World of Warcraft: Current Year

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I cancelled again for two reasons. I don't know anybody who plays WoW anymore, and I just don't care about the Dragon Isles, at all.

No complaints about the game mechanically, I think it's in a great place. Several classes I've enjoyed this time round, leveled them all into the 60s, the reworks, talents trees etc... it's all really good stuff. Probably, I'm just done with Azeroth in general.
Yes I wholeheartly agree the game itself is in a good shape it's just 20 years doing the same thing with different colors on and the direction it went over time, really need something fresh and not the same type of content every expansion. I was so relieved when I hit exalted with the 4 factions in DF "finally that chore is over" and the +1 motivation is also fading with 1000 mounts, 800 toys and 2000 battle pets in the game.

I just noticed that I can not go back to older MMOs like EQ, Lotro, Swtor and get a notalgic fix. They all changed for the better or worse over time. I revisited EQ2 recently and max level my char hit for 1.6 bill damaged and healed for 83 mill hp each tick among other ridiculous power creep issues like "oh you need to farm xy artificial stat otherwise the entrance door to this heroic dungeon will kill you upon zoning in".

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
Yes I wholeheartly agree the game itself is in a good shape it's just 20 years doing the same thing with different colors on and the direction it went over time, really need something fresh and not the same type of content every expansion. I was so relieved when I hit exalted with the 4 factions in DF "finally that chore is over" and the +1 motivation is also fading with 1000 mounts, 800 toys and 2000 battle pets in the game.

I just noticed that I can not go back to older MMOs like EQ, Lotro, Swtor and get a notalgic fix. They all changed for the better or worse over time. I revisited EQ2 recently and max level my char hit for 1.6 bill damaged and healed for 83 mill hp each tick among other ridiculous power creep issues like "oh you need to farm xy artificial stat otherwise the entrance door to this heroic dungeon will kill you upon zoning in".
Before DF it was a 4 year break for me, so I've tried in vain to get back into all the old staples, like you mentioned. After a couple of days with each one, it became clear I wasn't really having fun, and that was that.

Probably the biggest bummer was the new LoTRO MMO getting cancelled, was really looking forward to that one. Not feeling terribly interested in AoC either tbh.
Maybe RIOT's MMO, but god knows how far away that is?

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I cancelled again for two reasons. I don't know anybody who plays WoW anymore, and I just don't care about the Dragon Isles, at all.

No complaints about the game mechanically, I think it's in a great place. Several classes I've enjoyed this time round, leveled them all into the 60s, the reworks, talents trees etc... it's all really good stuff. Probably, I'm just done with Azeroth in general.
Same thing here, mechanically, the classes I played were more fun than the previous two xpacs and maybe even legion, but they were never going to get me to care about their shit lore again.

I have a couple weeks left, and I wont be renewing, but my expectation were always that the xpac would only last a few months.

I finished the heroic raid, but due to how M+ is set up, most of the gear (outside of tier) was worthless to half of the raid by the time we killed the boss...except for the few rare trinkets that they made overpowered, where they are BiS for every class that can use them (including tanks/healers competing with DPS).

I didn't do much M+ at all (didn't complete a single mythic raid level (418) token) yet, outside of tier, I think I was using 2 items (6 including tier) that actually dropped in the raid, everything else was from the weekly chest or crafted.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I revisited EQ2 recently and max level my char hit for 1.6 bill damaged and healed for 83 mill hp each tick among other ridiculous power creep issues like "oh you need to farm xy artificial stat otherwise the entrance door to this heroic dungeon will kill you upon zoning in".

EQ2 live is a mistake. The TLE servers used to be an interesting diversion but they broke those too. Quests give like 2% exp, but in a group a dungeon mob almost gives 10% per kill(!). So of course people hit max level in a few hours, then their idea of end game content is the 'hunters' quest line for BiS items with like 5x the stats of raid items. You have to run through 3 dungeons a day for it, so by that point people only log in for it, and god help you if you slow down their dungeon run, or fuck up a skip lol. It's a job now!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Why are you against Turtle Wow? It looks pretty solid.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
They banned GDKP runs. Fail.
They banned GDKP because it doesn't meet their philosophy of the server and are sticking to their guns. I think that's fair, and I don't blame you for not playing if you only play WoW to do GDKP runs.

Turtle WoW started off as a "Classic+" RP PvP realm, much like Project 1999 being a "Classic EQ as 'we' remember it" server - meaning they will ban stuff outright that is possible on EQLive and other emulators simply because their staff can.

It's like the people who want EverQuest Project 1999, but also want boxing - the server staff decided to foster people who want 1 boxing, ultimately, because it makes the game feel more alive (according to them), even if you could run 3 Pentium Is back in 2000, for the sake of 'the environment'.

They'll still do 'non-classic' changes (like permarooting NTOV dragons, increasing the ZEM of commonly used zones like Crushbone to foster group play, etc) and not all of those will be something that appeals to you.

They'll alienate some people who want stuff like boxing, or Krono farming, but that's okay - you're not their target audience and that's fine. Retail/Classic exists for WoW's GDKP, much like Live / TLP exists for people who want GDKP and Krono farming.

The fact that you can tell private servers to fuck off and you can play Retail or Classic still is great. Choices are never bad.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
M+ with a static group really seems to be the best way to play the game nowadays. You're not struggling dealing with retardation in raids, where one person failing mechanics can continually wipe you. There's a gradual slope upward of difficulty with key levels, and you're compensated with best in slot gear just like raiding.

