Winter 2013 Anime Thread

Blide_sl

shitlord
Have to say that was a pretty nice twist in Psycho Pass. Figured the Sybil system was a farce but definitely not in the way that it turned out to be.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
After watching that Captain Harlock preview I can honestly say that company needs to make a 40k movie. In that trailer I see Necrons (green eyed robot), Eldar (elf chick), a rogue Inquisitor (The Captain), and the Tau (Advanced spaceships and white troops).

All your missing are the marines.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I highly recommend everyone grab the newest MadVR if you're using it. They added a new Smooth Motion renderer option, it makes an immediately noticeable difference in reducing judder. It's a pretty big deal, especially if you're not setting your display to 24/48/96hz to match video framerate.

Erie_sl

shitlord
Never heard of it till now, thx for the recommendation. Been using MPC, and been getting annoyed at how it skips frames when I watch tv shows after pausing repeatedly to browse web.

Anime related, "Coming from another world, aren't they" is freaking awesome. Love these new series where the protagonist is already bad-ass and can just look down on everyone he sees.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Never heard of it till now, thx for the recommendation. Been using MPC, and been getting annoyed at how it skips frames when I watch tv shows after pausing repeatedly to browse web.

Anime related, "Coming from another world, aren't they" is freaking awesome. Love these new series where the protagonist is already bad-ass and can just look down on everyone he sees.
MadVR is meant to be used with MPC-HC. Here's a quick and simple guide for it:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/ad...hc-setup-guide

And here's some more in depth/advanced guides:

http://imouto.my/watching-h264-video...itecture-cuda/

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516729

You don't really need to change much though. The main stuff you want to look out for is enabling the new "Smooth Motion" option under "Rendering" in MadVR and the scaling algorithms for tweaking performance.

Long time lurker at the old website, want to say thanks for the past few years on anime advice!

I used CCP with MPC for years and switched tohttp://www.jriver.com/about 2 years ago.
Its not free it costs $50.00, but imo it has the best video, and audio quality of any player. They work with the developer of MadVR (Madshii) and Lav filters (Nevcariel) and have built an auto codec feature called Red October (not a fan of the name). This feature works fantastically, there is no longer an headache of juggling codecs. They update every week and keep adding new and advanced features.

Here is a link from AVS talking about the program.http://www.avsforum.com/t/1352282/jr...-owners-thread

The jriver website has a wiki page for instruction but it is hard to find information. The forum is always active and any questions will be answered rather quickly. If anyone wants to try the free trial I can walk them through the setup. I don't want to sound like an advertisement but I literally boot up my pc and the first program I run is jriver, I use it for my computers audio path, anime, movies, games (they have a loop back feature).

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I can't imagine paying 50 dollars when MadVR is available for free and has the highest video quality out of any Renderer and Lav, which is also free, has the best speed of any Decoder. No one juggles codecs anymore, those two work together perfectly for everything when plugged into a player like MPC-HC.

$50.00 is a hard sell when many of the components are free, I completely agree. The one thing Jriver has that stands above everyone else is its audio quality. They have won a number of awards and are highly praised by a number of people in the industry. As an audio guy that alone sold me to the program, having great and easy video was icing on the cake.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I can't imagine paying 50 dollars when MadVR is available for free and has the highest video quality out of any Renderer and Lav, which is also free, has the best speed of any Decoder. No one juggles codecs anymore, those two work together perfectly for everything when plugged into a player like MPC-HC.
I just threw the laggiest anime OP I've ever had running on my media box (Angel Beats!) at MPC-HC with madVR+LAV and it brought a tear to my eyes. Not a single skipped frame. However did I not manage to know about this combo in the past?

Sean_sl

shitlord
$50.00 is a hard sell when many of the components are free, I completely agree. The one thing Jriver has that stands above everyone else is its audio quality. They have won a number of awards and are highly praised by a number of people in the industry. As an audio guy that alone sold me to the program, having great and easy video was icing on the cake.
I doubt whatever they're doing is going to change much about the quality of bit-exact flac through reclock via wasapi and bit streaming DTS/DD piped through HDMI to my receiver. I prefer to not have players touch my audio at all, all it needs to do is pass through it untouched.

AAC/MP3 etc coded audio could be enhanced by something I guess, but I also just pass those through as bit-exact audio with reclock via wasapi and my receiver handles enhancing them a bit.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Gotta say, Misaki's random outbursts in Sakurasou ep19 were the funniest thing I've seen in anime this season so far.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Blast of Tempest went in the most predictable direction but still has a great buildup. Hopefully they can bring a real game changer for the finale.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Blast of Tempest went in the most predictable direction but still has a great buildup. Hopefully they can bring a real game changer for the finale.
Somehow i did not see this coming until the last few minutes of that episode.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
Yeah, this series has really been stepping up recently.
for me it's more of a rollercoaster, some episodes are great, others not so much. overall still nice.

Somehow i did not see this coming until the last few minutes of that episode.
i didn't think it was very predictable either. any chance that aikas death was faked?

anyone watching senyuu? best 3 minutes of the week
smile.png

rrr_img_15702.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
for me it's more of a rollercoaster, some episodes are great, others not so much. overall still nice.

i didn't think it was very predictable either. any chance that aikas death was faked?

anyone watching senyuu? best 3 minutes of the week
smile.png

rrr_img_15702.jpg
Well honestly they did very good at diverting attention from that to the point it was not on my mind at the tiniest bit. Then when it all went down i was like "Oh SO THATS WHAT HAPPENED!!!".

That aside, did Ixion Saga get good? shit was so fuckin blah after the first 3 episodes idk what to say.

Blide_sl

shitlord
That aside, did Ixion Saga get good? shit was so fuckin blah after the first 3 episodes idk what to say.
It's kind of meh. There are some laughs occasionally but most of the gags get overdone. They'll spend an entire episode on some of those gags. Plot is kind of slow as a result.