World of Warcraft: Current Year

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Speaking of the story the shit they are doing with Sylvanas still makes no goddamn sense. I guess everyone thinks there is going to be some big M. Night Shamalamadingdong twist at the end but who gives a shit. We're bringing back WAR to WARCRAFT AGAIN LOLOLOLOLOOLOL, forget about that time we teamed up to stop the burning legion. Also BIG GIANT FUCKING SWORD IN AZEROTH, lets forget about that for most of the expansion LOLOLOL. So far the story has been WAKANDA FOREVER and Sylvanas BAD. We all knew the xpac would revolve around old gods but no they had to put the war back in warcraft with WARMODE. Fuck you Blizzard. Tell a decent fucking story and you killed PvP ages ago faggots.

Yeah they don't need the story to put the War in Warcraft. We're a bunch of roaming murder hobos. Both factions could be at peace next expansion and make no official declarations of war, but they know that both sides will hire mercenaries (players) to do their dirty work. We will happily slaughter each other over every single bear ass we can collect.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
It's not even "World of Warcraft" anymore. It's Warcraft in space, the arctic, fire, time.

What offends me most, being in the software development channel, is that I know they have all of these ideas written down and listed in their backlog. But for whatever reason, the shittiest parts bubble to the top because they're the easiest to fund and complete in the time lines dictated by their content master, Shitlord Ion.

You know how much cool content was actually burned and scrapped in this game. Shit you can even see in Classic places were they were going to have more instances that were just cut off. WoD had so much content cut it was pathetic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
But for whatever reason, the shittiest parts bubble to the top because they're the easiest to fund and complete in the time lines dictated by their content master, Shitlord Ion.
I am pretty sure Ion isn't making the decisions what gets funded and what gets axed. They just pitch their ideas and project plans (including costs and risks) to the board of directors and/or the CEO of the company. And Blizzard doesn't have a CEO anymore, just a "president."

You really think the board of directors would let some developers decide the future of their cash cow?

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The organic nature of what the game is was lost somewhere along the way. Probably after Wrath. I'd say BC, but both pulled on monstrous lore aspects. Cataclysm had that opportunity, but people didn't give a fuck about the black drake when he was covered as far back as BWL, with no additional lore between two expansions.
A few people said it, but the "right" way would be to branch WoW Classic.

Run WoW Classic as Vanilla, and after Phase 6, announce the first expansion to WoW Classic... The Shores of Northrend.

You would run Classic as a complete fork of WoW, reusing the massive assets produced for the current game, but keeping the classic design. I'd skip over Outland for now, since Northrend would not be easier to redesign than Outland, but it would be a very good test bed to how to do such a Classic line.

Guiding principle: keep every quirk and weird from vanilla, remove only the worst part that really, really don't work, integrate only the parts that fit.

No new races, since you skip Outland. No Jewelcraft (you might salvage it, but it's an odd). No DAILIES (you can keep repeatable quests from vanilla, but dailies? GTFO). No heroic mode for dungeons; if you want heroic modes, you make "max+" dungeons tuned slightly above. No 10/25 man raids, you'll keep 20/40. And, of course, the WoW devs are happy that flying does not exists.

Northrend is also a good place to go, since you're fresh out of counter-attacking, destroying Naxxaramas and blunting the LK's assault. Instead of sleeping for a couple year until someone randomly opens up the Dark Portal and you feel the need to fuck up Illidan instead of letting him go against the Legion, you push back and counterattack. So straight Nax->Northrend makes sense.

The main challenges: cleaning some of the storyline. Redoing the stories since phasing is shit and needs to go. And if the quest writers complain, remind them that "limitations breed creativity". You need to redo the whole phasing, which means mainly that:
  • You need to redo the Wrathgate story (can't phase Wrathgate, can't invade phased Undercity, and Saurfang Jr is still hidden away on Nagrand anyway)
  • You need to redo the entire dual factions of Sholazar (no phasing, no dailies)
  • You need to redo the whole Icecrown (it's absolutely insane to navigate without flying, plus massive phasing to invade)
  • You need to redo the Dalaran/Blue Dragonflight issue (the concept of a neutral capital is one that doesn't fit Classic)
Things you need to keep:
  • +% crit/haste, etc. The main issue that comes from the handful of items that have only/more than half +%. The +% value grow over levels, but if the rest of the item doesn't grow, it will become lesser over time.
  • Skills. Keep that.
  • Horde Paladins (Taurens, of course) and Alliance Shaman (Dwarves, of course)
  • Argent Dawn. What's this Argent Crusade shit?
  • Alchemy Specialization, probably add another (Mining Spec: more elements or more gems?)
  • Faction Tabards. The best invention of LK, I think.
I'd do the inverse of the planned level squish: Make the expansion 60-75 instead of 60-70. Quest items at lvl 60 in Howling Fjord have the same ilvl/items as greens in Winterspring, and stretch more slowly items. Make naked stat growth slightly slower; the idea would be that 60-75 is equivalent to leveling from 30-60. Since you don't have spell scaling and talent trees, you still yield lots of new ability per 2-3 levels.

That's a rough outline. You need probably a replacement for some stuff (Coliseum - without the dailies, it doesn't make sense). I'd also use this as a testbed for cut-n-paste creation of original content from existing maps. Glue together a handful of titan-themed places and see if you can add a dungeon in Sholazar for example (with the Oracle/Frenzyheart conflict reused as an intro for the dungeon): The Titan Archive.

You can sell that to the beancounters by tying it to the current expansion: if you don't purchase the current expansion, you don't have access to the Classic expansion. Probably would be a hard sell as a separate expansion since it's a copy and paste.

The biggest problem: as you said, if that shit happened, you would have 80% of the players playing Classic rather than Modern.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Level squish will only work if they make a sustainable model for progression that won't need a squish ever again.

Make max level be 100. Stats will stay fairly even, in all future content. Maybe max Health of 9999 and Mana of 999 like a Final Fantasy game. Keep numbers under control around those levels.

Have an alternate advancement system where you gain exp for clearing max level raids instead of zone quests. Have current players start at AA level 20, so people don't feel like they lost something. Alternate advancement would need to grant different bonuses to levelelling up, maybe skill based things like Artifacts were. Have a parallel system for PvP where you also start at level 20 and gain levels for doing PvP.

New expansion zones won't need to give exp so design then around crafting materials, story quests to unlock dungeons/raids and world PvP. When a new expansion is released demote some of the zones to lower levels to give alternate levelling paths for alts. Like Icecrown would always stay max level but Howling Fjord could be a lv50 zone.

Gear progression will stall if the level cap stays at 100 so have loads more stats and players gaining different armour sets for different situations. Like you need fireproof armour for Molten Core, you'd get a starter set from doing Searing Gorge and Blakrock Depths though.

Bring back ALL the old skills but limit players to only having something like 10 skills at a time, so there's lots of alternate builds for each class to keep things interesting with different gear needed to suit each. Like Diablo 3 (urgh).

Like everyone rushes to max level anyway, why have the charade of gaining 10 more levels and obseleting the previous 10 levels?

• 1Barf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Wouldn't even need a level squish if they put something in that rewarded you with character choice or active progression on level up. The prime issue with it now is that you get very few things across a wide range of levels and they're mostly frontloaded. Bring the fucking talent trees and spell/skill ranks back to start.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was having the very same thought earlier today. Squish everyone back to level 1, make all new content for the next expansion occur in Azeroth. We don't need new fucking areas every expansion. The fact that they don't employ their existing assets is actually pretty terrible dev managent.

Most of the existing content is rotting if you're not farming bullshit that's not relevant to current content. Feel it'd be a lot more engaging if I had to go back to Blackrock Spire because baby Blackwing took over, and redesign it.
The old existing content isn't rotting. People here lost their shit when they couldn't teleport to old content in 4 seconds and had to walk there, experiencing other old content.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The old existing content isn't rotting. People here lost their shit when they couldn't teleport to old content in 4 seconds and had to walk there, experiencing other old content.
They're just punching through an instance for a mount drop, and the portals were the fastest way to get there. That is not content. That's scratching off the rest of a lottery card when you've already lost.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Wouldn't even need a level squish if they put something in that rewarded you with character choice or active progression on level up. The prime issue with it now is that you get very few things across a wide range of levels and they're mostly frontloaded. Bring the fucking talent trees and spell/skill ranks back to start.

This is the real reason level squish is being considered.

If they want to keep the exact same levels I'm fine with it, but my shaman literally went from level 80 to level 120 with absolutely nothing new and it's fucking disgusting, it feels like the biggest waste of time ever put in a videogame. I mean I got 2 talents right, but they make no difference whatsoever until you're 120.

Either make levels mean something, and reward something, or just remove them at this point. May as well remove them completely given how scaling works now.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't see how anyone could be against a level squish. 120 levels is too much and having to wait 15 levels to get a new skill is idiotic. it's also a big driving factor in the journey feeling sterile and meaningless. Nobody wants to slog through 120 levels of a "vanilla" experience. It's too much to have anything along the way be truly engaging. The game is too old and it would take too long. The 7.3.5 leveling changes were proof of that.

Level squish would be a very welcome thing. It isn't "just a number".

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Also if they want to do something to make leveling relevant, they should make professions relevant and allow you to actually craft and use old world shit as well, even at max level. What's the point anymore to take any profession when you're not 120? Outside of engineering getting like.. rocket boots. Maybe if you want to level cooking to make deviate delights. Glyphs for extremely niche sales?

They already fucked up the game with scaling, why not scale me some TBC items and let me craft and use Deep Thunder in current content fuck you

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't see how anyone could be against a level squish. 120 levels is too much and having to wait 15 levels to get a new skill is idiotic. it's also a big driving factor in the journey feeling sterile and meaningless. Nobody wants to slog through 120 levels of a "vanilla" experience. It's too much to have anything along the way be truly engaging. The game is too old and it would take too long. The 7.3.5 leveling changes were proof of that.

Level squish would be a very welcome thing. It isn't "just a number".
You know they'll do something like "this expac you only need 5 levels" but the exp will be the same. I think it's just a number. I

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly I think they should get rid of leveling past your first character. It doesn't take long but it's not fun or engaging. They won't because people buy boosts but if you are slow and bad like me it still only takes like 35 to 40 hours to hit cap. I think my shaman I was at cap and ilvl 385 in 40 hours played.

Warmode giving extra exp is also retarded. All it does is motivate idiots who are bored at 120 to go grief people leveling. If you don't have it on you are gimping yourself but having it on makes you a target.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You know they'll do something like "this expac you only need 5 levels" but the exp will be the same. I think it's just a number. I

Just a number but it will "100% make you not return to the game"...

Alrighty.

• 2Worf

xzi

Mouthbreather
Warmode giving extra exp is also retarded. All it does is motivate idiots who are bored at 120 to go grief people leveling. If you don't have it on you are gimping yourself but having it on makes you a target.

I fly around on my druid constantly shifting from bird to cat form with track humanoids on to find low levels on the map

some of you are alright, don't come to STV tomorrow

• 1Worf

Kay

Golden Squire
Why the hell did they slow down the leveling if they're going to squish levels later? Also, why the hell are they asking your opinion on the squish if it's something they're going to do anyway? "Really, this time we might care what your opinion is!"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just a number but it will "100% make you not return to the game"...

Alrighty.
I meant internally it's just a number, who cares

I think squishes are retarded. But again, blizzard had to go fuckin exponential or geometrical in the past so numbers are insane.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Level squish will only work if they make a sustainable model for progression that won't need a squish ever again.
They can't. The only reason you need a level squish is that they simply removed every single level reward, and only left the wrong bits.

The original model had spell/skill ranks. You did repurchase a new rank every 10-16 levels, which made you feel like you progressed, since with enough spell lines, you could twist those every 2 levels.

(by the way, the reason those spells are every two levels? If you look at the original designs in John Staadt's book, you'll see that the original game was 1-25, before they had to inflate levels so that you'd get more dings)

The original model had talent points and tree. You got a new talent point every level, which helped making your feel stronger.

The current model? Every level, your %/rating ratio decreases, while your ennemies ding at the same time as you do, meaning you become WEAKER with every level. Oh, and they know it, they just don't have a simple solution that doesn't begin with "let's scratch all this."

As an aside, and as I posted in my "let's fork Classic from Modern" post, the whole rating debacle is a stupid thing that is entirely linked to... trinkets.

If you have an item with +0.78% crit, then, as your level increases, the effectiveness of that stat increases vs the level at which you got it. Which, by the way, is exactly what happens at max level, when you increase your other items rather than your naked stats.

However, if the total of +% on an item is half or even less, then it's not a big issue. The flat stats (+STA, +INT, +whatever) don't change, meaning the item's value in those areas remain fixed. As a result, the item doesn't grow in ilvl as fast as your level, and it ends up weaker at the end. So the only items where this is an issue are the items that have only "rating-based" stats. Simply nerf whatever +haste trinket you have to have STA/haste or INT/haste or whatever, and you won. Now, you can give +% to people, and they no longer become weaklings.

(of course, it would help if your base stats didn't grow so fast between levels)

All of the current mudflation problems come from picking the wrong solutions in order to make people feel good all the time without raising the barriers to entry. Fuck, when your entire raiding scene requires you to increase the stats by +140% over an expansion, you do end up with problems everywhere as your design strains to accommodate this.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Remove levels completely. Make it so you need to finish each zone achievement for the expansion to be able to enter the raids. Make those quest lines a bit shorter and move some of those quests into side quest lines. Each zone has a single dungeon, normal you unlock in the middle of the quest line, heroic you unlock at the end of the quest line. Mythics are tied to finishing the dungeon on heroic once and all the zone quest lines done. You make a target amount of hours of where you think people should be in order to do these unlocks and tailor the quest lines to match that.

Call it a day.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity