World of Warcraft: Classic

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I can't do shift/control 6+ because the reach is too far to do fast on pure touch. Realistically I have 1-6 bound, ctrl and shift 1-5, then some ctrl and alt letter keys around the movement keys. But I don't bind movement keys to modifiers because that definitely fucks up a lot while passively holding a modifier down prepping for an ability usage and then having to move.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I have redefined Q and E as well as ^ (which is the upper left key on a german keyboard) and < Y X (which are the keys right of the left shift key) in a hotkey setup. Works well, especially in combination with Alt and Shift, which are my modifiers:
View attachment 223575

What surprised me was that "Shift-W" and "Shift-S" also work really well.
I don't bind alt or shift, because it requires moving my pinky instead of my thumb; I only use alt as a modifier for QWERASDFZXC

I also remapped 6 thru = from default bindings to one of RFTGZXCV and tilde.

If stuff gets crazy, I will install the logitech software actually utilize the 12 buttons it provides.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Asmon's MC raid yesterday with the Ret paladin drama was fairly entertaining.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Some of the shit in classic is hysterical. Like as a Rogue cheap shotting a mob out of stealth and it still hitting you once before it gets stunned.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I don't bind alt or shift, because it requires moving my pinky instead of my thumb
I was the same at first, but then I remapped my Caps Lock to F13 with an utility I promptly forgot (I think it was SharpKeys) and used that as PushToTalk/Mic Toggle for Discord. Awkward at first, but after a while you get used to the pinky sliding up and down between Ctrl/Shift/Caps Lock. it's just muscle memory.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Lots of good tips, thanks! Need to take a look at modifiers too. I tried a G600, but I ended up only using the "front" six side keys and the "back" ones were too awkard. It was also a bit wonky. Wouldn't mind getting a new mouse, but my decade old G5 just works so well lol.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
1 2 3 4 Q E Z X C R F ~ M4 M5
Shift, Ctrl, and Alt modifiers that are comfortable to use (bad ones can cause wrist strain)
Rebind your mouse dpi switch button that you never use to M for map in every game
Rebind capslock to something else on a system level and use that for something else, or a push-to-talk key
Shift + mwheel up/down
Try to make your binds fit a pattern across your characters to help muscle memory. AOE's always on C for example
Study how your left hand is moving while playing, specifically how the wrist is twisting. We're all getting old and shit like alt + z is bad for your wrist.
Also try to avoid binds that make you take your finger away from W (or E if you're a freak) so you don't sacrifice movement when you also need to select something with your mouse

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
SO I guess a blue post was posted about the DDOS attack, the dude has been apprehended, lulz.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
My jump button didn't work 1 time in there but I still someone made it across just by running, lol. Good memories, tho, with that jump back in the day.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
A quick general question about keybindings and movement, not just for WoW classic, but WoW in general (and I suppose most MMOs):

I've long been wondering about changing my movement keybindings. Since forever I've had the standard QWEASD for all movement, but in truth, with right click turning and L+Rclick forward moving, the only buttons I use are Q and E for strafing, and very, very occasionally S for backwards. I have therefore been wondering about reassigning at least AWD, and possibly even the other three. I could, for example, map the two side buttons to strafing. Do I ever need to walk backwards? I could then map the movement keys to abilities I use most.

What have you folks done? Anyone tried this either in WoW or other MMOs?

I switched to mouse movement in original WoW and have been using it ever since - in every single game. I strafe with my thumb with the two side mouse buttons and have everything hotkeyed to access with my left hand. I played warrior from 2004 and onward and i found that switching and freeing my left hand allowed me to stance dance extremely efficiently. You can bind 'move back' to anything really, but you'll rarely use it.

My switch was radical especially considering i was using keyboard turning in EQ for years. But i PVPd a bunch and needed to switch immediately.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I've started walking in place when waiting on flight paths and have lost 5 pounds since this game has been out kek

• 1Worf

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've stuck with SZXC for over 20 years now. Used to be a fairly popular choice back in the LAN party days, until everyone jumped on the WASD bandwagon.

SZXC makes it easier to reach shift, ctrl and alt for me. Also, if you look closely the rows aren't all offset the same way. You have to move your fingertip more to go from D to R than to go from C to F.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I don't use my mouse at all and hold my keyboard as a keytar to play.

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You can't swap raid groups in combat in Classic, which is something that could be done in Vanilla. It's a big nerf to shaman and horde and should be fixed. I'd complain about it on the official forums but I am banned.

I tanked for most of my dungeon groups, although it doesn't work as well past level 50.

You got banned from classic?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've just bound sinister strike, eviscerate and S&D to my old guitar hero guitar. Nothing better than shredding your way up the dps meters

• 3Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 3 users