World of Warcraft: Classic

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I wouldn't hate a numbers pass to try to tune massively underperforming specs up to at least being mediocre. But a ton of people *would* hate that, even if the "best" classes remained the best. Every Shaman's life goal is to be Nightfall Bitch long enough to scrounge together a Sulfuras and quit the guild to go PVPing.
Give me Unstoppable Force and prenerf windfury and I'll never raid. Thats all you need

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Classic WoW is the worst WoW, can't wait to see millions try this and quit within a day.

• 3Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Classic WoW is the worst WoW, can't wait to see millions try this and quit within a day.
You wholly underestimate the ferocity of the classic crowd. Sure, a lot of wannabes that weren't actually there will make their attempt to survive the cruelty of it, but there's a strong following that are willing to abandon their emulated servers for something that will actually sustain and be around for more than 6 months. Myself included. And to say it was the worst wow is also very shortsighted. It's what made it what it is.

There's a reason emulated classics are hugely popular, why authenticity is key. Just because you don't think it will succeed, or that you may not like it, that it isn't something others might actually want and play, isn't reason enough for it to exist.

The only honest argument available is that they aren't allocating all resources to the existing game and further expansions, or new games is really all there is. And that's fair. But to discount the number of folks willing to dump $15/mo for a classic toon is misguided and ignorant.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Emu beat them to the punch. Classic WoW like 5-6 years ago might have been a great draw but now there's too much difference in QoL and one the most diehard poopsockers will endure 15+ years ago MMO design for something that isn't even new.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Emu may have beat them to the punch but the servers were constantly going down within a month or two and were intensely corrupt so there's plenty of people that just didn't play for that reason. I really honestly wouldn't doubt if classic has like a million viewers on twitch when it's launched. There's an entirely new audience right there, anytime a top streamer talks about classic wow people get excited and kids that were too young to play are going to be trying it out cause some dude on the internet is also doing it.

It's going to breed a whole new population for the game, including people that didn't even know they wanted it. On top of the diehard players that have been playing emu server after emu server since like wotlk, it's going to be a fun month or two ganking literally everybody

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I agree with that for sure. I for one have been interested in playing older versions of WoW and really was tempted when Nostralus or whatever was hyped up. Still I just avoid playing EMU servers really because I never know when they shit is gonna be taken down or some assholes are gonna abuse it in some way. So if Blizzard does the classic WoW I am for sure going to enjoy it even if only for a short period of time.

I think the biggest issue is their glacial pace for this shit. Releasing it in another 5-6 years or whatever speed they pull it out is still 5-6 years to late. They should of cashed in on Classic servers when they were shutting down the main EMU ones.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I've had a classic version and BC version of WOW installed on my system for a good decade, randomly connecting to various available emu servers. The primary reason I haven't invested more time is simply the lack of a server being available for more than 6mo reliably. There have obviously been folks way more crazy than even I have been, raiding Nax on these servers, even at the ultimate risk of losing their time investment when that server is always eventually closed down. I wouldn't mind having a night after a couple months of leveling where I run AQ and Nax to max out a character with 39 others. I've committed more to redundant raids in even the current version of wow.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think plenty of people will play classic wow. It doesn't really have to be an all or nothing kind of thing as if you can only play new wow or classic wow and not both. There were a lot of things to like about classic and it's a great weekend waster kind of game for the people who aren't necessarily clamoring for the older style of MMO design (but will still play now and then) and for the people who have been begging for it for years it's basically the perfect setup.

There is something to be said for having the option to grind out a reward you want. There are a ton of QoL changes that have been added to wow over the years but not all of them are good. In fact, some of them are so terrible that they've essentially ruined certain aspects of gaming completely because of how often they are emulated in other games (Hi Dailies!)

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm one of those who have for a long time lurked in the various WoW/BC Emu threads on these forums for the past decade, secretly admiring those who play them, but myself not trusting the admins (or Bliz takedown notices). I am looking forward to this since some of the best times I had were in Vanilla and BC, though for me Wrath was the pinnacle (hunter volley just murdered all trash in dungeons).

There will probably be a huge influx of people on day one, and probably about half will not see level 40, I'd expect. The rest will slug it out to 60. After that I predict that the WoW classic servers will have low pop right after an expansion or major patch to "regular" WoW, but 3-4 months later will see a steady influx until the next patch, i.e. players dusting off their WoW classic characters once they've geared up their mains on regular.

Now, if Bliz plays their cards right, they'll factor this into their patch cycle, and if they turn WoW classic into a prog server then I'd see them stagger patches on the two versions to complement each other and keep people playing one when the lustre for the other dies down, rinse repeat.

However, knowing Bliz, I'm sure they'll do their hardest to fuck that up! :D

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
If it was spun off from live as a completely separate game with its own sub it would still easily be the second biggest mmo on the market. There are a lot of former players who don’t play the current game because it’s just too different now. They can also include x number of current players who play because there’s no good second option but would rather play the earlier version. Hell, they could release a new game with vanilla-LK mechanics and style and it would be popular, probably more so since it wouldn’t be a play through of previous content.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
So, what about the business plan for this, is everyone assuming it will just be added as a free option to anyone with an active wow subscription?

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Kinda disappointing that they're launching on patch 1.12 tbh, seeing actual patch/raid progression woulda been neat.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Kinda disappointing that they're launching on patch 1.12 tbh, seeing actual patch/raid progression woulda been neat.

Does anyone have a TLDR on what that means? I tried reading those patch notes and I'll be damned if I can put it any kind of context.

Needless

Toe Sucker
1.12 is the last real patch before TBC, so it's already post Naxx/AQ releases

AQ 1.09
Naxx was 1.11

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Im operating under the assumption the players will still need to ring the gong and open the gates for AQ and I don't think anybody will be able to get into Naxx and kill anything without most of the raid in at the very least BWL gear. Guilds may be able to do MC and BWL right away but the game itself should stall progression into AQ and Naxx without needing a patch progression.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
You wholly underestimate the ferocity of the classic crowd. Sure, a lot of wannabes that weren't actually there will make their attempt to survive the cruelty of it, but there's a strong following that are willing to abandon their emulated servers for something that will actually sustain and be around for more than 6 months. Myself included. And to say it was the worst wow is also very shortsighted. It's what made it what it is.

There's a reason emulated classics are hugely popular, why authenticity is key. Just because you don't think it will succeed, or that you may not like it, that it isn't something others might actually want and play, isn't reason enough for it to exist.

The only honest argument available is that they aren't allocating all resources to the existing game and further expansions, or new games is really all there is. And that's fair. But to discount the number of folks willing to dump $15/mo for a classic toon is misguided and ignorant.

Can't wait to see the classic people still complain about it. The same ones who bitch and moan now with rose-colored glasses, who play it again and find faults thinking it's still not the same thing. Screw you blizzard, how dare you not do it exactly how my inaccurate nostalgia remembers it!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you don't get to enjoy 6+ versions of Vael in BWL including the mind vision one then it isn't classic. Not being able to do (or not having to do) 40 man UBRS key runs is not classic. Dire Maul or Silithus quest lines on launch with a laundry list of other changes by 1.12 is not going to be an accurate vanilla experience.

You'll be hearing within the release week how the emus did it better. Hell you can't even do buddy system Admiral's Hat ever with 1.12