Woodworking

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't remember if I asked this in here already....but anyone aware of an adjustable height tool stand, with a fine adjustment? IE - Not aluminum punched tubes with pre-set intervals?

Looking for something that's about 24"x24" and a mix between these two things:
1655488549959.png

1655488607573.png

The bench grinder stands are the closest thing I've found so far? Is that my best option?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't remember if I asked this in here already....but anyone aware of an adjustable height tool stand, with a fine adjustment? IE - Not aluminum punched tubes with pre-set intervals?

Looking for something that's about 24"x24" and a mix between these two things:
View attachment 417687

View attachment 417688

The bench grinder stands are the closest thing I've found so far? Is that my best option?
What are you looking to do with/on the stand? I have my DeWalt planer on this thing below, but it's definitely lacking 'fine adjustment'.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
That seems really low for a planer. Are you a midget?
Hmm. It's not low when pumped up. I'm 6ft tall and don't need to bend over or anything when I use the planer. When I don't use the planer, I can lower it and stow it under the bench along the side of the garage.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What are you looking to do with/on the stand? I have my DeWalt planer on this thing below, but it's definitely lacking 'fine adjustment'.

I want to be able to swap in my planer/bandsaw/router and adjust them to match my bench.....and be sturdy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
How much of a pain was it to make sure the different tools line up with your table?
It wasn't that bad. I worked backwards from the planer bed and figured out where the pivot point needed to be given the 2x4 framing for the platform base and the 1.5'' base it's sitting on. Then for the miter saw I inset its base because it's got a taller working height than the planer. Both surfaces are flush with the wings of the cart and my bench, so I can use my bench as outfeed for the planer or extended wings for the saw.

If I had to do it over again I'd mount the tools to a plywood square and screw that into the flip top platform. What I did here is a bit of a pain in the ass because the mounting bolts for the tools are in very awkward locations to get a wrench. Plus whichever tool is on the bottom gets filled with dust. At the time, though, I had a lot of leftover 2x's and no plywood so I used what I had.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yep I did the same thing. Beneath my top there is a substructure for mounting the bolts, so not just the plywood. But I filled the gaps between with scrap pieces of plywood so there'd be more surface area to mount to.

Was either going to put my little 7" miter saw on the other side or a belt / spindle sander.

1655497362127.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I was pretty proud of myself putting this thing together yesterday because I was taking it slow and everything was fitting together really well. I thought that I finally nailed the miter for the first time ever, but saw 2x corners this morning with a gap on the outer edge when I pulled the clamps off.

Anything I can do, other than just wood filler and try again on the next one? I think I've learned to favor an error on the inside edge from now on, moving forward.

Screenshot_20220618-084203_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220618-084146_Gallery.jpg

Edit:
I'm blaming those corners on my helper
20220618_085247.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I was pretty proud of myself putting this thing together yesterday because I was taking it slow and everything was fitting together really well. I thought that I finally nailed the miter for the first time ever, but saw 2x corners this morning with a gap on the outer edge when I pulled the clamps off.

Anything I can do, other than just wood filler and try again on the next one? I think I've learned to favor an error on the inside edge from now on, moving forward.

View attachment 417839

View attachment 417838
Edit:
I'm blaming those corners on my helper
View attachment 417844
Little trick for miters is to make them just a tiny bit OVER 45 degrees(like literally 45.1 or less). This will put any gap toward the inside, rather than the outside. That tiny gap on the inside will usually just disappear during glue up and clamping. In the event it's still visible, it's easier to fill/hide than an outside gap.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Today I found out I can't sharpen a chainsaw for shit.

Tomorrow, I get to start over.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I hate sharpening chainsaws.
I've never even attempted, but just imagining sharpening all those little blades already makes think I'd just start pricing out new chains. They are pretty cheap for my little-ass Ryobi 40v. I imagine at some point sharpening starts to outweigh the cost. What do the larger/high quality chains cost?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
It's been an interesting dive into stuff. I'd just drop it off to be sharpened, but it's a rip chain which is really unusual in the cities, and I don't want them to fuck it up.

Because it's a rip chain, it's not available at any retail outlets here, so I have to order it online. I'd normally just buy another one, because they're $20, but I'd have to wait a week for it to get here, which doesn't help me out any.

I bought an electric bench grinder sharpener, and thought I did everything right with that, filed off the rakers, put the chain back on and....nothing. Absolutely refused to cut, just smoked.

So, back to the drawing board and doing it by hand...if I can find a 10° file guide.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What do the larger/high quality chains cost?

They're like $25, but even if you want to spend the money, it's not very practical. If you're cutting firewood all day you need to sharpen it every 2-3 hours really. I've been doing it for years and still sometimes I get done sharpening and it won't cut well and I don't understand why. Very frustrating. I haven't tried any of the electrical gadgets, just hand filing, but I hate it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it's fucking annoying how one project leads you into learning 7 new skills and you can never get to what you actually intended to do.

• 2Solidarity