<Silver Donator>
I have a (used) cnc now.
mr burns GIF

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it's fucking annoying how one project leads you into learning 7 new skills and you can never get to what you actually intended to do.

I'm now starting to understand why it took my dad 15 years to build an airplane in the garage.

But by the end of it, he knew how to do literally fucking everything.

All those EAA Nerds get balls deep into my world eventually. Home built aircraft people end up having to learn the cutting edge of technology. In fact last I knew if you joined EAA for $50 they gave you a free copy of SolidWorks CAD software, which is worth it even if you never build a plane.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't know shit about chainsaws, but I know a big dick chainsaw when I see one.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, it was an easy decision. That Husky is a fantastic saw, and about as big as I ever wanna be carrying around. I'll probably keep it forever.

This thing? This thing is fucking dumb. It's the size of a goddamned chainsword, and it's like 35lbs. It's also made with all of the tight tolerances the chinese are known for.

If it saws up 4 logs and dies, I'm fucking good. If it doesn't die, I'm sure I can dump it for a couple hundred bucks and break even.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, it was an easy decision. That Husky is a fantastic saw, and about as big as I ever wanna be carrying around. I'll probably keep it forever.

This thing? This thing is fucking dumb. It's the size of a goddamned chainsword, and it's like 35lbs. It's also made with all of the tight tolerances the chinese are known for.

If it saws up 4 logs and dies, I'm fucking good. If it doesn't die, I'm sure I can dump it for a couple hundred bucks and break even.
I looked into one of those, everything I read was that they are actually pretty good and reliable if you are willing to tinker with them.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
It was about an hour to put the fucking handle on.

So yeah, sounds about right!

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
If you’re not already screening your calls, nows a good time to start. My wife will undoubtedly have some choice words for you when she sees the bill and I tell her where I got the idea to pick up a 92cc saw with a 28” bar. Thanks bro. You’re the real hero.

36".

Don't cheap out!

• 3Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Had a little bit of time to make some progress today. I'm almost very very happy with how things are going.

With the base frame together I'm 4/16" out of square and can pull that in once I put the front frame rails on. I also laid the top on it just to see how it looks and how the top sits and I'm happy to say it is almost flush all the way around. Once screwed in it should sit pretty snug. If I need to add a figure 8 or z-clip I can do that. The tape helps mask the issues with the mortise and tenons not being perfect, maybe I can leave it on ;)

Rare shots of my shop a total mess. Sorry Bandwagon Bandwagon I'll clean up after this is finished.

Hopefully I don't screw it up with the sealing and finishing. Everything is pre-sanded to 220 and I'll go over it again with a very light pass and seal things in stages. Bottom frame, top, drawers.

Stihl edger featured in these shots that I'm taking apart. Probably some other easter eggs.

67770481388__F29CD737-AF98-4CE6-9A18-1AE31E9FEF41.JPG
IMG_3796.JPG

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Rare shots of my shop a total mess.

I don't think those words mean the same to you as they do to the rest of us. Your messy shop is neater than mine after I clean. Sometimes I can't even see the floor.

Table looks good. Remember that no one else knows where you screwed up, and will never see your mistakes.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
So, it took me the better part of 2 hours to A) get that saw started, and B) tune it up so it purrs like a kitten. It is still C) putting out an absolutely nonsensically excessive amount of bar oil even on the lowest output setting, but I can't see that being too terrible of a problem ripping anyway. Reviews are absolutely spot on - so far seems to be a great saw, IF you're not averse to a little bit of work. Still not entirely sure what the problem was, but if my trial and error is to be believed, it starts with a spark plug gap of 0.02" but not with 0.022", as fucked as that sounds.

I took the full wrap handle off, and now tomorrow I've gotta rebuild the mount to get it onto the sawmill tower, drilling a couple holes thru a 36" bar to bolt it on shouldn't be a big deal....said no one ever.

But, hopefully, with a little reinforcement (I'm using and inch and a half of plywood now instead of 3/4"), I think we're gonna be able to support that fucking hog. Can't wait to run 13,500rpms thru some walnut.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So, it took me the better part of 2 hours to A) get that saw started, and B) tune it up so it purrs like a kitten. It is still C) putting out an absolutely nonsensically excessive amount of bar oil even on the lowest output setting, but I can't see that being too terrible of a problem ripping anyway. Reviews are absolutely spot on - so far seems to be a great saw, IF you're not averse to a little bit of work. Still not entirely sure what the problem was, but if my trial and error is to be believed, it starts with a spark plug gap of 0.02" but not with 0.022", as fucked as that sounds.

I took the full wrap handle off, and now tomorrow I've gotta rebuild the mount to get it onto the sawmill tower, drilling a couple holes thru a 36" bar to bolt it on shouldn't be a big deal....said no one ever.

But, hopefully, with a little reinforcement (I'm using and inch and a half of plywood now instead of 3/4"), I think we're gonna be able to support that fucking hog. Can't wait to run 13,500rpms thru some walnut.
Make sure you use oil and a sharp bit. You don’t want to heat up the bar too much when drilling your holes.