Woodworking

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Damn, you nailed my other thought. I love the big 4ft x 8ft melamine top table i made. Its sturdy af and the whole back side is lumber storage so its extra weighty....but I fucked up and made the support 2x4s flush with the edge of the table. Can't get any of my clamps on there so I was also thinking of making a new one of those.

I remember one of my dad's friends had a big table with wheels that bolted onto the side. It would drop down on its legs really simply when it needed to. The mechanism to raise it was a lot like the ladders at home depot. Ring any bells?
1. If you are going to remake the table, look into building a torsion box top (lots of vids on youtube) and a 4x4 frame.

2. As far as the wheels go, here's an example. I have no experience with this particular brand/unit, but most are similar :

Workbench Casters - 4 Extra Heavy Duty Retractable casters, 840 lbs. Weight Capacity, Urethane Wheels
There are even stronger ones but they are harder to find.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you want quality casters, McMaster-Carr has almost anything you could think of. They charge a premium, but you generally get top shelf stuff.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Working on a super simple cabinet for the laundry room, probably do a bigger one with a butcherblock top next for folding and extra storage.
20220221_170310.jpg
20220221_170200.jpg
20220221_170213.jpg

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is that one of those Bora centipede things? Been thinking about getting one for extra surface or laying out larger glue ups like that but just haven’t bc it is yet another “thing” I don’t need before I feel organized.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I built my welding table like this...

165578380_2000x2000.jpg

Minus the holes cause ain't nobody got time to drill that many holes through half inch steel. It's great because you can stick clamps through the gaps and clamp stuff almost anywhere on the table. I've never seen a woodworking bench like that but it seems like it would be similarly convenient. I suppose it would be challenging to make the planks rigid enough if they were made of wood but it seems like you could reinforce it with steel somehow.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

165578380_2000x2000.jpg

Minus the holes cause ain't nobody got time to drill that many holes through half inch steel. It's great because you can stick clamps through the gaps and clamp stuff almost anywhere on the table. I've never seen a woodworking bench like that but it seems like it would be similarly convenient. I suppose it would be challenging to make the planks rigid enough if they were made of wood but it seems like you could reinforce it with steel somehow.
"Vertical clamping anywhere" is broadly the problem that holdfasts are meant to solve. My bench is 3'' thick so I can still use clamps at the edges, and whenever I need a holdfast somewhere I can't already reach I just put in another hole with my bit brace.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is that one of those Bora centipede things? Been thinking about getting one for extra surface or laying out larger glue ups like that but just haven’t bc it is yet another “thing” I don’t need before I feel organized.

Yeah it is, I need to build a permanent outfeed table / glue up station but it is hard to get any shop prduc t s done till the house renovation is complete. It is pretty cool holds what I meet, does a little self leveling to make up for my floor and I can move it around if I need to or collaps it out of the way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>

165578380_2000x2000.jpg

On the woodworking side, if you need/want that kind of fixturing, festool and others make MFT tables for that purpose. Otherwise bench dogs. MFT seems most convenient for batch production/joinert of smaller parts. You typically don't need the mass of steel because you're not dealing with as much weight.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
If you want quality casters, McMaster-Carr has almost anything you could think of. They charge a premium, but you generally get top shelf stuff.

I miss the old McMaster - Carr catalogs they were probably 1000 pages. Best toilet book ever, you could crack open any page while taking a dump and see a bunch of exotic hardware and fasteners you were never aware of, and more importantly learn the technical names for them. They literally sell everything from springs to do-dads to widgets to switches to super specific mechanical parts to fabricate automation equipment from scratch. MM&C aint cheap but their customer service and shipping speed is amazing. Not once in 30+ yrs have they short shipped me or screwed up and order.

Edit - looks like you can still get the paper catalogs by request if you are a big enough company, they used to send them out gratis every couple of years to almost anyone who ordered from them in the past couple years..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Meanwhile you start an LLC and have 1,000 pages or ULine catalogs in your mailbox before the afternoon.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users