Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ah, another round of mkopec argues subjectively with someone obviously trying to debate objectively.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's hardly a fair assessment. People in this very thread have talked about skills that are broken, useless, don't work as intended. Act 2 and 3 being mostly placeholder content outside of the on rails main questline and Act 1 being the only real complete Act. Dupes, Character progress resetting (even in offline mode) etc, etc, etc. Online not being available is a HUGE problem when it comes to a game like this because one of it's biggest draws is going to be co-op.

By all accounts the game barely works but can be fun if you pick one of the few builds that is actually implemented and don't mind the glaring bugs (and they are glaring). Pyros beat the game in about 8 hours apparently and there is no end game yet so no real replayability. This isn't a game yet, and it's very clear it's not worth $40 and that's part of Kirun's point. A lot of people seem to not care about being a discerning customer when it comes to games these days and it allows developers like this, to "release" games in this kind of a state.
Have you played it? If not, I hope you understand that people will try and overstate both the positives and negatives. I would tell people to wait a few patches, then pick the game up, since it is fun. The chance at having your character deleted (somehow), or encountering a progress stopping bug are pretty low. The only non viable build I've seen so far, at least during the Story, has been a pet build. Are there some stupidly broken passives that trivialize all content, yes, but using them us up to you since you can do all content without them. If you haven't played it, wait awhile if you have any interest in doing so.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its a $40 game made by 12-15 dudes and is indy as fuck. this is not EA and one of their $200,000,000 AAA games that comes out being a C title.You guys are making it seem like some life altering decision to buy it like youre giving your left nut to play this. Its literally 3 lunches. I like supporting these types of games made by small dev houses, hey, kinda like GGG and Crate started out.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Bro you need to take a step back and really appreciate how much of a dumpster fire this is.

The visuals/audio and "visceral" feel of combat is there, everything else is a hilarious pile of trash.

Like, pile of trash in the sense that if you allocate the wrong passive nodes your character stops working. Or that basically all spell damage has nearly no scaling and is non-functional if you want to try and play some kind of elemental damage spell build. Or the myriad of passives that do not do what they say they do, if they do anything at all. Or hell, even the nodes with incorrect decimals, or that are a inexplicably a multiplier of a base number that has no business being a multiplier that can start crashing the game because your damage is so high a crit overloads a buffer someplace. Or that minion AI doesn't exist and every skill relating to that may as well not be a thing.

There's no defending this shit. They ran out of money after scrapping/restarting what the game was going to be a handful of times, left the same build in EA for a year+, then dumped out everything they had built since then with 0 testing and called it a "release". Like I get it, it was this or shut down, but holy shit is it bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Yall really arguing about a 40 dollar game?

Buy it or don't, no one gives a fuck. If you do buy it give your opinion here, if you don't fuck off and go post on the D3/POE thread.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"Is this game worth the $40 bucks?"

"Buy it or don't. Fuck off and go post in the D3/POE thread if you don't"

K bud.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just like in any thread you ask a question like that youre goona get both sides riled up and defending their precious. And at the end of the day you will be more confused then ever. Go watch some youtube reviews, watch some twitch vods of people playing it for 6-8 hrs a day for days now and you will soon come to your own conclusion.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ya I've watched Quin and Nugi streams for a couple hours total now. Nugi's stash poofed right before he got off but devs on discord said it's apparently an issue with fetching from the database and are hoping to fix it this week (and said relogging a few times should eventually get it all to load or something). Other than that I haven't seen any "omg unplayable game" stuff.

Keep in mind PoE has shittons of bugs for weeks at a time every single time they release a league, server crashes, etc. that everyone screams bloody murder about too, while spending $500 on supporter packs...

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This isn't even in the same league as the various PoE bugs.

Take a random smattering of ~20% of the passive nodes in PoE and then change them to either:
  1. Do actual nothing
  2. Have incorrect decimals someplace resulting in doing nothing, or breaking the entire game
  3. Be mechanically incompatible with the base mechanics of the game and do nothing, or worse yet break entire aspects of your character
Then you might be sorta in the realm of Wolcen.

That said, *most* of the passive tree issues are relegated almost entirely to caster areas of the tree, while melee/bow crit and phys builds seem to mostly function as expected, with a few specific outliers here and there.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah im sure POE had all this shit nailed down when they released? Random one shot deaths everywhere, skills not workign properly, etc? DO you even remeber POE when it launched? Or in beta? But I guess POE gets skate because it was F2P right? Youre comparing a game that is now made by like 500+ people and what? 10 yrs old with layers and layers of content? To a game that just came out and is made by 13 frenchies. Yep there will be bugs, these games are pretty complex on how they operate.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
PoE is free to try out, at least.

Ill give you that. But , it will take a person 1-2 leagues before they even remotely know WTF is going on because PoE is succh a hot layered mess. And if they do decide to stick around they are spending at least $60 to ahve the stash tabs and all that other bullshit to play normally.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Maybe don't release games (for money) that don't work. I think that's the thing. I played PoE beta in a hardcore league and besides some leagues where shit did 10000 more damage than it should've, at least you could log on to the game and your stash was deleted.

Also this game is literally D3 and PoE mixed. Like, literally it's D3. Imagine if some one baked a cake and you cut a slice and smeared it on some cardboard and said "Look, we made a cake too!" That's what this is so far.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Yeah im sure POE had all this shit nailed down when they released? Random one shot deaths everywhere, skills not workign properly, etc? DO you even remeber POE when it launched? Or in beta? But I guess POE gets skate because it was F2P right? Youre comparing a game that is now made by like 500+ people and what? 10 yrs old with layers and layers of content? To a game that just came out and is made by 13 frenchies. Yep there will be bugs, these games are pretty complex on how they operate.

Grinding gear has nowhere near 500 people. The latest glassdoor posts say between 50-100, they posted themselves that they employ about 100 people a little while ago (some positions are part-time).

But yeah you can't really compare the 2 games.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yall really arguing about a 40 dollar game?

Buy it or don't, no one gives a fuck. If you do buy it give your opinion here, if you don't fuck off and go post on the D3/POE thread.

Dude. This is exactly what the sub forum is for. I DO give a fuck if someone bought the game and want their opinion on it. The level of fucked up matters. If gold is being duped...that can be huge or nothing. If certain builds are broken and I happen to like those build types, that's a no go for me. DISCUSSING this shit matters to some peeps.

If I'm on a budget for gaming, I'm do not want to waste 40 bucks. It's not chump change for everyone.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Grinding gear has nowhere near 500 people. The latest glassdoor posts say between 50-100, they posted themselves that they employ about 100 people a little while ago (some positions are part-time).

But yeah you can't really compare the 2 games.
PoE NOW has 100+ppl, but back when they released, it was a small company(they had 25ppl during the open beta, which was the "soft launch"). And the released state was a lot better than this, probably because you know, they ran a beta with all the content for years before that, instead of just throwing a complete rework live and expect things to go well.

And ultimately it's still a poor argument to compare a new game releasing to a 5+ years old game when it released. You can't excuse everything because a game long ago had similar issues. People did that shit constantly with mmos too, "oh but remember wow at release it was such a disaster" like that somehow excuses a game 10years later having the same issues, like the tech is the same and no one can learn from previously done mistakes. And I'm not necessarily talking server issues, that shit's messy especially for games with larger success than expected(which this did have).

Big issues like server stability, stash being deleted/not accessible, gold dupe and so on aside, there's a ton of massive balance issues in the current state of the game. Basically you can't make a good caster or summoner(which is pretty much a joke), it's only ailments or weapon based characters. Even for weapon based characters, there's massive discrepancies, for example anything with a shield is going to do 3 to 5times more damage than anything without, because of the busted shield passive. Difficulty is super spiky with almost nothing being threatening until you lose 80% of your health in one shot to some rare mob(that's similar to poe btw, it's shit in poe too though). A very very large amount of passives are complete shit due to terrible decisions like additive damage on everything but also giving you a stupidly high number of base damage% via stats, so anything that's like "+20% fire damage" is absolute trash, and that includes any % on gear, making flat damage the only thing that matters.

The pacing of the game feels off too imo, with trash mostly dying instantly ala poe, but then the density is garbage so you spend more time travelling between packs than fighting and the packs being too small most of the time so it doesn't feel rewarding to kill them either.

Ymmv obviously and some people definitely enjoy the game, personally I don't think it's worth 40bucks in its current state, I'd wait for a sale.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Is there a way to unmap the fucking attack with weapon to left mouse, tired of running to dodge shit just for my guy to stop and shot at some enemy.

Last edited: