World of Warcraft: Current Year

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Paladin is the sleeper tank of the expansion. xzi xzi has talked about it too, but their kit is very good for everything all around.

If you ONLY do m+ then VDH will pull ahead. Same as if you only raid BRM will pull ahead. Paladin is the more versatile of the 3.

Notice I didn't mention any other classes
Yea, it'd be M+ only. I'd switch back to DPS for my casual raids.

Are Prot Paladins still insane with the self healing? I remember in Legion that being a pretty big thing for them? xzi xzi

xzi

Mouthbreather
Their self heal is extremely strong the lower HP you are, but the problem is it's now on a 17 sec CD (which is annoying, but can be reduced slightly with a talent when you shield block) AND it's on the GCD now. I'm still not used to. It's actually the only thing I fucking hate about prot is that Light of the Protector is on the GCD. I will never get used to it and I will never fucking like it especially since it's a defensive ability it makes no sense with the rest of their design philosophy of tanks.

Also paladin has a combination of talents where they can always keep their defensives up now, like the rest of the tanks. When it was literally impossible during Legion.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you aren't pushing world first key levels any tank is going to be fine at m+, though VDH will alwaus have an edge

Crone

I've done Balance/Resto Druid, Ele/Resto Shaman, and Mist/WW Monk through the same beginning quest chains in Nazmir for comparison sake. Now doing it with Prot Paladin. All at level 110. Really curious how it feels to quest as a Tank.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Speaking of horrible tanking experiences tried a Tol Dagon this week with Tyranical + Necrotic and I felt powerless verse that first boss. The boss has periods where it would clear but I would always get clipped by one add fucking me. Granted I have only ran that zone twice so my experience there is limited but goddamn did it feel like untested shit design.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Also Blizzard made the new BoEs 120 instead of 111 as we all know and I would guess part of this was to prevent those geared out characters from power leveling instances since Bliz hates fun shit that doesn't fit their play the game this way parameters. Still with the new way islands work and how beefy a 110 can get with the scaling I bet you could make a baller 110 tank/dps who could 3-4 those things for baller ass xp; I might set one up and charge cunt 10-20k a run to afk level and get shots at mounts.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've done Balance/Resto Druid, Ele/Resto Shaman, and Mist/WW Monk through the same beginning quest chains in Nazmir for comparison sake. Now doing it with Prot Paladin. All at level 110. Really curious how it feels to quest as a Tank.
I levelled as brewmaster, felt.really good until about 116 when everything goes through S H I T

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Islands are the best way to level right now. They are faster then quest grinding/instance queuing if you have rested and only marginally slower without. Plus you get the mount/xmog drops and depending on the server you are on and its AH you can get 120 in 8-10 hours and have upwards of 500k worth of stuff to sell on the AH. run some normals at max or use 10k gold to buy blue 320 boe's and you are good to go at max.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Speaking of horrible tanking experiences tried a Tol Dagon this week with Tyranical + Necrotic and I felt powerless verse that first boss. The boss has periods where it would clear but I would always get clipped by one add fucking me. Granted I have only ran that zone twice so my experience there is limited but goddamn did it feel like untested shit design.

That is the hardest necrotic boss in the game. Its severely overtuned for Necrotic. Adds spawn way too fast.

Crone

I levelled as brewmaster, felt.really good until about 116 when everything goes through S H I T
What happens at 116? I'm loving it so far. It's amazing, and I'm blasting through quests, because I do the typical mount up, round up a ton, and mow it all down. It's GREAT! Best leveling experience so far. Then my 116 buddy came on and wanted to do a dungeon, and so we instant queued for a Normal, and did that. It's just been a night and day experience so far.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
What happens at 116? I'm loving it so far. It's amazing, and I'm blasting through quests, because I do the typical mount up, round up a ton, and mow it all down. It's GREAT! Best leveling experience so far. Then my 116 buddy came on and wanted to do a dungeon, and so we instant queued for a Normal, and did that. It's just been a night and day experience so far.
It's overstated since legendary effectiveness reduces as you level beyond 110, though the binary legendaries, like the Balance druid one that allows moon fire to hit an extra target, are completely turned off once you hit 116.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It's not just legendaries. A bunch of the secondary effects from Legion items (e.g. Convergence of Fates) also stop working after 115, though many trinkets still work at 120.

Crone

Oh that's ok then. This paladin hit 110 and didn't do much else the rest of Legion so I don't have anything that'll not work at 116.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Im wondering how a 110 with no legendaries feels as they scale.

My BRM was able to pull 20 mobs at 110 and destroy them. At 120 if I pulled 20 mobs I'd be dead in 3 seconds.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

My BRM was able to pull 20 mobs at 110 and destroy them. At 120 if I pulled 20 mobs I'd be dead in 3 seconds.
Pretty much the same as 120. Fighting 1-2 mobs at a time. Did it with priest and mage with no legos or set pieces. My druid is only 113 so still feels strong, but annoying as fuck to play since moon fire spam (talent+lego) just let's you chain pull 3 mobs at a time with no time for any semblance of a rotation.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I did a Demon Hunter from fresh to max level a couple weeks ago. I leveled in Havoc. I was able to basically pull 5-10 mobs at a clip and memebeam them down before dying which coincidentally put me back to full health. I died once or twice by getting stunned before getting my eye lazor off. At 120 I basically pull anything I want that's not a super elite rare named mob without worry of dying. There isn't much change. Demon hunter might be a pretty unique class though as they have a decent amount of self healing, two aoe stuns and significant burst aoe every 30 seconds.

On the druid I leveled in Bear and with the aoe thrash legos it felt really good. It started slowing down at 118ish but I was choosing the feral traits on Azerite that bear can also use. at 120 it wasn't awesome. I wasn't dying but my dps was awful. When I switched to doing WQ's in Boomkin it was still kind of awful and I couldn't pull more then 2-3 mobs without fear of dying.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Third boss in temple is harder, imo.

What he said. If I play correctly I can drop my stacks without outside help for first boss of TD, I absolutely require someone else in the party with a taunt / understanding of how to time it to succeed with the third boss in Temple. Makes it much harder.

Last edited: