World of Warcraft: Classic

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
where is everyone playing? still trying to decide if i wanna play or not, at this point in my life i jus dont see myself playing 12-16 hours a day like i used to at 16 years old.

The forum guild is on the sexist of servers, Whitemane. It's a PvP server and the guild chose Horde.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
T TecKnoe , remember to hit up Crone Crone and Daidraco Daidraco for all of your botting needs. It's more important this time around since, as you said, you don't have 12-16 hours per day to play(yet still botted for some reason).

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Layering should also be a load balancing tech, why it's not makes no goddamn sense. There shouldn't be queues - that they're even stating there will be is terrible, stupid, and ridiculous given modern server tech. They'll probably "fix" things the same way they did back in the day by opening too many goddamn servers that results in a bunch of dead servers that they have to join later. Let server density play out, keep layering until its not needed when the player base levels out.

My only opposition to layering is not seeing 5000 people standing around Ironforge or whatever. What their network and servers can handle should be the cap. If there's not 10000 assholes in Silithus during the opening of the AQ gate, I'm gonna be pissed. For questing areas it's fine, because fighting 2000 people to tag a mob is fucking annoying, though also part of the charm of the original game. Forces you to group, communicate and coordinate with other players.
I'm surprised that an engineer wouldn't understand the effect of not having a queue

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Downloaded the 1.12 client, and got Elysium server going to try out a few things. Rolled up each of the 4 classes I was considering, and will probably roll up more just try them out.

Priest - Pretty straight forward, but was fun multi-dotting with SW:p and then just popping a heal on myself to stay alive and watching them all fall over. This probably won't be very viable or even able to do it on Classic due to massive population. Having heals though was pretty awesome to use as a tool to level faster. Mana management was easy and maybe drank 1 time?

Mage - The most boring of the ones I've tried so far, despite their power later on. No "tricks" to play, just Frostbolt, Fireball, Fireball, drink. Spells hit hard though, and shit dies quick. Just little things, but it was nice starting off with a staff that could melee for 5 damage.

Warlock - Was nice getting Immolate at level 2 to mix things up. Instant cast SW:p from Priests is way cooler though. Having the Imp helps out a lot of course, and then getting Corruption is OP. Once Voidwalker kicks in, and you get Drain Life for a little bit of healing, along with healthstones, I think Warlocks just will have so many tools at their disposal it'll be fun.

Hunter - Just like mage, it was nice starting with a 5 damage hitter Axe. Went Tauren, but then read up on things and would go Troll if I was actually going Hunter due to racials. Dead zone sucks ass, and Raptor Strike is super weak. No surprise there. Once you have a pet, and you can just range everything down that's where Hunter obviously shines and is the mega super awesome leveler everyone knows. Of the ones I tried, Hunter was the only one that I felt like it was too early to tell.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I feel like you didn't get high enough to fully justify your thoughts. I feel like classes don't open up until 15

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you choose a naughty name do they suspend you or just give you the option to change it?

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I feel like you didn't get high enough to fully justify your thoughts. I feel like classes don't open up until 15

Completely agree. Some classes don't open up until much later than even 15. Druid for instance doesn't have all its forms, Priest doesn't have shadow form, etc. Many talents and abilities change classes quite a bit and can even change the overall feel of the class.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't disagree with you or misery, but I was trying to not make end game statements or final statements on the class. I guess I did a little, but I kept my low level in mind. I don't feel like I'm really any closer to picking a class, which is unfortunate. Lol

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
T TecKnoe , remember to hit up Crone Crone and Daidraco Daidraco for all of your botting needs. It's more important this time around since, as you said, you don't have 12-16 hours per day to play(yet still botted for some reason).

im pretty sure this time around they will be cracking down hard on that, and you seem to think i botted my way through classic, i did that at the end when i had BiS and nothing else to do so botting and getting an alt lvld while i farmed or did stuff on my warlock or whatever toon it was ok with me since leveling in vanilla is the worst and yeah i needed anherb/alch bot so i did what i did

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
you dont see the pros of having a bot farm mats for you, while you concentrate on gearing your main toon? idk what to tell you bud i was already 60 and playing for years, you act like its something i did during release, nah i did that shit when i came back periodically and had to catch up

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised that an engineer wouldn't understand the effect of not having a queue
If you've got a server farm that can handle 10mil active users, the only bottle neck is the login servers. With layering, you're splitting utilization across a server farm, rather than having a single unit handle all of the traffic (and even then, some fancy hardware and code can attenuate this, too). Database lag can be equally distributed across multiple mirrored database farms.

We use backend queues for several things on server farms not intended for mass, continuous utilization. e.g. You push out a product promotion and expect several thousands of users to place orders at the same time, the order system and manufacturing facilities can only handle so much, so they're queued up. Doesn't stop users from placing orders.

Explain to me how a queue benefits the end user here, when tech is available to circumvent and balance active utilization.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Downloaded the 1.12 client, and got Elysium server going to try out a few things. Rolled up each of the 4 classes I was considering, and will probably roll up more just try them out.

Priest - Pretty straight forward, but was fun multi-dotting with SW:p and then just popping a heal on myself to stay alive and watching them all fall over. This probably won't be very viable or even able to do it on Classic due to massive population. Having heals though was pretty awesome to use as a tool to level faster. Mana management was easy and maybe drank 1 time?

Mage - The most boring of the ones I've tried so far, despite their power later on. No "tricks" to play, just Frostbolt, Fireball, Fireball, drink. Spells hit hard though, and shit dies quick. Just little things, but it was nice starting off with a staff that could melee for 5 damage.

Warlock - Was nice getting Immolate at level 2 to mix things up. Instant cast SW:p from Priests is way cooler though. Having the Imp helps out a lot of course, and then getting Corruption is OP. Once Voidwalker kicks in, and you get Drain Life for a little bit of healing, along with healthstones, I think Warlocks just will have so many tools at their disposal it'll be fun.

Hunter - Just like mage, it was nice starting with a 5 damage hitter Axe. Went Tauren, but then read up on things and would go Troll if I was actually going Hunter due to racials. Dead zone sucks ass, and Raptor Strike is super weak. No surprise there. Once you have a pet, and you can just range everything down that's where Hunter obviously shines and is the mega super awesome leveler everyone knows. Of the ones I tried, Hunter was the only one that I felt like it was too early to tell.
Oh man, it's like an actual rpg, where the class at an early stage doesn't represent its capability or funfactor long term. Jesus christ, you're a goddamn genius.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
oh warrior definitely was the huge fucking pain right on level 5 already that I remember. Especially since some clown at Blizzard decided back then to put a 2h AXE on the final newbie Quest for Taurens and I still had to use my level 0 scrub hammer in Bloodhoof Village.

If servers are really *this* full, it's definitely a blessing and a curse. regarding the whole ever-repeating dungeon finder and LFD discussion, those tools aren't even that convenient when there's so many players around that it doesn't take 30 minutes to fill up a group.

On the other hand, good luck with Arcane Crystals and those rare flowers when you have 30 people competing with you at any time.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
oh warrior definitely was the huge fucking pain right on level 5 already that I remember. Especially since some clown at Blizzard decided back then to put a 2h AXE on the final newbie Quest for Taurens and I still had to use my level 0 scrub hammer in Bloodhoof Village.

If servers are really *this* full, it's definitely a blessing and a curse. regarding the whole ever-repeating dungeon finder and LFD discussion, those tools aren't even that convenient when there's so many players around that it doesn't take 30 minutes to fill up a group.

On the other hand, good luck with Arcane Crystals and those rare flowers when you have 30 people competing with you at any time.

Inv to new layer, farm em up

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
That's really the mistake that set this in motion. Even with the improvements in technology since 2006 I don't think anyone looked at that server list and thought it was plenty. I'd bet my hat that they are also substantially underestimating how many people are going to just show up around launch or on that first weekend.
10k people is "massively overpopulated".

There are over 100k subscribers to the classicwow subreddit, but they don't even have ten servers