World of Warcraft: Current Year

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
God this game... I ended up doing some "spring cleaning" this morning before work. I deleted all my old alts from all servers. All I have left is my main (since Vanilla) and a bank alt. Part of me almost wants to delete those too and just be done with WoW but I'm torn. Firstly, I'm just a week's grinding away from getting Flying, and secondly... well, when you've played the same character for all expansions since Vanilla, you do get a bit attached. But on the flip side, being a hunter, what originally "made" it for me back in the day is no longer in the game. When I first played a hunter back about 4 months before BC I was blown away by how amazing hunters were. The pet was more than just a stat stick to me, I loved the pet management aspect, and have used the same pet since level 11, The Rake from Mulgore (as a NE, the epic journey from Elwyn Forrest where I leveled up to Mulgore earned me an entire level from 10). After countless expansions they've gutted the pet mechanic so much he's at best a stat stick, and at worst, possibly even a hindrance. I play BM just for stubbornness if anything, though I would probably do better being a petless MM hunter. But I just can't do it.

So this morning I came to the realisation that I pretty much have three options now:
1. Continue playing WoW, play my hunter and just keep going.
2. Delete my hunter and find a new class to try. It would probably be a Shaman, as I did level one healing dungeons way back when. I loved it until they changed totem mechanics, but I still think it's the most fun healing class.
3. Delete my bank alt and hunter and just quit playing WoW for good.

If I do do one of the first two, it would be mostly doing shit like old dungeons for gear collecting, pet battles and archeaology with the odd heroic or even M+. I just can't be arsed with raiding any more. But that comes into what some mentioned above, that WoW is basically a glorified Trading Card Game.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
God this game... I ended up doing some "spring cleaning" this morning before work. I deleted all my old alts from all servers. All I have left is my main (since Vanilla) and a bank alt. Part of me almost wants to delete those too and just be done with WoW but I'm torn. Firstly, I'm just a week's grinding away from getting Flying, and secondly... well, when you've played the same character for all expansions since Vanilla, you do get a bit attached. But on the flip side, being a hunter, what originally "made" it for me back in the day is no longer in the game. When I first played a hunter back about 4 months before BC I was blown away by how amazing hunters were. The pet was more than just a stat stick to me, I loved the pet management aspect, and have used the same pet since level 11, The Rake from Mulgore (as a NE, the epic journey from Elwyn Forrest where I leveled up to Mulgore earned me an entire level from 10). After countless expansions they've gutted the pet mechanic so much he's at best a stat stick, and at worst, possibly even a hindrance. I play BM just for stubbornness if anything, though I would probably do better being a petless MM hunter. But I just can't do it.

So this morning I came to the realisation that I pretty much have three options now:
2. Delete my hunter and find a new class to try. It would probably be a Shaman, as I did level one healing dungeons way back when. I loved it until they changed totem mechanics, but I still think it's the most fun healing class.

If I do do one of the first two, it would be mostly doing shit like old dungeons for gear collecting, pet battles and archeaology with the odd heroic or even M+. I just can't be arsed with raiding any more. But that comes into what some mentioned above, that WoW is basically a glorified Trading Card Game.

Or just quit? It isn't worth playing right now, but it might be in 5 years after they sell it to the same company that bought EQ2.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Once you've been doing something for a long time and you've got habit and obligation intertwined in the behavior it can be really hard to look at it objectively. Give it a rest and see how you feel. Cancel your sub and uninstall the game to create distance. It will force you to make actual decisions about what you want to do next. After some time goes by you might find yourself with some things you still want to do. You might also find that you don't miss it at all and it was just repetition keeping you going. Either is fine and either way you'll put yourself back in the driver's seat.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
My problem with WoW is that every game-as-a-service has converged slowly on the same set of solutions to keep people playing and rake in the cash from the "service".

FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out.

For WoW, there's time-limited exclusives, which are still only relatively few (the mount drops who go from reasonable to 0.01%, the ahead of the curve achieves, mainly), but it's mainly "if you don't play today, you will never really catch up" dailies. You end up structuring your life around the fact that you need to play everyday, or you will feel like you're slipping behind. You can ignore that, but it is very hard to - which is why it works out very well.

Outside of WoW, you have the same sets. Hooks that say "play regularly, or lose". Dailies. Timed requirements. Season passes. All these things mean that if you play, you will tend to play everyday, or feel guilty you've missed the day's haul.

I used to play a few F2P web games, but they all had the same dailies (or, in some cases, the "harvest every X hours, or your buildings will be idle after they're done") that require you to play a minimum of twice a day. I tried MTG Arena... but it's the same - you need your cards when they come out, or you lose out, and you need to do your daily quests or you lose out forever on your season pass.

Some people are more resilient to those hooks, but for me, there's very little choice. If I play, I HAVE to play every day, or I will feel bad about it. So I don't.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My problem with WoW is that every game-as-a-service has converged slowly on the same set of solutions to keep people playing and rake in the cash from the "service".

FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out.

For WoW, there's time-limited exclusives, which are still only relatively few (the mount drops who go from reasonable to 0.01%, the ahead of the curve achieves, mainly), but it's mainly "if you don't play today, you will never really catch up" dailies. You end up structuring your life around the fact that you need to play everyday, or you will feel like you're slipping behind. You can ignore that, but it is very hard to - which is why it works out very well.

Outside of WoW, you have the same sets. Hooks that say "play regularly, or lose". Dailies. Timed requirements. Season passes. All these things mean that if you play, you will tend to play everyday, or feel guilty you've missed the day's haul.

I used to play a few F2P web games, but they all had the same dailies (or, in some cases, the "harvest every X hours, or your buildings will be idle after they're done") that require you to play a minimum of twice a day. I tried MTG Arena... but it's the same - you need your cards when they come out, or you lose out, and you need to do your daily quests or you lose out forever on your season pass.

Some people are more resilient to those hooks, but for me, there's very little choice. If I play, I HAVE to play every day, or I will feel bad about it. So I don't.

Their decision to include FOMO into their game reward structure is what started killing the game for me. It used to be that you could always work on older content and collect shit that you missed, and it provided a lot of time consuming content that you could work towards. Then they started relying heavily on things like AOTC mounts, legendaries that can no longer be worked on, mage tower skins, limited time event rewards (think siege of org quest stuff leading up to the raid) and many other time restricted stuff.

The real bastard decision for me was the SOO aotc wolf mount that I had no idea existed until after it was no longer obtainable, and it's probably my favourite looking mount model. So I started approaching WoD/Legion with this unhealthy urge to play the game even when I didn't want to just so I wouldn't lock myself out of rewards.

Early MoP was so good for just logging in and having years worth of old content you could do to your hearts content, and it was fun. Then they switched into making you worry about missing shit and it became a tasklist of shit you had to do within a certain time period or you could no longer be a collector of shit with any hope of having complete or near-complete collections of things.

The frustration and dislike for stuff like this made me look objectively at my collection habits for shit I didn't even really want, and that killed half of the reason I would ever resub to the game.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I have an aversion to FOMO mechanics, hell, even daily quests piss me off. Even though I'm a completionist whore there are still some BC factions I have not finished getting to Exhaulted since I hate dailies. WQ were a steup up though. I could just quit and leave my characters, but I've done that since MoP. Always come back, bought the xpac, played a while (usually around the beginning and end of xpacs) and ended up regretting the time and money invested. The way I see it, I either keep on playing and spending time and money on it, even if infrequently, or I just finally once and for all kick the habbit and just delete it all and say fuck Blizz. For what it's worth, this is the first time since I started playing WoW that I actually want to quit full time and never look back. The times before I quit and hoped to return when the game was better. Now I have lost all hope that it will be good again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good to know you are complete bullshit and don't even know wtf is happening. Fight literally does not work right now, it's not really crying. BFA same as Legion amirite?
I know what's happening, doesn't change the fact that they are cry babies. They blame Blizzard every time they lose a fictional race. It's pretty fucking sad.

Let's get in to it again if you want. There is nothing that makes Legion better than BFA. Adding a random mount drop to dailies does not make them good. Dailies still suck balls. I would think the realizations over the last pages would actually make you guys start thinking about it.

Legion was -
Get random artifact that changed your power level by a massive amount. Oh yeah, and we capped the number you can reasonably get. Got a bad one? Sucks to suck, roll an alt.

Grind AP. The tree didn't matter. There were no choices. You were in to a point where it was just a stat upgrade super fast. It wasn't thought provoking or engaging.

What was so different about it? Mage tower chasing transmogs? I did mine in a day. Sweet content that lasted a whole day... Also transmogs aren't content. Mounts aren't content.

Essences suck for alts and having to do pvp is aids. Bad system is bad. I guess this sets it apart and it came in half way through?

The new M plus 10 rotating is pretty cool. People will claim that in legion you had path choices but, like everything in wow, there was a guide by some high level autist and you followed it because they were right. So every path was the same.

I thought flying was easier to get in Legion so I guess that was a plus. I still haven't gotten BFA flying because I can't stomach that many dailies.

• 1Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Amazing. An entire expansion almost gone, and Fyff is still in here telling everyone how wrong they are about everything.

I don't even have to play the shit show that is BfA to enjoy this sideshow attraction. Awesome.

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

1. When the portal to the mythic phase area spawned, Limit just ignored it and nuked the boss.
2. The boss bugged out and didn't do anything outside of his AoE nova attack.
3. Limit got the boss to about 20-25% and then his shield went up.
4. When Limit did the secret phase and came back, the boss despawned.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amazing. An entire expansion almost gone, and Fyff is still in here telling everyone how wrong they are about everything.

I don't even have to play the shit show that is BfA to enjoy this sideshow attraction. Awesome.
Tell me how Legion was better than BFA? Was it the mounts in your dailies? Was it having a guild before your raid leader bailed? BFA has certainly gotten worse as it has gone along. I even pointed out in my post some things that have made BFA get worse. 11 months of basically no new content is going to make BFA go down as probably the worst expansion in history. I just think you guys loft Legion up like it was amazing. The invention of MPlus was really cool. Other than that Legion kind of sucked.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I liked all the stuff with Illidan's story and the Demon Hunter class a whole lot. He was just so happy when you were on Argus fucking up the Burning Legion's shit. It may sound dumb but I'm completely serious.

Demon Hunter Vulpera when.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
3o0thr.jpg

It really is a shame Furor went from someone who would lose his shit over this kind of garbage and then not releases it. Live long enough to become the villain I guess.

Also I have been saying for years that Dailies are the worst thing to ever be added to an MMORPG game, followed closely by Achievement points. Believe it or not there used to be a time when games didn't have that kind of bullshit and you just decided on your own what you felt like doing in game.

• 9Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3o0thr.jpg

It really is a shame Furor went from someone who would lose his shit over this kind of garbage and then not releases it. Live long enough to become the villain I guess.

Also I have been saying for years that Dailies are the worst thing to ever be added to an MMORPG game, followed closely by Achievement points. Believe it or not there used to be a time when games didn't have that kind of bullshit and you just decided on your own what you felt like doing in game.
Turns out you still can. Unless you want to race for the best at pixels in the world, you can just run the content you enjoy.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Tell me how Legion was better than BFA? Was it the mounts in your dailies? Was it having a guild before your raid leader bailed? BFA has certainly gotten worse as it has gone along. I even pointed out in my post some things that have made BFA get worse. 11 months of basically no new content is going to make BFA go down as probably the worst expansion in history. I just think you guys loft Legion up like it was amazing. The invention of MPlus was really cool. Other than that Legion kind of sucked.
No matter how shitty the dailies or the grind were in Legion, there was the story, and it was vintage Warcraft. It was relatable. It had all the major players, there was a goal that wasn't absolute bullshit, and it wasn't full-on Alliance ("good" guys) vs. Horde ("bad" guys), which is the usual tripe that we're all tired of by now.

BfA undid all of that in the intro cinematics. I'm not even talking about the rest of the expansion.

Stop trying to stir the shit. BfA can't even get off its knees long enough to attempt to measure up to Legion. That doesn't mean Legion didn't have its faults; it does mean that BfA sucks and has virtually no redeeming qualities.

Edit: Oh, and about the raid leader bailing bit -- Furor himself couldn't have held the guild together against BfA. People didn't like the (lack of any) content, so they left. Period. That's not on me.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
BFA beeing the GoD of WoW is so on point.

Came right after the best xpac (legion/PoP) and completely shit on the player base.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Imagine testing the last boss of the expansion.

They are aware the fight wasn't working as intended but lmaoooooo
I remember this one. Doesn't go "you have two weeks" or something?

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah I have an aversion to FOMO mechanics, hell, even daily quests piss me off. Even though I'm a completionist whore there are still some BC factions I have not finished getting to Exhaulted since I hate dailies. WQ were a steup up though. I could just quit and leave my characters, but I've done that since MoP. Always come back, bought the xpac, played a while (usually around the beginning and end of xpacs) and ended up regretting the time and money invested. The way I see it, I either keep on playing and spending time and money on it, even if infrequently, or I just finally once and for all kick the habbit and just delete it all and say fuck Blizz. For what it's worth, this is the first time since I started playing WoW that I actually want to quit full time and never look back. The times before I quit and hoped to return when the game was better. Now I have lost all hope that it will be good again.
I stopped playing a year ago now, and haven't felt the urge to play at all. The FOMO bullshit always annoyed me, but was never what I cared about ultimately. Although a huge FU to the bastard who shoved their fist up everyone's assholes with the MoP cape system.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm just getting my last raid boss achievement for completeness and then shutting it down. Losing my raid guild I'd been running with since the end of TBC knocked out the counterweight of enjoyable raiding that made modern WoW bearable.

xzi

Mouthbreather

So, it's all objective and you'll disagree anyways. But here's a few reasons for me personally (and let it be known I think Legion was the best expansion they've ever released, including wotlk).

First, Legion was genuinely fun to play. Past your first 32(??) traits on your weapon there wasn't a real large reason to grind AP. There was more or less an endpoint and there was such a massive wall to continue leveling it for 0.5% of a stat point. AP was annoying but for like... 2 months. Later on it became relevant again when they added extra traits on the weapons but again, that was like 2 months. And then you were done if you wanted to be.

The lore of the entire expansion if you care about that thing - it all connected together in some way and it was all relevant to the ultimate endpoint of the expansion. BFA had about 5 storylines and none of them relevant to each other in any way except Azshara and N'Zoth. I guess you could make the argument they tied Sylvanas to Azshara sort of by making us sail out in the ocean randomly.

Playing alts was genuinely more enjoyable because there was far less of a wall to make them be playable. All you needed was the gear and artifact level, which by the end of the expansion was insanely easy to acquire, as opposed to now you have all the gear but you need the neck level or you can't wear that gear, (less of a problem than it was a patch ago of course), you need the essences, and now you need the proper corruption if you'd like to be any useful inside a group. Or else you're just casually missing 60% of the damage you should be doing.

FUCKING. GCDS.

This is a picky one - but movespeed sets. Getting 280% movespeed on my paladin was an accomplishment and clearing old raids was the most fun I've ever had doing legacy content. Down to the point where I learned where critters spawn so I could plan my route to have the maximum movespeed from bear tartare. It's something that was literally only useful in lower level content and they decided to remove it. Not only did they remove it but they made bear tartare basically useless and never replaced it with anything. You CAN still do movespeed sets on warriors and druids but only if you cap it at 111 at the highest but it's neutered and nowhere near as good as it once was. I genuinely can't think of any reason for them to remove these other than to slow everyone down to milk as much playtime as possible out of players.

M+ was fucking fun and you were allowed to play how you'd like. Building sets to specifically deal with the dungeon how you'd like is player choice that for some reason they decided to remove. Your team comp want to make big pulls? Put on your big boy aoe pants and blast, switch before the final boss if you'd like. Just like raids you could change your play between bosses but can't have any of that, gotta make things for the MDI. A larger issue I have with M+ in its current state is having tyrannical or fortified being on EVERY single key above a level 2 is fucking stupid. I don't need help in lower keys and it's not an issue but the point of an ever-increasing difficulty was that lower levels were doable for casuals and not having to deal with a boss doing 25% more damage on a +3 key.

Even these world first races going on right now, they've had a few mdi players speaking about how blizzard just made the dungeons be enjoyable to watch more than they made them enjoyable to play and they just keep doing it despite everyone that participates complaining.

PvP a lot of people enjoyed more because stat templates. I personally didn't like it but I get the idea of trying to make a competitive environment they tried to make everyone on the same playing level. Everyone that just did casual battlegrounds on the forums and reddit loved it because they actually had a chance even on a newer character.

my only real problems with legion were the items you had to put in your weapons at the end of the expansion, followed by the RNG of the forge. Which really should have shown us all exactly what was to come in BFA. I didn't even mind legendaries because there was EVENTUALLY a point where you were going to get them. I would have been far more mad about them if I was raiding in a very serious guild. Broken Shore was also pretty mediocre until they added the towers in, but was surrounded by much more content to do anyways

there's probably more but this is more than anyone is going to read anyways

tl;dr;
Legion was pretty much solid the entire expansion
BFA is in an okay state to play now (aside from corruption and essences), but it took 2 years for it to be okay instead of mediocre

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user