Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

xzi

Mouthbreather
Combat is much faster and fluid, but with the cutscenes (which I actually liked) sprinkled in, if you don't care about that kind of shit it really kills the pacing of the overall game. Aside from on the hardest difficulty, every death I knew what killed me and almost immediately knew what I did wrong which I really had issue with in the last game at times.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
huh, I'm like 13 hours into Wolfenstein 2 and maybe 60-70 percent of the way through. I've done a few of the side missions but not all of them. I think the big time sink is wandering around the hub talking to people / listening to conversations. If you don't care about that it probably cuts 3-4 hours out by the end of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Well, there's a huge difference in number of data points on that site for both games since w2 just came out.

Cybsled

I beat the game and am currently doing the assassination missions. The DLC their page talks about, though...is that just that prequel game, or are they planning storyline DLC for this? Game is definitely still able to continue from a story perspective.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Here's the thing, and I'm not sure it's good design because you shouldn't rely on completionists to extend your gameplay. But if you play on the easiest difficulty, which the AI is the equivalent to AI in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and you make a b-line directly for the end of the level + only watch the main story cutscenes you no doubt can complete the game in 6 hours or less. The game at even just medium where the AI is actually aware of you extends this a bit because you can't just run past them at full speed. Then you add in upgrading weapons, finding collectibles, reading or viewing lore and exploring in general (every level is linear but some have many paths) and not skipping cutscenes it starts to become the actual length of the game. The world is very dense and rich with world and character building on a whole extra level that wolfenstein has never been before.

tl;dr easiest difficulty you can cheese most the game and complete super fast (which is probably what all these reports are doing)

Hell, with skipping the cutscenes the world record speed run at the moment is 1 hour 14 minutes (some pretty big spoilers even with skipping cutscenes)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just finished this, took about 15 hours and it says I'm at 68% completion. That was on one of the medium difficulties. That's way longer than TNO took me, I played through that twice and had 100% completion after like 22 hours total. I want to go finish up more of the side stuff but the amount of hunting it takes to find the collectibles this time around is super annoying and kinda detracts from the game for me. If they made the star cards drop every 10 or 15 kills off enemies until you had all of them, that would be a huge help. It would also make sense kind of. Then make the other ones easier to find without having to backtrack after you kill any officers (if there are any, if there aren't I don't think you can get them on the map at all).

I think the game isn't quite as tight as TNO was. It's still really good, but something about it didn't quite click the same way, and like I said, the collectibles really detract from the game itself whereas in TNO I didn't mind them at all. The voice acting, music, sounds, violence, story, characters, are all pretty great. It has a couple loose ends that just go off into the void which is either going to be Wolf3 or some expansion / DLC. Kind of hoping for expansion so we don't have to wait 3 years.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I want to go finish up more of the side stuff but the amount of hunting it takes to find the collectibles this time around is super annoying and kinda detracts from the game for me.

Yeah I might go do this instead of bashing my head in on Mein Leben difficulty and dying before I even make it to NY. If you find the maps in each level they will show where each collectible is which is really nice, but usually the maps themselves are hidden away as well.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Hell, with skipping the cutscenes the world record speed run at the moment is 1 hour 14 minutes (some pretty big spoilers even with skipping cutscenes)
Speedruns already two days post-release lol.

What a shit stale genre FPS single-player is.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
I mean, BOTW isn't an FPS and is hailed as one of the best games this year and speedruns were out within 2 days.

try harder

• 1Barf

xzi

Mouthbreather
Thanks, Destiny 2 which is a giant recently released multiplayer game also has speedruns within a week of release.

I can continue to be a faggot but I don't understand your point.

• 1Worf

Palum

what Suineg set it to
He's essentially saying that plenty of modern games, FPS in particular are stale and not challenging, so speed runs are completed after a couple of days whereas in the past it would take months or years of work for people to develop oddball strategies to quickly complete the game.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Do you guys even understand how big the exploit/speedrun community is though? Wolfenstein doesn't surprise me all that much because it's on id Tech 6 which is what Doom was on, so a lot of the same tricks work in both games. Most of those people who participate in early speed runs don't even play the game they just immediately try to find what they can glitch out of, and there's dedicated discord servers of people splitting off into groups, each group taking specific levels or points in the game to see what they can find.

Idunno, I don't think it has anything to do with staleness, even though I completely disagree I can see how the FPS genre in general can be stale to some people. AAA in general has a problem with offering absolutely no innovation, and even when they do "innovate" they usually steal from indie games anyways. It's a lot safer for your business to do what is popular. That I definitely agree there's staleness to.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, you can't compare speedruns from ten or even five years ago to the community it is now.

Cybsled

Biggest complaint I have is the story had lots of loose ends, like a movie that seems sure that it will garner a sequel and thus doesn't resolve certain things. You resolved one big point, but it feels like part 1 of a 2 part story (or part 2 of a 3 part technically lol).

Also, I noticed they got lazy for the ending credits art...they just used the Germany release version I guess since it was the Nazi symbol replacement artwork from that release. Game is worth it alone for the movie audition scene and Anya's scene at the end when she is dual-wielding the assault rifles lol.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Do you guys even understand how big the exploit/speedrun community is though?
I'll grant the growth and collaborative efforts of the speedrunning community as being a significant factor, but notable releases are such paint-by-number affairs at this point that the games themselves are no longer a variable in the equation.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I was having issues since their latest patch and the nvidia drivers making me constantly crash. Apparently both nvidia and machinegames pushed out disasters of updates especially for 10 series cards.

If anyone else is having issues, these are fixes working for people including myself (the last 2 specifically stopped my crashing completely)

Issue:
- I have an NVIDIA 10-series GPU and my system restarts after the logo crawl at 4K resolution
Workaround:
- Delete your local config file (C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\MachineGames\Wolfenstein II The New Colossus\base\Wolfenstein II The New ColossusConfig.local)
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Select “Change Resolution”
- Set “Color Output Format” to any value other than YCbCr422 or YCbCr420
- Launch game

Issue:
- I have an NVIDIA 1050, 1060, 1070 or 1080 GPU and am running one of the 388 driver versions but run into stability issues when Alt + Tabbing, minimizing the screen or changing resolution or V-Sync settings
Workaround:
- Delete your local config file (C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\MachineGames\Wolfenstein II The New Colossus\base\Wolfenstein II The New ColossusConfig.local)
- Open Steam
- In your game library, navigate to and highlight Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
- Right-click “Properties”
- Select “Set Launch Options”
- Enter +r_enableAsyncCompute 0
- Launch game

Issue:
- I have an NVIDIA 10-seriesGPU and am running one of the 388 driver versions but run into stability issues, even with the +r_enableAsyncCompute 0 Steam launch parameter enabled
Workaround:
- Open Steam
- In your game library, navigate to and highlight Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
- Right-click “Properties”
- Select “Set Launch Options”
- Add the following launch parameter: +r_disableSteamOverlay 1 (in addition to +r_enableAsyncCompute 0)
- Launch game
o Note – this disables the Steam Overlay, but will likely result in improved stability

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finished it over the weekend and it was kinda meh. Overall I'd give it a 6-7/10 and it's removed Machine Games from my day 1 buy developer list. A decent game but a far cry from The New Order. The game play was a slow spin up, the characters were meh, the story was meh and the bosses were meh.

The gameplay was not enjoyable at the beginning. I prefer to stealth games like this as much as possible but that's not doable e at the beginning and it made me dislike the game from the start. The mobs felt pretty bullet spongey early on but it wasn't so bad bad once I got some upgrades. And by the end of the game I was starting to enjoy the combat. I'm tempted to play it again to see if I like it now that I've spent some time with the combat but I think I'm just going to move on.

The story and characters were an SJW's wet dream. I was dying laughing by a few missions in because they were really trying to appease a leftist crowd. Unfortunately for this game they just made stereotypes into video game characters. Not a big deal since Wolfenstein characters are always silly, but the first game did a really good job so I had high hopes. In this game it's the adventures of Terror Billy, Black Power, Hambeast and Hodor. The biggest let down for me was the evil characters. There were two? Psycho woman and Hitler? And neither of them actually fight BJ. What a let down. The boss fights were also pretty uninspired compared to the earlier two games. Basically shoot things in the head until they're dead, this time with more bullet sponge.

Not an awful game, not a great game. Recommended as a bargain bin buy.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users