and on my main monitor I keep the taskbar on my left side vertically, as i'm a lefty. Honestly i'd settle for being able to swap the clock/tray to the left side even as that's where my eyes are looking for things. So far Display Fusion is functioning on the other monitors at least.

edit: derp moment

Oldbased

> Than U
Now on W11. Not seeing much difference in anything other than the UI for things/taskbar and even then it appears mostly cosmetic. Sure there is some stuff I'll find along the way changed. Only additional thing I had to remove was a LAN setup from MSI I wasn't using anyways in the Dragon console. Things do seem a bit more snappy.
Take that back. I had like 2 issues I could never fix on Windows 10.
One of those was my Your Phone app I could text from PC, see photos, notifications but not make calls from PC through my phone or see contacts. I spent probably 20 hours trying to fix it( wouldn't pair for calls ) over the past few months. Worked with a single click in W11. Yachtzee
Even allows all 3 of my mics work for calling. I like it already until I don't.

Take that back. Fixed my pc sync with my Fitbit Sense too.
So far better.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Store improvements, some pretty good ones.

Still a lot to be done to help weed out the stupid / fake shit.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This was a pretty painless upgrade a couple of days ago. But I had disabled all the telemetry stuff, had to figure out how to enable it, and then since the i7-7700k isn't "supported" had to join the BETA channel and not release. Anyways, went smooth. Honestly other than it looking more bubble-y I see no difference. That's probably the best compliment I could give a Windows upgrade. Still no concept as to why anyone things it is a good idea to make everything so rounded and look like a stupid mobile interface.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Everything about the UI elements in 11 from the taskbar to the right click menus feels like about 50 steps backwards. What the fuck were they thinking.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Everything about the UI elements in 11 from the taskbar to the right click menus feels like about 50 steps backwards. What the fuck were they thinking.

That right click menu can fuck right off, goddam that shits annoying.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Upgraded after building a new PC. It's...not bad. No complaints thus far, except for the extra steps needed to change sound devices.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They keep trying to break into the MacFag market and it never works. Is there a classic UI option in W11 or are you stuck with UI Aids?

Also as a support tech, fuck them randomly hiding or deprecating shit I use day to day for troubleshooting. I still fucking rage that they burred advanced System Properties in an odd spot with the 21H1 build of W10. This shit I am seeing for the W11 UI is rage inducing. If I wanted a Mac, I would buy a fucking Mac.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They keep trying to break into the MacFag market and it never works. Is there a classic UI option in W11 or are you stuck with UI Aids?

Also as a support tech, fuck them randomly hiding or deprecating shit I use day to day for troubleshooting. I still fucking rage that they burred advanced System Properties in an odd spot with the 21H1 build of W10. This shit I am seeing for the W11 UI is rage inducing. If I wanted a Mac, I would buy a fucking Mac.
They've been doing this shit since Win 8, only to have to walk it back later.

Tidalwave

Trakanon Raider

I have yet to tinker with Windows 11. Did they take the ability to type systempropertiesadvanced in the RUN line away?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have yet to tinker with Windows 11. Did they take the ability to type systempropertiesadvanced in the RUN line away?

Just checked it still worked:

1634315686623.png

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It's weird, under windows update I get "Great news—your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 11. Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you." but I was tired of waiting(sounds like past the new year at this point) So I made a USB stick to do it but after I enter my pro key it tells me my comp isn't good enough.

EDIT PC Health app also says my comp is fine

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
I wanted to install Windows on a new drive - just bought a nice m.2 drive with the intention of it becoming my boot drive going forward. I went to install Win11 and never got the opportunity to choose which drive it installed to. It just decided to overwrite the old C drive regardless. I'm pretty sure I've seen videos where people get to decide on the drive but I never got that option. Any ideas?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I wanted to install Windows on a new drive - just bought a nice m.2 drive with the intention of it becoming my boot drive going forward. I went to install Win11 and never got the opportunity to choose which drive it installed to. It just decided to overwrite the old C drive regardless. I'm pretty sure I've seen videos where people get to decide on the drive but I never got that option. Any ideas?
You might have to rearrange your boot drives in bios. It might think your drive is the main one.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I ended up being able to do a fresh install with some regedit fuckery. Seems pretty cool so far minus the fucking start menu, just fucking awful. Holding out hope they will change that crap sooner than later, maybe try start11 but really don't want to pay for something that should be a built in option to begin with.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I ended up being able to do a fresh install with some regedit fuckery. Seems pretty cool so far minus the fucking start menu, just fucking awful. Holding out hope they will change that crap sooner than later, maybe try start11 but really don't want to pay for something that should be a built in option to begin with.
They went fuckin' retarded with menus and such in Win 8 too for a while before having to fix it in 8.1.

Argarth

On the verandah
^^ Yeah, and even though I dual boot with 10 / 11 for testing purposes, won't be touching 11 as a daily driver until they at LEAST return (fully functional) left/right side taskbar placement.

The main entry on the MS feedback hub for this issue continues to grow, and complete silence since their only "response" 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, Start 11 doesn't fix this. I've asked on their forums, a mod replied with "no update from the dev team" as yet.

1636418981017.png

Last edited: