Woodworking

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm assuming the dimple texture is in the tile, yes? If not, you are getting orange peel from either an adhesion problem or an application problem.

Flattening polyurethane, the only option is sanding. If you're worried about sanding through the finish, put more coats on before you sand. Better yet, use a finish with higher solids content so you get more build (like conversion varnish or catalyzed lacquer).

If you want to stick with a wipe on, water based polycrylic, try 5 coats, lightly sand by hand with 400 grit or higher, then add 2 coats of polycrylic. Sand/apply 2 coats again. Repeat until smooth.

Or spray 2 moderate coats of conversion varnish, lightly de-nib or sand with 500 grit, and spray a light top coat.

Others here I think do more finishing than me and may have different /better options for you. I just do furniture.
Thanks, I'll start trying that today. "Orange peel" texture is dead on. Some of it is from the etching, but its definitely mostly from the application. I'm using A HVLP sprayer but haven't had it long

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Thanks, I'll start trying that today. "Orange peel" texture is dead on. Some of it is from the etching, but its definitely mostly from the application. I'm using A HVLP sprayer but haven't had it long

HVLPs don't spray like a conventional gun.

1- cheap HVLP guns only 'HVLP' when their psi / bar is set below the max (usually marked on the gun).

2- HVLPs squirt paint much differently than a conventional gun, general rule is you need to get your fluid tip closer to your work, and make your passes slower.

True orange peel is generally a sign of you moving your passes a bit to fast. When spraying an uneven surface the pattern underneath can 'print' into your finish as the solvents flash out and the film thickness shrinks.

General spray gun tips-

Guns are designed to squirt fluid pin wide open, fan wide open. This can be wider than work sometimes and you are wasting material with bad transfer rate from blow-by. So anytime you narrow the fan, you need to drop the fluid needle too, also when choking down fan width you need to drop pressure going into gun to keep the psi / bar under max.

Biggest tip when learning to spray well if set up LOTs of light. You need to see how the paint is laying down as you move. Also don't stand behind a spray gun like its a firearm, you can't see shit. Hold the gun off to the side, turn your head and watch the fan coming out of the gun and how it is interacting with the surface as you are applying.

The whole trick to getting a mirror finish spray job is being able to walk the super fine line of laying it down wet so it flows, but not wet enough to make it start running or smiling.

Takes a lot of practice and every coating material behaves differently.

Edit - Also HVLPs rely on cfm not psi, and a lot of home compressors don't make good cfm, it effects how well the gun lays down material

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Another pro-tip if you are going to spray alot, invest in a can of Blender. It can save a rough spray job by melting the surface so it can move a bit and flatten out while it is still 'green '

Test it's compatibility with the material you are spraying before going full steam. You don't want it corrupting more sensitive/ fussy coatings.

790SC-Blender-Resized.jpg

Old timers didn't have blender so they would dump most of their gun cup at the end, cut the pot with 60-70% reducer and run a super atomized fog pass to remelt rough spots in a finish.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Also when setting up your gun, do a flood check. Look at the pattern it is putting out so you can see how even it is and how far you need to overlap to get a uniform application.

Most cheap guns are actually putting out an oval football shape pattern and only 65-70% of the fan pattern is solid, edges are dry and fuzzy. If you spray for a living you buy SataJets they are the only guns whose fans are a razor blade rectangle with 80-90% usable even fan.

Biggest single factor in getting a coating to lay down right is that the size of the fluid tip matches the viscosity of the material, no substitute for the right equipment.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Shut up, get on an airplane and come show me how to use my spray gun. I got beer.

The lighting tip is money though. I think that every fucking time I start spraying

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Coworker asked if I'd make her a table for her housewarming present. She wants a coffee table kinda like this, but with the resin inlay/contours I've been doing (and she's well aware I'm no Master of Wood).

Her Example:
MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

The room:
MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg

Here's a quick mockup to see how the contour lines would look at 50ft intervals and 5mm thickness (Contour lines would be wood, not sure what yet, and space inbetween will be resin with pearl micah powder).
1645916880842.png

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Shut up, get on an airplane and come show me how to use my spray gun. I got beer.

The lighting tip is money though. I think that every fucking time I start spraying

If you have money burning a hole in you pocket buy a Luma Light. They are model specific so go out and buy a Sata 5500 while you are at it.

Sata-Red.jpg

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Bandwagon Bandwagon are you using an HVLP turbine system? Or a high pressure conversion using a typical garage or portable compressor? Just curious.

I use a Fuji Q5 (it's a turbine system) and I get outstanding results. They are pricey, unfortunately, but work great for me. I use raking (side) light from various stand mounted full spectrum LEDs.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Bandwagon Bandwagon are you using an HVLP turbine system? Or a high pressure conversion using a typical garage or portable compressor? Just curious.

I use a Fuji Q5 (it's a turbine system) and I get outstanding results. They are pricey, unfortunately, but work great for me. I use raking (side) light from various stand mounted full spectrum LEDs.
no idea fella. I got a HVLP gun from home depot a few months ago for around $120, and I have it hooked up to a shitty 5gal air compressor (20gal rusted out last year).

whoo

<Silver Donator>
no idea fella. I got a HVLP gun from home depot a few months ago for around $120, and I have it hooked up to a shitty 5gal air compressor (20gal rusted out last year).
Okay! That answers my question :) Go forth and conquer 👍

If your tile isn't bumpy to start with, Zapatta Zapatta nailed it. It's a flow issue. The good news is you can fix that with adjustments and practice if your gun is adjustable. Good luck!

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea I think getting lighting right first is what I need to do, since I keep seeing this shit after I spray and when I'm inspecting with a light.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yea I think getting lighting right first is what I need to do, since I keep seeing this shit after I spray and when I'm inspecting with a light.

On top of a luma light I run one of those 100+ degree stadium style headband lights. Amazon has them $30-40.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
These are ceramic tiles with ink and about 3x layers of polycrylic.

Anyone have advice on how to get rid of the dimples that doesn't involve sanding? I keep messing these up when the sanding gets to the ink layer and smears it all over the place, so trying to figure out how to fix the dimples without doing that. Flood coat approach?

View attachment 400461
To Whoo's point with the poly: this is an old video set I had bookmarked about rubbing out a finish, after the layering, to get it perfectly smooth (use more coats, let cure, sand it out):

The time I did a table to high gloss (think I used 5+ coats of polyurethane (oil)), I used Micro Mesh sandpaper from Woodcrafters to get the gloss /w no (low) defects. Amazon link for set of 2.

_

Depending on how the ink reacts to it, it might be easier to do a flood coat of epoxy. It's not cheap, but for a small project it wouldn't be too bad. It's also faster. The table I did with high gloss poly took hours of layering, sanding between coats, and the final finish (majority of time), not to mention the time waiting for the coats to dry.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Biggest thing about lights for spraying is to protect them from overspray so they dont get torched and you have to trash them. I put clear mylar film over mine like a goggle tear off. but if you are using low temp LEDs you can just do a quick saranwrap over the glass.

Anyone who sprays should keep a lump of Clay Magic around. Its autobody detailing clay. Wait for the paint to dry, spray a little soap and water on any items fuzzed out by over spray and rub the clay on it and it swallows up the fuzzy oopses.

clay-magic-detailing-clay-bar.jpg

Also denatured alcohol is handy, good for getting dried overspray off of glass. Also healthier to use to get urethanes etc off of your skin, solvents and thinners are not very bueno for cleaning yourself off with, liver / nerve damage etc.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Head lamps rule

Totally agree. Once you get past the part where you look stupid wearing them, you have hands-free light that is always pointed exactly where you're looking. I don't know why I don't use mine more.

• 1Solidarity