Woodworking

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Alright woodbrains

I want to make a coffin bookshelf. About 5" high. Plywood sides with edge banding. This is the shape I like.

1607279709805.png

With this being the idea of the final product:
1607279813065.png

Where I'm stuck: How would you attach the joints on there for a nice clean glued up joint? I was thinking of splines at each joint? Angled box joints?

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Alright woodbrains

I want to make a coffin bookshelf. About 5" high. Plywood sides with edge banding. This is the shape I like.

View attachment 321840

View attachment 321841

Where I'm stuck: How would you attach the joints on there for a nice clean glued up joint? I was thinking of splines at each joint? Angled box joints?

Fun project! Could you not just miter the corners? Remember, you're going to gain strength with a solid back, and your shelves will help to hold the sides in place.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Alright woodbrains

View attachment 321840

View attachment 321841

If you do want add splines check out inspire woodcraft, one of his videos is on page 4, he did a couple videos on splines that are easy to follow

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Fun project! Could you not just miter the corners? Remember, you're going to gain strength with a solid back, and your shelves will help to hold the sides in place.
Yeah. I picked up a couple nice sheets of birch plywood. Shelves would work too. Lots to ponder

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My best bet with the tools I have world be a low profile corner brace I think.

Or I suck it up and get a nice router and box joint the corners

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You don't even need a "nice" router. My Kobalt from Home Depot that was like $120 and came with a table has been a champ. I got a few nice bits and it has done everything I need. My down votes on it are 1) No dust collection attachment and 2) Would be easier to have a palm router in some cases.

I still vote for doing a mitre on the corners. Would be a cool project to work out the angles, build a nice jig for cutting and clamping it, and you could do some corner splines on it if you didn't do them across the mitre.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So would any of you guys have any recommendations for a bench top drill press? I was thinking of picking one up. Just something on the smaller side.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My Christmas gift was a Wen 4214. Haven’t had a chance to set it up yet but need it for my next project. Wouldn’t call it small though.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So would any of you guys have any recommendations for a bench top drill press? I was thinking of picking one up. Just something on the smaller side.

I got the floor stand drill press from Harbor Freight about 15 years ago. That thing is a workhorse, nicely adjustable speeds, and was really inexpensive. Unless you're planning to run it a huge amount, I don't recommend anything higher end. I've used the one I have for some pretty precision furniture making.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I got the $130 harbor freight drill press with 20% off coupon. Works well enough. Cover it with a plastic trash bag to keep it clean from dust when not in use.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Alright woodbrains

I don't care how you do the corners, but I hope you get some motion activated gizmo inside it that will begin to moan anytime someone walks by it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've been buying a lot of art prints lately and found that making your own frames is pretty fun and actually is a good exercise of all my woodworking skills up to this point.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did a dry fit yesterday before finish and so glad I did, turns out that it was sitting way too short up in the apron and needed a couple more inches, sooo I made some blocks that are going where the legs attach to move it up, need more clamps, already ordered, cause I have to do one side at a time but I swear I'm gonna have it done by this weekend. Oh and I have to rebuild a drawr again since one was 1/16 out of square files.

20201207_231239.jpg
20201208_182506.jpg
20201208_182511.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
C'mon bro. You know how many times I've cropped my sock feet out of pictures and you're just gonna throw that out there?

If work is reading I always wear PPE!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
C'mon bro. You know how many times I've cropped my sock feet out of pictures and you're just gonna throw that out there?

If work is reading I always wear PPE!
Lol, I always have my boots on when I'm working but was just taking pics, usually it is socks and my thumb.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Don't rip down sheets of ply and try to do finishing cuts while on a work conference call. I know better than this but apparently wasn't paying attention and moved forward while trying to talk and now am like three days behind due to my stupid mistake.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Stained to the color my friend wanted, I was really questioning the choice but it turned out ok, last coat of poly went on this afternoon, gonna let it cure over night put it together and then let it offgas another day, hopefully get it out of the shop Sunday. I hate finishing cause I can't do anything else in the shop till I'm done, need to get started on Christmas cutting boards tomorrow I hope.

20201211_160141.jpg
20201211_160144.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user