World of Warcraft: Classic

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
any addons like lazypig // classic snowfall?

lazypig jus allowed you to demount by jus pressing another key instead of actually having to hit your keybind again for your mount

and classic snowfall allowed for skills to be cast on "key press" instead of waiting for you to release the key to cast

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Remember, the problems didn't start with Cata, MoP or WoD. They started with TBC.

WOW Vanilla was already the beginning of Blizzard rushing out a game rather than fully polishing it. As we know today, many horde zones were rushed out because the time was up. The same thing happened throughout TBC, that is why the TBC zones are completely devoid of landmarks and PoI. Blade's Edge mountains? Ugh. What a boring, 1 color zone. Instead of being rushed out like some vanilla zones however, those zones apparently were planned to be finished in considerably less time to begin with.

Flying Mounts obviously are a controversial subject, but the effects it had on the world can hardly be denied. The moment you get yours, travel is irrelevant, you don't even bother with flight masters anymore and the idea of "dangerous zones" goes away completely.

Also in TBC the dungeon design of Maraudon-style dungeons was completely abandoned and the short tunnel dungeon meta took place. Did you run the first hellfire citadel dungeon? Congratulations, you've run every single TBC dungeon. They all go the same: Press W, kill boss, Press W, kill boss, Press W, kill final boss. Dungeon over, GG. But why is that? Well, my guess is you can shit out 10 tunnel dungeons in the time it takes you to design one Maraudon. Which is why TBC has so many of them, but are is any of them memorable in any way?

Also TBC immediately rendered a ton of old content completely obsolete. Strat Scholo and the entire Blackrock mountain? Irrelevant. Raid zones? The loot doesn't hold up to level 65+ blues. Not worth the time anymore. Of course that was "just" all the old level 60 vanilla content, but every expansion did the same thing. WoW today is 80% dead content.

TBC was still wildly succesful, because those issues were nothing compared to what SOE pushed on people in EQ and we hadn't forgotten just yet. When you come out of an abusive relationship after five years, it doesn't really bother you that much when the new SO shows a few minor bad habits after a year or two.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 3 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'll admit, I'm pretty much all BIS except for robes and neck (which I'll never get cause caster prio) so ultimately I'm done with the game but.. I want to keep playing. I want to keep logging on, not even to play alts either.

Haven't had this feeling in quite a while.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I have good memories of TBC. Not even gonna lie.

DId the dungeon design take a major complexity hit? Yes.

Did flying mounts ruin world pvp? Yes.

Did I love every fucking minute of TBC and its world design? Yes.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
At least world design in TBC had content that was necessary to have flying mounts for, having you have the need to achieve flying and actually be able to open up an entire new style of gameplay that we didn't have before. Wrath had this as well to a lesser extent, like all the ulduar 5mans, naxx, etc.

Flying the last several expansions has felt pretty retarded. You can get to raids faster and that's about it.

• 1Solidarity

Argarth

On the verandah
I have good memories of TBC. Not even gonna lie.

DId the dungeon design take a major complexity hit? Yes.

Did flying mounts ruin world pvp? Yes.

Did I love every fucking minute of TBC and its world design? Yes.

I'll never forget the first time I stepped through the Dark Portal. I was completely blown away by the world they'd created, and finally the addiction was complete. When all of that was brand new, I thought of little else in my free time except getting home and logging in. Dungeon design, yeah... doubt the thought ever crossed my mind.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Thats what I always hated about WOW, each expansion made my raid gear obsolete and equivalents available in 5 mans. At least in EQ I was still somewhat superior until people raided the new content.

Dark portal was pretty sweet, when does kazzak come out? I remember knockin heads with the empyrean demolisher in pvp on my rogue!

• 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'll never forget the first time I stepped through the Dark Portal. I was completely blown away by the world they'd created, and finally the addiction was complete. When all of that was brand new, I thought of little else in my free time except getting home and logging in. Dungeon design, yeah... doubt the thought ever crossed my mind.

Dodging that giant elite robot that wandered that TBC starting zone to do the quests which, admittedly, are grindy as fuck, but goddamn

I LOVED Burning Crusade, its raid content, its world design, the dailies. Everything about the place.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Dodging that giant elite robot that wandered that TBC starting zone to do the quests which, admittedly, are grindy as fuck, but goddamn

I LOVED Burning Crusade, its raid content, its world design, the dailies. Everything about the place.

The Fel Reaver, yeah, that was a great touch. Got caught by that bastard more times than I'm happy to admit. My favourite expansion. So many fond gaming/guild memories.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Thats what I always hated about WOW, each expansion made my raid gear obsolete and equivalents available in 5 mans. At least in EQ I was still somewhat superior until people raided the new content.

Dark portal was pretty sweet, when does kazzak come out? I remember knockin heads with the empyrean demolisher in pvp on my rogue!

This one is place I feel like EQ was still better than WoW. All of EQ's old content was still pretty relevant and worth doing even when new expansions came out. It kind of added on to the game's content, rather than make everything else obsolete.

• 3Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The Fel Reaver, yeah, that was a great touch. Got caught by that bastard more times than I'm happy to admit. My favourite expansion. So many fond gaming/guild memories.

The fel reaver captured the same thing that was great about EQ - there was giant shit out there, and you were just working around. Everyone remembers when the Hill Giant in the commonlands smashed them. Everyone. Everyone remembers the Griffin. They remember Kithicor at night.

The world is a dangerous place, and danger isn't bad. Danger makes for great stories and makes for a memorable experience.

• 2Truth!
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Well I'm an idiot - it should have been the first thing I considered before rolling a character on Whitemane. When FoH goes off to raid it's 11am here. Guess the nostalgia and the desire to guild up with some friendlies, put my left brain to sleep, lol.

Raiding just isn't going to be possible, and the more I think about it, playing Classic doesn't really make sense to me if I can't raid. Doubly a shame, because I was watching that last Rag&Onyxia video that Sebudai Sebudai posted, and listening to some of the chat afterwards - you guys sound like a chill bunch. Oh well, no harm done. Best of luck to you all.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
TBC was still wildly succesful, because those issues were nothing compared to what SOE pushed on people in EQ and we hadn't forgotten just yet. When you come out of an abusive relationship after five years, it doesn't really bother you that much when the new SO shows a few minor bad habits after a year or two.
That is such a victim's mindset. They made a badass game that most of us loved. It wasn't perfect, not because the devs are incompetent or corrupt, just because it was made by people. That goes for EQ and WOW. They made a shit ton of mistakes, some of which the industry learned from, many they did not. Framing it as an abusive relationship is silly and overplayed. Its only funny if people dont actually believe it.

If it sucks we stop paying for it. Most of us anyway

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The fel reaver captured the same thing that was great about EQ - there was giant shit out there, and you were just working around. Everyone remembers when the Hill Giant in the commonlands smashed them. Everyone. Everyone remembers the Griffin. They remember Kithicor at night.

The world is a dangerous place, and danger isn't bad. Danger makes for great stories and makes for a memorable experience.

Yes, this is a great example of something lost over the years. I also miss shit like Raid bosses blocking zones like Rumblecrush or Sontalak that is something I wish WoW could do again. You faggots want in X zone well you need to kill Dicknuts or sit around and beg your raiding guild to kill it so you shit mongers can get in and xp.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Argarth

On the verandah

Reminded me of some real butt-clenching moments when I first started playing FFXI, always in fear of losing xp or even down-leveling.

