World of Warcraft: Classic

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Well EQ (Formerly Sony, now Daybreak) has never actually attempted to make a classic server. They did the combine/sleeper servers back in the summer of 2006, but they were progression servers where the next expansion unlocked when all the "achievements" of the current expansion had been completed.

They have since done quite a few progression servers, but all of them since have been Time-locked progression servers (TLPs). So they have never made a classic "back to the original game" kind of server, so I'm not surprised at all that your buddy was disappointed, if that was what he was hoping for.

If you go into Vanilla WoW hoping for the "back to original game" feel and "nostalgia", you will be setting yourself up for extreme disappointment. It is impossible to recreate that feeling or environment. Even if you could copy exactly the same game from 2004 and let people log in and play it today, it would still not be the same feeling simply due to the knowledge and resources of the community.

That's not to say it won't be enjoyable or successful. Vanilla WoW is going to be wildly successful. You just have to go into it with the right frame of mind, or you might end up being disappointed.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Also, as was typical for EQ development, the EverQuest TLP teams were reactive instead of proactive.

Back in 2006 the game hadn't evolved too much from its 1999-2002 roots. Just limiting zones was a reasonable facsimile to classic, though things were easier. Through the years as EverQuest has grown and changed, just limiting zone access wasn't enough because players were doing triple the damage they used to, pet damage had been quadrupled, and people learned how to play the meta game (e.g., shadowknight army to harmtouch any boss to death) so the EQ team has put bandaid on top of bandaid to keep the cash cow alive. It's not classic, they aren't billing it as classic, but it's a nostalgia trip with some hurdles to prevent it from becoming too easy.

Blizzard is undertaking something totally different. If Classic WoW were EQ TLP, then there would be no weapon skill-ups, no need to go to your class trainer, ability to switch specs on the fly, etc. etc. all the nice quality of life changes that have happened throughout the years and you'd have to play in the current WoW zones (i.e., Cata revamp versions). Classic WoW seems its intent is a facsimile to 1.12, not current patch neutered to classic zones/races/classes.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Join Us At BlizzCon 2018

You'll be able to play a WoW Classic demo at home with the virtual ticket.

Just call me up when you need me to mind control fools into the lava @ Blackrock.

444C3909-CEF2-4CF7-870B-E810E1D85997.gif

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

I wonder if they’ll keep pre-nerf Hakkar disease in game. The plague “event” was awesome lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's based on 1.12 so assume any fixes present there will be in.

This is gonna suck by the way and if you buy a blizzcon ticket to play a 6 day demo you're retarded

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Wow classic will last a month or two before it becomes a ghost town

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wow classic will last a month or two before it becomes a ghost town

Not if the world PVP is back in biz but you could be right. TBA open world is super fun.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The only people I could see wanting to buy into the beta are the ones that never played during Vanilla.

Asmongold was saying earlier today there were no PVP servers at launch which is totally wrong. I suspect more and more he didn't play the game at release because he also thinks Rag will be beat Day 1 which is impossible.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I will play Classic because I want to see Naxx 40. Never got the chance the first time around.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I am all for playing Classic and looking forward to it. If it's a separate sub then that might dissuade me some, but if it is part of the regular sub then I see no reason not to have a character there to play and have fun with. I will enjoy running the old content. At the same time paying Blizzard $50 for a V. ticket to beta stress test this bullshit and do 10 collect bear ass quests seems dumb as fuck to me. Who the fuck cares about some 6 day beta bullshit for classic? These pieces of shit must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for shit to present at Blizzcon.

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I will play Classic because I want to see Naxx 40. Never got the chance the first time around.

I can sum that up for you nicely. Get 40 cats. Throw them in a bathtub. Then try and teach them to do the Charleston. All the while they meowing because aren't all special snowflakes. They think they are...and want your undivided attention.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Cybsled

I did and fell asleep during the endless trash clears. My guild (Drow/BoTS in EQ1...our Eq1 refugees from the BFA merged with them in wow vanilla) kicked me off the raid team after I said that during raid lol. It was around that time I figured the raiding as a job I did since eq1 sucked and went casual. They booted me in TBC :p

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm not saying I'll enjoy it. But I'm gonna see it goddammit.

• 1Solidarity

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I think folks that play it casually will easily get 6 months out of it no problem. If you're going to poopsock it then yea, likely won't be a ton of value.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I went from raiding seriously 5+ days a week in EQ into the same thing with Vanilla WoW. We only got the first 3 or so bosses before we imploded right before the drop of TBC. I then left for a pvp server I had been playing on part time, Frostmane and was a healing officer in a casual raid guild that never got particularly far but meant far more to me than my Vanilla guild. We then broke up again for the next expansion as people were burning out. I pretty much never raided again. Life has been good.