Woodworking

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
So, it took me the better part of 2 hours to A) get that saw started, and B) tune it up so it purrs like a kitten. It is still C) putting out an absolutely nonsensically excessive amount of bar oil even on the lowest output setting, but I can't see that being too terrible of a problem ripping anyway. Reviews are absolutely spot on - so far seems to be a great saw, IF you're not averse to a little bit of work. Still not entirely sure what the problem was, but if my trial and error is to be believed, it starts with a spark plug gap of 0.02" but not with 0.022", as fucked as that sounds.

I took the full wrap handle off, and now tomorrow I've gotta rebuild the mount to get it onto the sawmill tower, drilling a couple holes thru a 36" bar to bolt it on shouldn't be a big deal....said no one ever.

But, hopefully, with a little reinforcement (I'm using and inch and a half of plywood now instead of 3/4"), I think we're gonna be able to support that fucking hog. Can't wait to run 13,500rpms thru some walnut.

While I fully support your DIY attitude and fortitude, but when it comes to slabbing logs into lumber I usually just go find a pro-shop that does high end wood working and ask them how much to run it thru their millsaw, more often than not they will do it in 20 minutes off the clock for a case of beer. Sometime they will even let you dig in their scrap piles for some nice little bits and pieces you can use for accents.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think I'll do one more like this out of common board before moving on to something nicer. I'm happy with the way this one came together in general, though. First coat of stain is drying. I'll do one more, then some poly and buff.
Screenshot_20220626-183558_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-183608_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-183624_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-183640_Gallery.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
While I fully support your DIY attitude and fortitude, but when it comes to slabbing logs into lumber I usually just go find a pro-shop that does high end wood working and ask them how much to run it thru their millsaw, more often than not they will do it in 20 minutes off the clock for a case of beer. Sometime they will even let you dig in their scrap piles for some nice little bits and pieces you can use for accents.

Nah, it ain't about that at all. That would obviously be the easy way. This is for my kids.

As I get older, I'm spending more time thinking about what I leave behind. No one's gonna remember what I did at work, but my kids are always gonna remember the nightstands and tables that used to be the tree in the backyard. They'll get passed down to their children and tell the story of when grandpa cut down a big ass tree and turned it into family heirlooms.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think I'll do one more like this out of common board before moving on to something nicer. I'm happy with the way this one came together in general, though. First coat of stain is drying. I'll do one more, then some poly and buff.
View attachment 419236View attachment 419237View attachment 419238View attachment 419239
This looks very nice, just be aware though as the wood moves your miters on the boarder might spread a bit. Also not sure if pocket holes to attach the apron to to the top will allow for movement. May cause problems down the road. Then again sometimes wood doesn't move and nothing happens.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This looks very nice, just be aware though as the wood moves your miters on the boarder might spread a bit. Also not sure if pocket holes to attach the apron to to the top will allow for movement. May cause problems down the road. Then again sometimes wood doesn't move and nothing happens.
You saying I should have stuck with dowels?

Edit - the borders are joined to the main boards by a ton of dowels, including one in each of the miters. Not sure if that matters.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
You saying I should have stuck with dowels?

Edit - the borders are joined to the main boards by a ton of dowels, including one in each of the miters. Not sure if that matters.
Might help, might still see a little separation, usually if you want to frame a table you want to use plywood or mdf as a substrate then glue the boards on top. For attaching wood tips is use either

Table Top Fasteners with Screws Silver Heavy Duty Z Clips Table Top Connectors, Set of 36 Packs Amazon.com: Table Top Fasteners with Screws Silver Heavy Duty Z Clips Table Top Connectors, Set of 36 Packs : Office Products

Or

Both allow for movement

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Might help, might still see a little separation, usually if you want to frame a table you want to use plywood or mdf as a substrate then glue the boards on top. For attaching wood tips is use either

Table Top Fasteners with Screws Silver Heavy Duty Z Clips Table Top Connectors, Set of 36 Packs Amazon.com: Table Top Fasteners with Screws Silver Heavy Duty Z Clips Table Top Connectors, Set of 36 Packs : Office Products

Or

Both allow for movement
I mean....it's not really a problem as long as it's not in MY living room, right?

• 4Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've used those figure eight fasteners (generic from Amazon) on several projects. They're great.

I mean....it's not really a problem as long as it's not in MY living room, right?

The wood movement police will be knocking on your door shortly.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The one constant I've experienced about wood movement is that it will move. Some more, some less. It doesn't matter how many dowels or glue or screws you use that pressure wants to go somewhere. Likely it'll just split between your two dowels or screws and then you'll have a crack in the middle of the table. And it moves in between you milling it, and cutting it to final size, then sanding, then sealing. Annoying! But fun because it makes me think and appreciate each part of the design and building process. Constantly and continuously learning and experiencing those things.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well now I'm worried about that resin inlay cracking too, since it goes across joints.

But this table is for a coworker's housewarming present and she's not paying for it, so I'll just see how it holds up and not stress too much.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Well now I'm worried about that resin inlay cracking too, since it goes across joints.

Just as a gentle criticism, wood movement is why most tables are constructed with the grain running in the long direction of the top. The way you've set it up could get 3-4x more shifting than if the grain were oriented the other way. On the other hand, if it's already well-acclimated and going into a similar, climate-controlled environment everything could easily be fine.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just as a gentle criticism, wood movement is why most tables are constructed with the grain running in the long direction of the top. The way you've set it up could get 3-4x more shifting than if the grain were oriented the other way. On the other hand, if it's already well-acclimated and going into a similar, climate-controlled environment everything could easily be fine.
Thanks. I don't mind the criticism at all...that's why I'm posting stuff here. All of this is new to me. As long as you all remember that 99% of my interest really just revolves around "Pretty Maps". The orientation of those planks is the only way I could accomplish it on the laser due to the bed size I'm limited to. Hopefully the new CNC router will help with some of those limitations once I get it up and running. As long as I'm learning more on each project, I'm happy. I've gotten a ton of great advice in here (shoutout to whomever pointed out that I should be using conditioner before staining). And Intrinsic Intrinsic too, for motivating me to prioritize a clean work space. ;) General advice/concepts have been helping a bunch. Skill-based stuff, like making a straight fuckin' cut, are still frustrating. But I'm getting better at the stuff I'm practicing. No improvement on the straight cut stuff though. I keep talking myself out of working on that one because I feel like I need to build a dedicated table for the tablesaw.

But all of this is just about maps for me. So I'm just trying to glean what I can on the woodworking stuff and then put it to practice with my 600,000 random ideas about map stuff.

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Norseman drill bits will drill thru 3.5 chainsaw bars. Just FYI. So, one hole is 25/64" instead of 3/8". Don't forsee that being an issue.

Got the mount reinforced for the new saw, glue setting up now. Should be able to put it together and see if it will run up and down the saw mount tomorrow. Buddy also said he has some very large walnut limbs he had trimmed off I'm welcome to mill as well. Might need to put together a business model for this!

Last edited:

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
IMG_20220630_203206024.jpg

Saw mounted, leveled, ready to rock.

Felt like shit today, so took it easy and only worked 10 hours. I'll fire it up when I get home from work tomorrow and see what we get.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You're the 5th person today that said they felt like shit. Stomach bug kind of feeling?

Yeah, but that's not unusual for me.

I had chronic peptic ulcers for a long time, leading to inflammation in my small intestine which literally ends up blocking my stomach from working. It's probably from a combination of excessive ibuprofen use and excessive caffeine intake. Had to quit caffeine completely about a year ago. I ate last night, didn't feel great, and haven't eaten all day today.

I also transitioned out of the union at work and into management, and because of the holiday, everything is fucking slow because everyone's on vacation. So I'm not *technically* sure I have health insurance at the moment because my job code hasn't changed in the system. Which is probably most of it - just stressed. Me, i'm not worried about. But you know at any time your kid can biff it off their bike and you end up in the ER.

So, whenever you don't have health insurance, what's the best thing to do? Fire up a fucking chainsaw in some jury rigged contraption!

• 1Worf

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
looks like you would need to brace the end of the bar with it being that long

So, I thought that too, but it turns out that it's not actually that springy. Once I level out the 21lb powerhead, all that's left is the natural spring in the bar, which isn't that much. I have this log leftover to run some tests on before I get to the bigger stuff. We'll see how it goes. I mean, it's all getting planed out anyway, so a little off isn't the end of the world.

If it turns out it is substantially wider on the end, I reckon I can just brace up the bar with a stick of appropriate length before the plunge. After the plunge it should be irrelevant...the bar will definitely not droop once it is inside a log.