Running (late for the party) through Valkurm Dunes, being chased by a Gobbie, and screaming over Vent for one of the higher levels to come and save me. Fishing solo in Le Theine Plateau at barely appropriate level, the rain begins, and the elementals come out to play. Being chased by an Orc train all the way from Ghelsba Outpost to San Doria, with a sliver of health, stopping several times just long enough to get off a quick Cure (WHM), and keep running, only to die with the doorstep of the City in sight. Damn that game used to raise my heart rate!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm still enjoying the game although I can admit to some burn out setting in. That being said, it is 100% my fault because I have played every class available on the Horde side so far on my server. My highest level right now is an Undead Warlock at level 28.

I'll probably put some more time in to it this weekend of course. I'd like to get the warlock in to his 30s at least.
Lol, I don't have every class, but 4 of them, and I was feeling the same way. Just have to get re-invigorated with a certain class, or something to keep yourself going.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Reminded me of some real butt-clenching moments when I first started playing FFXI, always in fear of losing xp or even down-leveling.

Running (late for the party) through Valkurm Dunes, being chased by a Gobbie, and screaming over Vent for one of the higher levels to come and save me. Fishing solo in Le Theine Plateau at barely appropriate level, the rain begins, and the elementals come out to play. Being chased by an Orc train all the way from Ghelsba Outpost to San Doria, with a sliver of health, stopping several times just long enough to get off a quick Cure (WHM), and keep running, only to die with the doorstep of the City in sight. Damn that game used to raise my heart rate!
Boat is here, time to go hide under deck and hope you don't die to some random kraken shit someone is inevitably going to fish out. Your sneak oil/invis powder are about to run out and you're in the middle of a bunch of monsters deep in a dungeon, better find a safe spot in the next 15seconds.

I didn't play EQ much at all(still remember that griffin shit killing me in that green plain place at lvl 10 or whatever though) but yeah XI was also filled with this shit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Remember, the problems didn't start with Cata, MoP or WoD. They started with TBC.

WOW Vanilla was already the beginning of Blizzard rushing out a game rather than fully polishing it. As we know today, many horde zones were rushed out because the time was up. The same thing happened throughout TBC, that is why the TBC zones are completely devoid of landmarks and PoI. Blade's Edge mountains? Ugh. What a boring, 1 color zone. Instead of being rushed out like some vanilla zones however, those zones apparently were planned to be finished in considerably less time to begin with.

Flying Mounts obviously are a controversial subject, but the effects it had on the world can hardly be denied. The moment you get yours, travel is irrelevant, you don't even bother with flight masters anymore and the idea of "dangerous zones" goes away completely.

Also in TBC the dungeon design of Maraudon-style dungeons was completely abandoned and the short tunnel dungeon meta took place. Did you run the first hellfire citadel dungeon? Congratulations, you've run every single TBC dungeon. They all go the same: Press W, kill boss, Press W, kill boss, Press W, kill final boss. Dungeon over, GG. But why is that? Well, my guess is you can shit out 10 tunnel dungeons in the time it takes you to design one Maraudon. Which is why TBC has so many of them, but are is any of them memorable in any way?

Also TBC immediately rendered a ton of old content completely obsolete. Strat Scholo and the entire Blackrock mountain? Irrelevant. Raid zones? The loot doesn't hold up to level 65+ blues. Not worth the time anymore. Of course that was "just" all the old level 60 vanilla content, but every expansion did the same thing. WoW today is 80% dead content.

I dont think WOW devs ever wanted world pvp to be a thing because every time it happened in some scale, it was a fucking laaag fest. This is why the flying mounts were a win/win for them. Also pushed everyone into the BGs/arena where they wanted all the pvp to happen.

I also agree on the dungeon design. The problem with vanilla sprawling dungeons was the time required to run them, but the thing is, if you dont have time to run one, then dont fucking run it. Dont ruin it for the rest of the people which love that type of dungeon design. The TBC era design basically made them all 30-45 min loot pinatas. At least they gave us hard mode, but still dungeon design was shit.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Ideally you would have a mix of both. The quick short dungeons and the long ones. With all the best loot in the longer harder ones.