Its so much nicer to have a set group and play 1-2 hours a night doing fun/difficult content that way. Pugging M+ is an absolute nightmare thats gate-kept by autistic try hards though. Do not recommend.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
M+ with a static group really seems to be the best way to play the game nowadays. You're not struggling dealing with retardation in raids, where one person failing mechanics can continually wipe you. There's a gradual slope upward of difficulty with key levels, and you're compensated with best in slot gear just like raiding.

Its so much nicer to have a set group and play 1-2 hours a night doing fun/difficult content that way. Pugging M+ is an absolute nightmare thats gate-kept by autistic try hards though. Do not recommend.
Agreed, I've never pugged m+ since inception so I don't know all the woes people complain about. A static m+ group of friends that play at relatively the same level is the best gaming experience in wow.

Last edited:

Chersk

Trakanon Raider

It’s so much nicer to have a set group and play 1-2 hours a night doing fun/difficult content that way. Pugging M+ is an absolute nightmare thats gate-kept by autistic try hards though. Do not recommend.
I could fund my subscription if I got a dollar every time someone gets a drop they don’t need but leave group instead of trading it.

Burns

Agreed, I've never pugged m+ since inception so I don't know all the woes people complain about. A static m+ group of friends that play at relatively the same level is the best gaming experience in wow.
I have about 50 dungeon runs with guild groups before I am sick of that shit and it feels like a unfun grind for +1 of the same item. No thanks. I would imagine full PuG runs would make that number less than 20.

Raids with a decent/good guild group are much more enjoyable, as you go boss to boss and slowly progress every week; it doesn't feel like you are in the exact same hamster wheel the whole time. When raids are on farm mode, the same thing happens though, and I quickly burn out of the game.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
I have about 50 dungeon runs with guild groups before I am sick of that shit and it feels like a unfun grind for +1 of the same item. No thanks. I would imagine full PuG runs would make that number less than 20.

Raids with a decent/good guild group are much more enjoyable, as you go boss to boss and slowly progress every week; it doesn't feel like you are in the exact same hamster wheel the whole time. When raids are on farm mode, the same thing happens though, and I quickly burn out of the game.
I'm over mythic raids, did that in the past, was always just waiting on the the fight to click for the weakest link.

Burns

I'm over mythic raids, did that in the past, was always just waiting on the the fight to click for the weakest link.
Mythic raids are turrable due to all the design decisions made for the 5 guilds that get "paid" to play the race to world first. Heroic raiding allows you to play with friends with a more varying level of skill and still get the feeling of progressing at a fast enough pace to not be frustrated by all the bullshit min/maxing zero mistakes needed in current wow mythic raids. The level of gear progression in M+ ruined heroic raiding, for me, in this xpac, or at the least, greatly shortened my involvement in it.

• 1Like

Razzes

Trakanon Raider

I have pugged every season of M+ since SL. I'm not sure what you mean by gate-keep, most groups are super chill. Maybe it's a "stay ahead of the curve" thing and avoid the pleb at lower rio.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Mythic raids are turrable due to all the design decisions made for the 5 guilds that get "paid" to play the race to world first. Heroic raiding allows you to play with friends with a more varying level of skill and still get the feeling of progressing at a fast enough pace to not be frustrated by all the bullshit min/maxing zero mistakes needed in current wow mythic raids. The level of gear progression in M+ ruined heroic raiding, for me, in this xpac, or at the least, greatly shortened my involvement in it.
For me, heroic raids are too easy. If they would bring back 10 man versions of mythic raids that would be perfect. I can easily get 10 friends together that play at a high level that can match schedules for 2 nights a week, not so much for 20.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I was gifted the game and thought I'd do a 1 month and done to humor my friend who bought it, but it's actually been nice and I'm entering my second month. Leveled 3 70s so far and all are geared nicely. I have been enjoying the game instead of grudgingly logging in to do wizard chores to stay H/M raid ready.

I got KSM through pugging in my first two weeks playing a class I've never touched and never playing any significant retail time other than Legion and a short stint of BFA during Ny'alotha and now with unlimited valor I've just been blasting lowbies through +2/+3s to cap all my non tier drops. It's extremely pug friendly even at the 15-20 key range. My brick to timed ratio is like 1:20 in close to 200 runs and there are plenty of other people doing the same.

The game is 100% in it's best state that I can recall and this is coming from a overall modern day Blizzard hater.

For me, heroic raids are too easy. If they would bring back 10 man versions of mythic raids that would be perfect. I can easily get 10 friends together that play at a high level that can match schedules for 2 nights a week, not so much for 20.

Agree. It's really hard to fill a full mythic raid group without 1/3 of it being potato based life forms who can't do personal mechanics and/or maintain the dps/hps needed. Everyone knows it's them, they know it's them, but people want to beat their head against the wall instead of putting them where they belong. The bench.

Burns

At this point, asking people to sit so you can try-hard in the mythic raid is silly, breaks up guilds, and makes it so friends cant play together. Then in turn no one wants to raid mythic because they cant find the people when the slower people are asked to sit, and just stop showing up.

Instead, take those lower skilled friends of friends to heroic to have a much more relaxed and fun time.

In the last 3 xpacs, M+ gear didn't trivialize heroic so fast, so it lasted longer/wasn't as easy for a more varied skill level group.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Low skilled players aren't full clearing through heroic ras without the majority of the raid heavily out gearing it and doing 70k+ dps. If a handful of people die in p1/p2 then it's already a wipe waiting to happen in p3. There is personal responsibility needed still and unoptimized, no consumable, poor playing nerds just don't cut the mustard. If you're in a situation where 3-5 people can die without worry then that's great, but most people progging do not have that luxury and let me tell you how much fun it is wiping 25-40 times a night due to 3-5 people in a guild of people who aren't casual but not no lifers and just want to get shit done.