Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Basically treat this one like a early release. Yes there are bugs, yes there is shit broken. But the core of the game is fun, it has a unique classless skill system where you can mix and match whatever you want. The end game is pretty much like D3 for the most part. Rifts and Grifts. If youre one of those that likes everything to be 98% complete and bug free, skip this one for now and wait it out. Give it aq few months to saute and come back to see if they fixed it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
This thread is confusing, how can a game be so fun when it appears this buggy, esp when it’s an arpg. Even f76 didn’t have giant unrendered zones on release

Guessing the game is fun in the same way this forum is even though the community isn't a straight up 10.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
You really think if they released it as 'early access' there wouldn't be just as many memes and just as much shit talking going on? I'm fairly certain I've seen a lot of people on this forum also complaining about the "every game released these days is 'early access' it's bs blah blah blah". It would be more honest, yes, but i'd bet the complaining levels across the interwebs would be virtually identical.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Good start. Less than a week and they are already tackling some of the major shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Meh, name some good ARPG that I havent played.

D3, PoE, Grim Dawn, Hades, Book of Demons, Torchlight II? All are superior games to this game, at least while it maintains the $40 price point.

If this game were in the $15-20 range like most Early Acess-esque titles and still had the EA designation of "buyer beware", I don't think as many people would have a problem with the buggy mess that this game is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jox

Molten Core Raider
The end game is maps and that's it, repeatable maps you add mods to and go +1 level when you win with no other overarching objective, which gets boring pretty fast. I am questioning why he brought up the fact that d3 and poe also have a lot of maps.

• 1Truth!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You really think if they released it as 'early access' there wouldn't be just as many memes and just as much shit talking going on? I'm fairly certain I've seen a lot of people on this forum also complaining about the "every game released these days is 'early access' it's bs blah blah blah". It would be more honest, yes, but i'd bet the complaining levels across the interwebs would be virtually identical.

Actually from everything I have seen here, those people get roasted for buying early access and expecting anything more. So yes, there would be shit talking, it would be shit talking the idiot that bought into an early access title and expected it to be launch ready.

This is an entirely different circumstance.

(By the way, who the hell is keeping them to one hot fix a week? Steam?)

Caliane

yes? Because that already happened. The game WAS in Early access. we were playing it for years. and then, last year act 1 dropped, and came with a price increase. Sure it was incomplete and had bugs. But you expect that, and we expected them to be addressed before release.

And yeah, we can talk about EA buyers enabling shitty dev studios too. But at least we all know that is effectively venture capital. you are taking a gamble on what you think will turn out well.

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

This game was a shitshow even during Early Access and it was very obvious they weren't ready for "release". Shit talking and memeing on the game was at a minimum because most people understood it was EA and the usual norm. The only real memes I can remember were that it was taking forever and would probably never leave EA with how shitty/slow development was coming along.

• 1Truth!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
D3, PoE, Grim Dawn, Hades, Book of Demons, Torchlight II? All are superior games to this game, at least while it maintains the $40 price point.

Played the shit out of all of these, in fact most people who are into ARPGs played the shit out of all of them. Hades and Book of Demons I would not classify as ARPG.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It is very clear that the plotline gets rushed, especially in Chapter 3. Chapter 1 starts out very narrowly focused and gradually builds to being part of a much larger story with a mystery box at the center. Chapter 2 marches right through what could have been an extended chunk of the game and then Chapter 3 brings you immediately to the endgame. I would have expected at least two more chapters and a chance to flesh more of the world and ideas out.

Note that there are things that take place in the city during Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 that you are not at all directed towards by the core plotline. Lots of side conversations and ways in which the appearance of people and places change etc.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Played the shit out of all of these, in fact most people who are into ARPGs played the shit out of all of them. Hades and Book of Demons I would not classify as ARPG.

So you're just an ARPG junkie who can't wait for his next fix, no matter the cost or efficacy of the drug. Shit, that's all you had to say fam. Makes a lot more sense now.

• 1Truth!

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I will note that I have not seen any of these issues or bugs save the whole server offline business this past weekend. The biggest issue I ran into was zoning back into the previous zone and landing inside a piece of scenery but I just used fast travel to pop back out.

Caliane

It is very clear that the plotline gets rushed, especially in Chapter 3. Chapter 1 starts out very narrowly focused and gradually builds to being part of a much larger story with a mystery box at the center. Chapter 2 marches right through what could have been an extended chunk of the game and then Chapter 3 brings you immediately to the endgame. I would have expected at least two more chapters and a chance to flesh more of the world and ideas out.

Note that there are things that take place in the city during Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 that you are not at all directed towards by the core plotline. Lots of side conversations and ways in which the appearance of people and places change etc.
yeah, those city easteregg things are really cool. act 3 city being choked with refugees was really impressive too. I dont think I've ever seen a game manage to do a crowd like that.

I feel like I need someone to explain the ending to me... its like there is a missing scene or two...
jump in front of beam. Ahriman talks some shit... credits. 6months later we are regent and no mention of Val/helmloch/dawn guy? what? did I miss something?

Needless

Toe Sucker
i dont necessarily regret buying this because it's kind of fun, but its a horrible mess and theres not many viable builds

I'll give it another whirl in like 6+ months lol

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
The end game is maps and that's it, repeatable maps you add mods to and go +1 level when you win with no other overarching objective, which gets boring pretty fast. I am questioning why he brought up the fact that d3 and poe also have a lot of maps.

He said he was having fun with the end game.... you said "end game is just maps"... that's exactly what the end game is in PoE and i'm assuming D3 with grifts (haven't played d3 in a long long time tho)... Have you actually played any of these games?

Jox

Molten Core Raider
You're working towards atlas completion, spawning conquerors, awakener, uber elder etc. as an objective of maps. So you're right this is much closer to rifts in d3 which people get bored of and quit in 3 days of a new season.