World of Warcraft: Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am with you the pace of this thing is glacial. I feel like it would of been better to not mention it at all than to hype it up and then not do anything with it for years.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's really fuckin' weird they didn't keep their original source code, and digital assets. Like, we have code archives more than 20 years old where I work "just in case"... someone has to have some of the pre-compiled data. From that job posting, it looks like they're trying to re-invent their own wheel, or draw up "original assets" from scratch.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's really fuckin' weird they didn't keep their original source code, and digital assets. Like, we have code archives more than 20 years old where I work "just in case"... someone has to have some of the pre-compiled data. From that job posting, it looks like they're trying to re-invent their own wheel, or draw up "original assets" from scratch.
Though really I bet a lot of the work involves database translation which is annoying as fuck work, tedious, can be very time consuming and entirely manual. Fortunately the number of mobs, abilities, etc, is fairly finite compared to the current game. Though reverse translating the current math applied to abilities to reflect their original equations could potentially be a cluster fuck. Depending on how they implement things.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

Using 15 year old code isn't the solution.

Wasn't their whole dev post how modern hardware (e.g., their servers, your 16-core 512GB VRAM pc) and modern software (e.g., their anti-cheat/CSR tools, your Windows 10) offer too many compromises?

They're doing the same thing the EQ team has done with their progression servers. Keep everything client-side modern, strip things out only when needed, and rework the server-side stuff to make it work.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It's really fuckin' weird they didn't keep their original source code, and digital assets.
But they did. If you read the entire post announcing the 1.12, they even explain that the original code crashes a lot on new video cards. Which meant they had to decide between trying to fix the old code, or running the game on the new codebase (which is the way they're going).

But... the new codebase has probably quite a few incompatibilities with old data (the blog post even shows how database structure is completely different), which means a dedicated programmer to retrofit the 2018 wow.exe/wow.app

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
1) Its not 100% classic. Lots of bitching and epenis battles over what is classic and what mechanics don't work properly.

2) most emus all use the same build that i imagine was cobbled together years ago, with slight modifications.

3) EMUs don't worry about q/a or need to meet legal standards.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I started right as TBC came out, so still original level curve

I'm not sure about this. I thought they nerfed 1 - 60 when TBC launched. They also buffed up some of the zones with more quests IIRC.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
By the time TBC was out there were a lot more quests in the old world and it required far less travel/grinding to hit max level. Not sure on if they had nerfed the needed exp to get to 60 at that point.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
If you aren't one of the top 25 for a server you were/are a total scrub

Web Archive - unofficial first to 60

Skanda Skanda
Brahma Brahma

1530017736177.png

I still have nightmares fighting Rend in BGs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
They still have the old code. They switched to git a few years ago, which was painful, but they like it now.

I hate git

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
They run on their own custom written stuff.

If they properly stole Blizzard's code, they'd never go in "development" mode.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure about this. I thought they nerfed 1 - 60 when TBC launched. They also buffed up some of the zones with more quests IIRC.

2.3 is when that reduction happened iirc.

Experience to level

Now, yeah, places like winterspring and sithilus did have more quests. It was still like hitting a dearth of quests at around 55. Not like before. And I just had to get 58 and hit Outland.

I still recall grinding SM and BRD at times due to having to skip around the world for a new hub. And HFP was dangerous as hell to a fresh 58 wearing shitty “of the Soldier” greens.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I was talking to a buddy of mine recently about when EQ did the same "back to the original game" content release and was surprised to hear about how badly they executed it. His big beef was how they didn't get the feel of EQ classic right.

Anyone else have similar perspective?